cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shade tree mechanics out there? Class A pusher vs. Super C.

LaszloP
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to get rid of our 20 year old gas class a and move up to diesel. After many years of nonstop items breaking, thinking it will likely be the case again years down the road as we are about to buy a new diesel model. How easy is it to work on a class A pusher? I would do all my own maintenance including changes of any item that would need it (alternator, compressor, belts, filters etc). Looking at the large Class C Supers on international or freightliner and thinking that they might be easy to do those types of things myself with the tilting hood? Looking for ease of maintenance without having to rely on shops except for the heavy and large jobs. Would appreciate advice.
11 REPLIES 11

bigbro36
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of doing my own oil changes but I don't have an oil pan to hold the 37 quarts I have to drain.

LaszloP
Explorer
Explorer
LaszloP wrote:
Thanks to all for the quick and insightful responses. Happy Easter

LaszloP
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all for their quick and insightful responses. Happy Easter

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm in the side radiator group and you loose too much space with a hood and seats that do not turn around and become part of the living area with a Super C. My driver's seat is excellent... maybe because it has air adjustable lumbar support and six way adjust.

I do all of my own maintenance and most of it requires you to slide under regardless of which type. Putting oil in my DPs engine is easier than on my Freightliner M2.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you'll find out if you ever have a shop work on the motor home, the house part stays a lot cleaner with a front diesel. I'm in the process of ripping up the carpet from the last trip to the shop.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
You can gage most of the advice as helpful, not gospel. Drive both for yourself and make your choice. Floor plan and size should be a bigger factor than service. I believe if you are going to be doing a lot of driving, I would favor the Super C. Let us know what you decide.
Wildmanbaker

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
I work for a school bus/coach company, have driven pushers and front diesels. For what its worth, pushers have a nice smooth quiet ride. However the new front Cummins on the Freightliner chassis have come along way with additional engine insulation for quieter/cooler operation and air ride is becoming a standard feature on the coaches, 50/50 for school buses.

I'm totally disappointed with the noise, heat, ride and drive of our Ford V10 , and not going to keep battling with it. So I talk to the mechanics at work with the question which diesel and why?

They prefer front diesels because they can work on and around them, the pushers they climb into. Apparently as the mechanics age its a major pain to service and repair the coaches compared to removing the hood of a front diesel. If you have all service done its probably a non issue, maybe just a few more dollars. But if your doing most or all of your maintenance maybe you don't want to climb into the limited space of a pusher.

The other issue I have is driver seats, the truck chassis has a much better seat, its not furniture, my experience is better thigh, hip and lumbar support. These are big deals to me because I'm short.
Comes down to personal preference, good luck with choosing whats best for you.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
LaszloP wrote:
We are going to get rid of our 20 year old gas class a and move up to diesel. After many years of nonstop items breaking, thinking it will likely be the case again years down the road as we are about to buy a new diesel model. How easy is it to work on a class A pusher? I would do all my own maintenance including changes of any item that would need it (alternator, compressor, belts, filters etc). Looking at the large Class C Supers on international or freightliner and thinking that they might be easy to do those types of things myself with the tilting hood? Looking for ease of maintenance without having to rely on shops except for the heavy and large jobs. Would appreciate advice.

Laszlop,
Well Sir, first off, there are some things to consider here. One, while both of your potential next coaches are diesel, there's a considerable difference in cab quietness/layout/design and more. The Class A will definitely be a lot quieter. Yes, the Class C Super C will be a bit easier to work on, IF AND WHEN YOU NEED TO. But, it will also be considerably noisier when driving.

And, since you're DRIVING a whole lot more than WORKING on it, as in around 99% more of the time, if it were me, I'd take quiet riding/driving over ease of working on it, every time. And I too do all the work on all of our rolling stock.

And speaking of working on them, yes, maintenance is done but, for the most part, it's considerably less frequent than your average gasser. So, this is just something to consider. The changing of filters etc. is not that big-a deal in class A, rear radiator coaches. Done it for years. Yes a side radiator makes things quite a bit easier. But, it's at its own cost. You see, you have more mechanism that drives that side fan than a rear radiator does so, you have more to worry about and, more that can go wrong.

It doesn't mean they give you trouble on a regular basis, it's just more to think about if and when they do. So, again, take your time, learn about what's better on both (or all three) units and then make an informed decision. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
If ease of maintenance is of upmost concern, the Super C will be easier in most situations.

For me, I would couple that with what type of chassis do I want to ride in/on, in that case I would lean toward the D/P. Those Super C's are first and foremost a TRUCK, and will ride like one, which isn't to say its bad, but a D/P chassis is normally a much more pleasant experience from a ride/noise perspective.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I do most of my own maintenance. On the 8.3 cummins 350 horse
Filters are easy. oil change is easy, change the exhaust manifold not so easy, but done. Between getting down thru the top, up thru the bottom, or in thru the back I can get to everything.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Based upon the above, a Super C or a Class A with a side radiator will meet the bill.. A rear radiator will not allow the access you are wanting...We did the Class A thing as a DP as the ride is very quiet and we can hear each other talking...and have more room after we are set up...I'd drive and look at them and see what your preference is.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)