cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
If I sell a MH in Virginia to a Pa resident can I just give him a Bill of Sale and will it work for transport if he gets stopped in either state. He want's me to leave the plate on bu Va says it must be turned in and I don't have faith he will ever return it.
19 REPLIES 19

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Until the vehicle is transferred at a DMV, it is still in your name, no matter which state either one of you are from.

Not in Texas. As I stated, you just log into the State of Texas DMV and remove you from the system and vehicle. There is also a form you can have the buyer sign you can download from the DMV to remove all of your info. I purchased a used vehicle from Car Max last year. The previous owner neglected to delete to history on the GPS/Nav system. I opened it up and found where the woman worked/lived/ate dinner and all sorts of things I am sure she would be upset about. So, I deleted the info. People need to think about this when they sell or trade vehicles---delete your GPS/Nav info. Doug

Still involves the DMV to remove your name from liability, whether online or in person. :B

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Until the vehicle is transferred at a DMV, it is still in your name, no matter which state either one of you are from.

Not in Texas. As I stated, you just log into the State of Texas DMV and remove you from the system and vehicle. There is also a form you can have the buyer sign you can download from the DMV to remove all of your info. I purchased a used vehicle from Car Max last year. The previous owner neglected to delete to history on the GPS/Nav system. I opened it up and found where the woman worked/lived/ate dinner and all sorts of things I am sure she would be upset about. So, I deleted the info. People need to think about this when they sell or trade vehicles---delete your GPS/Nav info. Doug

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Take your plates and a copy of the sale to DMV to prove you have transferred ownership. I'd offer to bring him/her along so they can get a temporary registration if desired, but that's their call. We purchased our rig in NC and the temporary plate was good for 10 days, but we did need to get NC insurance for it all to happen. I contacted DMV beforehand so none of this was a surprise and entire transaction was completed in about 10 minutes.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
He is the one buying the rig so it is his responsibility to transport legally. Have two copies of the Bill of Sale signed so you have one and he should have his own plate and insurance for transport.
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
I did the temp plate thing from VA. Easy to get. I recall it was only good for 10 days or so, enough to get one home. Price was negligible.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
NEVER leave your old Plates or your Toll Tag on any vehicle when selling. ANY toll charge or Traffic infraction or Accident may make YOU liable, regardless of a Bill of Sale. Even if you are NOT liable, getting the problem fixed will involve lots or your time and Money. In Texas, you can go straight to the Texas website and have YOU removed as the legal owner the minute your buyer drives off. Then it is up to the buyer to get legal. Doug

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased mine in Florida and took home to Connecticut. Just got a temp tag.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
The buyer can do whatever he wishes. IF he wants to get a temp tag or use another tag it's up to him. But as a seller I would not be a part of it.

Yeah, this. Unless he wants to pay you to drive it to PA with your plate.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Trumpet Player wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Keep your plate. If he want to put a phony/bogus plate on it just to get home have him use one of his own. I have used my own bogus plate many times for transporting when buying a vehicle.
If your plate is on it you may be liable down the road. Your plate will certainly lead the authorities to you.

And why not go to the local motor vehicle department and get a temp tag and do it the right way?

The buyer can do whatever he wishes. IF he wants to get a temp tag or use another tag it's up to him. But as a seller I would not be a part of it.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely take him to your DMV and have him get the temp permit there. Paper trail showing he bought it from you. If he never transfers it and kills someone with it, you will be protected.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I bought a new car out of state a few years ago. All I had was a little piece of paper stuck in the rear window - you could hardly read it even if you walked up to it when stopped. (I was totally legal BTW)
I traveled through three states that way and no one ever looked twice at it. I think as long as there's anything back there he will be fine so I would grab the plates and send him on his way.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most states do have a temporary plate he can purchase to get his newly purchased motorhome back to his own state. He then registers it and pays sales tax in his own state , if applicable. With the bill of sale, he should be able to purchase said temporary plate. Last time we bought one it was good for 3 days and cost us $15 Check with your licensing bureau to see what is availble. Do not let him keep your plate.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Bill of sale is all he will need if he gets stopped.

Those rules very by state.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide