cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small ‘C’. Chev or Godzilla

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I’m in the market for a small class c, preferably a Forest River 23-24’ models.
I plan to put in a lot of miles and flat tow a vehicle so power and mpg are important as well as solid reliability.
I’ve had the V10 and was happy.
I would like the new Ford 7.3 but can get better deals on the Chevy 6.0 which I believe is a solid motor and probably better mpg.
I believe both come with. 6 speed trans.
What are your thoughts good and bad?
Thanks
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
19 REPLIES 19

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
I’m looking to stay away from the newer diesels for simplicity and the complexity of the newer emissions.
I like the fact the Chevy 6.0 has been around a long time and seems to be very reliable.
I’ve always heard about the better leg room but since I always drove never really thought about it. However, riding passenger in my Brothers class C I quickly realized the issue. Could not get comfortable on the passenger side.
I also just read a post on the Towing forum about some valve train issues and engine replacements with the new 7.3.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Forest River Forester 2251 SLE on a Chevy450 chassis with the 6.0 gas engine. Wanted to get the Chevy because of better leg room-particularly on passenger side. Also, read a lot of complaints about heat coming up thru floor or engine house-to a point where it was very uncomfortable with the Ford chassis. Really like the fact that my wife can and will drive it. Also, I can sit straight up in the overhead sleeping area. No complaints.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

pushtoy2
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 7.3 gaa in a 2022 27ft. vegas its a monster. i get 10.5 to 11 mpg on flat road no wind pulling a 4k lb carat 60 to 65 mph. no down shifting. on hilly road or head wind it drops to 9 mpg. my v10 with the same car and a 27ft. c class never got that even without the car. iam not a oil burner but if that is what you like thats great
JMO

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read a lot the posts about the Ford based Class C over the last few years. They seem to be the majority of the ones out there.

It seems that the Fords have problems with the front suspension and are plagued with handling problems that are costly to fix and have to be worked on a lot.Also fuel pump problems. I have not seen any posts about these problems on a Chevy Based Class C.

The noise and heat that is generated by the Fords seems to be a factor especially on the passenger side. I drove several of the same type that I bought, all on Ford chassis, and I really noticed the noise and heat and handling differences of the two.

The power and pulling and GVWR seem to be very close from what I have read by authors that have had both, also the fuel mileage seems to be close,maybe a bit better and it has a larger fuel tank.

One thing that the Chevy has over the Fords is the Leg room up front. If you’re tall like me at 6’6’’ 225 then you need that room.

As an added bonus you can install a
Swivel Seat that cannot be added on most Fords, Giving you even more room in the RV.

As a disclaimer, I bought a 2006 Chevy based Tioga Class C 26Q, I test drove about a dozen or more of the same or similar types all on Ford Chassis and just one test drive in a Chevy based one and I was sold.

So far no problems after 12 years on my Former Rental with more than 120000 miles on it, drives straight with no expensive add-ons to the suspension, rides really smooth for what it is, it is quiet and cool up front with plenty of leg room. Plenty of power when needed.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I know you didn't ask but so far we are really happy with our Mercedes based diesel class C. Mileage is good, ride is awesome and plenty of power to tow our CRV.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS