cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift Inhibit and a crash

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I am cross posting from Tiffin Network since this could have been far more tragic.

I will accept that this was an anomalous occurrence. Unfortunately it resulted in the coach hitting 8 cars and essentially destroying the front end.

I pulled into a parking lot and found that there was insufficient room to complete my turnaround. I got out to guide my wife in maneuvering through the lot - this is not an uncommon behavior for us, in tight quarters I will guide and she will drive. She has over 100,000 miles over 15 years driving our coaches. When she attempted to engage D the dash lit up with "shift inhibit" and the shift panel went dark. Instead of shutting down she tried again and the engine revved and the coach jumped forward hitting 8 cars before stopping.

The great news is no one was injured, not even my wife. I was standing just enough off to the side to avoid getting hit myself.

My question is has anyone else experienced an issue with shift inhibit and subsequent loss of control? FL has declined to inspect the coach unless my Insurer insists. I will let it drop unless I hear about other instances even if no damage was done.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526
21 REPLIES 21

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Reading all the comments I have two of my own at this point.
1. Shift from N to D or R requires foot on Brake
2. E Brake OFF, coach in N no foot on service brake generates warning sound and notice BRAKE NOT SET (approx wording) on the Shift Pad (?)

My wife did not hear or see the latter warning.
Operator error is the easy out for all parties except us!
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes 8 cars......thank goodness she got it stopped it's a miracle there were no injuries.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Bruce_Brown
Tgator1 wrote:
What if ...driver was pushing brake pedal? Vehicles sometimes do strange things. Easy to say driver error, but may stop a thorough investigation which could save lives.

The strength of the brakes far exceeds the strength of not yet moving motorhome.

Try it sometime; hold the brake with one foot then try to accelerate with the other - you won't move.

I feel bad for everyone involved. This is a no win for anyone and I'm certainly not throwing anyone under the bus - no pun intended.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Tgator1
Explorer
Explorer
Makes me think about the property damage liability insurance I carry. Eight vehicles and if the average amount of damage was $15,000, $50k or 100k of insurance would not be enough!
Tgator1
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

Tgator1
Explorer
Explorer
What if ...driver was pushing brake pedal? Vehicles sometimes do strange things. Easy to say driver error, but may stop a thorough investigation which could save lives.
Tgator1
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
No kidding. Someone there has an ax to grind and just deletes EVERYTHING from some posters.

If this is like every other electronic (touch pad) Allison I have seen, it should NOT go from neutral to drive or reverse unless the brake pedal is being pressed.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like ATC
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
doublev wrote:
xctraveler wrote:
When she attempted to engage D the dash lit up with "shift inhibit" and the shift panel went dark. Instead of shutting down she tried again and the engine revved and the coach jumped forward hitting 8 cars before stopping.

Sorry to say but I think she hit the accelerator and not the brake. Here is why
1. When going into D, she should have held the brake. If she did, no way coach would have jumped forward
2. Engine revved. She didnt hit brake; hit gas by accident. Transmission doesnt give fuel
3. Shift inhibit happens when engine is revved -- wont go into gear. But apparently the second go around she probably lifted the accelerator, hit D, then went to hit the brake and hit the gas by accident.

Simple accident. Sorry it happened... I wouldnt worry about the coach at all

Strange....

I posted 'operator error' yesterday afternoon and My post was deleted.
Now others have same opinion and their postings remain. :H

Strange how the things just disappear here . . . censorship???
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
doublev wrote:
xctraveler wrote:
When she attempted to engage D the dash lit up with "shift inhibit" and the shift panel went dark. Instead of shutting down she tried again and the engine revved and the coach jumped forward hitting 8 cars before stopping.

1. When going into D, she should have held the brake. If she did, no way coach would have jumped forward
2. Engine revved. She didnt hit brake; hit gas by accident. Transmission doesnt give fuel
3. Shift inhibit happens when engine is revved -- wont go into gear. But apparently the second go around she probably lifted the accelerator, hit D, then went to hit the brake and hit the gas by accident.

Strange....

I posted 'operator error' yesterday afternoon and My post was deleted.
Now others have same opinion and their postings remain. :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
X2,What he said :R

+3, BUT let's not be hard on the driver. We all have made such errors and afterwards not even realized what we did and will deny it to our last breath. The good news is he still loves her and no one was hurt.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
X2,What he said :R
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'm just glad no one was injured.

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
Should this be reported to the NSTB? They would be the ones collecting the data to determine if it is a wide spread problem.
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2