cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide dragging on floor

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced carpet in 07 Bounder with vinyl tile. Showing scratches from the slide movement evenly across the new flooring. Is there some way to lift the slide a little to avoid this. I understand there is an aftermarket shim or thin wedge that might be installed somehow, anyone familiar with it or whether it works?
10 REPLIES 10

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar problem in my Endeavor when I installed vinyl flooring the plastic on the edge of the slide would catch on the strip when it got to where the vinyl joined the tile in the kitchen I just put a throw rug that I have in the MH at the edge and it rides up on it, on mine the floor rises as it meets the kitchen but the roller will not raise it up for it to clear. I am afraid to fool with the slide no leak now but maybe if I tried to raise it would be.

Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome job Scott. ๐Ÿ™‚ Like that fix.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I like Scott's fix above a lot...

Our "big slide" is a flush slide, it lifts about 2" as it comes in. The system uses hard plastic blocks of some sort to lift the slide, once it is up, it just drags across the ceramic tile floor.
It has actually left black scuff marks in the ceramic tile, a line at the front of the slide and another at the rear. They will not clean off.

Odd that yours is marking the full length of the slide. I'd hope there would be some sort of fix for that.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I had the same issues. My slide rubbed against my carpet and even though I made adjustments to left it a bit, it still slid against the carpet. At the same time it was wearing the material on the bottom of the slide.
A friend bought a new TT with the same floor plan and slide but his slide system utilized rollers mounted in the floor.
So I installed rollers in the floor (actauly 1200# metal conveyor rollers) that hold my slide up just a bit as it comes in. When the slide is all the way in, it sits on these rollers so I installed a metal plate under the slide for the rollers to rest against.
The slide just barely touches the carpet now and it rolls in and out super easy.

Rollers in floor:

This was a big job but the slide works better than ever and it's a complete fix.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. The scrapes are kind of even across the width of the slide, so I'll install near the end for starters and may have to add another pr in the middle.

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
I have ordered a set of the slickers but I not sure where to place them.

Just put them over the scrape marks you're getting on the floor - probably near the ends of the slide.

If you're getting scrapes at other places, you probably have some dirt or debris trapped under the slide.

I've never personally done it, but on our rig if you remove all of the inside trim strips from the slide, you can slide it out past the wall. Trick is to get something under the slide to keep it from dropping. The last RV mechanic to do that used a 4x4 the length of the slide, resting on the top of the rails.

Then you ought to be able to give the underside a good cleaning,if needed.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
mccsix wrote:
Thanks for quick helpful responses.
I have ordered a set of the slickers but I not sure where to place them. With slide out I don't see an end where they would slide, or maybe I just don't recognize it.
I would consider putting blocks on the slide mechanism but I don't know where or how to lift the slide to get them in.

I used a floor jack and a 2x4 on the slide track and just lifted it enough to take the weight off
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for quick helpful responses.
I have ordered a set of the slickers but I not sure where to place them. With slide out I don't see an end where they would slide, or maybe I just don't recognize it.
I would consider putting blocks on the slide mechanism but I don't know where or how to lift the slide to get them in.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 08 Fiesta and I had to shim the slide I used 1" aluminum flat stock 1/8" thick needed 2 for 1/4".I contacted Power gear the makers of the slide and since there were no adjustments for up and down this is what they said to do. I had to do it to get the slide up against the seal wiper seal because water was getting in.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem when we replaced the carpet. Turns out in some RVs (ours included) the slide depends on having carpet to ride on, and it's almost impossible to adjust the slide to clear it. Depends on how much play there is in the seal at the top of the slide. Generally, if there's enough play to adjust away from the floor, you've probably got a leak up there anyway.

Our answer was slide-out slicker. Although designed for carpeted floors, they work on non-carpet if you cut the carpet spikes off the backside. On our rig, we had to screw them into place to keep them from slipping on the floor when the slide operates. Fortunately, the ends of our slide are in places where the slickers don't intrude too much on our living space.

Good luck.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.