cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide floor separating

landman02
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 40 ft Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 3 slides, and I have a potential problem with one of the slides. I first noticed it before I put it away for winter, but when I got it out this spring, it seems to have become worse. The outside surface on the large slide on the drivers side where the front wall meets the floor has begun to separate. It appears to be metal, and possibly glued together. I'm sure my explanation is clear as mud, but it is what it is. Is anyone familiar with this situation? If so, PLEASE advise as to a remedy. I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

MargueritaM
Explorer
Explorer
I have this floor separation problem too! I have taken things apart - sofa out, carpet pulled up, and the water damage is negligible. I was told by an RV repairman to just clean it out, slap a lot of glue in there and then clamp it. If you can see past the metal bar, there's OSB above the gap and plywood below. That's what I'll be gluing.

He suggested getting a length of 90 degree steel from Lowe's and using that on the front edge.
2000 31' Tioga SL
Anchorage, Alaska
My Personal Website

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Sold the RV after we found our retirement home. The RV was purchased as a tool to allow us to spend the necessary time on the road looking at the areas we had chosen as potential retirement sites.
Land, remember that a lot of people can perform this repair but the question is whether or not you want to pay them for their skill. I spent about 8 hours actual time repairing my slide floor and the bad spot was only about 18 square inches.
Randy

landman02
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures would be nice.

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem on my 05 Panther. DO you have any pictures to go along with your explanation?
Steve

landman02
Explorer
Explorer
Randy thanks for the reply. Too bad we're having this problem with HR's. I'm not sure that I am equipped to do this, I'll have to see. I appreciate the info.
Thanks again,
Mike

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Land,
My 08 HR did the same thing on the outside front corner of the living room slide. Mine was caused by a leak in the front slide window. Reseal all of your windows. To repair the floor is relatively easy but a bit time consuming. Get out a good wood chisel and start cleaning out the separated layers of the plywood. You want to stop when you get to a solid layer. Mine had a laminate on bottom side of the floor to allow it to slide over the nylon lift block on the RV floor. Now you need to find a plastics supplier and see what they have in a nylon or similar sheet material. Buy a piece big enough to cover your area to be repaired. Make a poster board template of the repair area and cut out your nylon/plastic outer layer. Measure the depth of your area to repair and subtract the thickness of your finish layer. Make a filler piece out of a quality piece of plywood. Lay both pieces in the repair area and check the they are level with the original floor. If it is high start sanding the plywood or run it through a planer until the desired level is reached. This is the most important part because THE FLOOR NEEDS TO BE LEVEL. Glue the plywood filler in place and support overnight with a cut to length 2X4 with an appropriate support plate on top. Glue the outer/slider surface on the next morning and let set. Sand off any pressed out glue and away you go. It just takes patience and time.
Randy