Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small trailer on F350 flatbed

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
Small trailer on F350 flatbed

Would it be legal to bolt down a small scamp type travel trailer to the flatbed of say a ford f350.?
thanks for advice
14 REPLIES 14

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I always thought this was a neat idea...

google image
Or maybe modifying an utility trailer...

The problem with a pickup camper on a flat bed is you still have the very restricted interior.
14' would be a compromise remember main objective of vehicle is being a tow vehicle. space for 2 to sleep dinette shower just for weekend use.

ideally I'd like to slap a 14'TT on the flatbed, then extend out the cabover section combination of prebuilt gets upgraded.

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
yes you are correct there will be a supporting structure around the the lower section of the desired scamp type travel trailer probably 14'long bare minium some 4x4 undernether for a way to add big strap for a possible liftoff to a better truck or whatever it's a option.

yes frame will probably remain just wheels removed and yes again adding tall jacks to a scamp would be kindof fun.and yes these jacks will require reinforcing to lift w/out damage.when I search majority of TT bolted to flatbed where cabovers that where actually designed to be bolted to the truck's flatbed.
there was a comment about redneck engineering at it's finisted to this guy would it be extra RN to be towing a 24' camper cruiser w/ a 15' tow \camper. that's like double the redness not that there's anything wrong w/ redness.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
thebrain wrote:
I like the idea of a completely self sufficient smallish miniamilish RV that can easily tow/launch/retrieve my 24' cruiser it's around 3K LBs and 11.5' tall off the ground.
had conversion vans 2 in the last 4 years I thought well a new express 1500 high top conversion s I always knew they are extremely difficult to find used for sale I've been looking for over 2.5 years for a decent 03+ express conv. and they are thin.
now I find the overland concept and prefer this type vehicle w/ homemade cab over, yes I've sean the big hinge for the front is this bolted to the front of frame then bolted to the hut?
main objective and expectations is as follows but not limited to.
tow and launch
vehicle will be short super cab. I really like the print super duty on the Ford. and I'm a chevy Man.
I never owned or even ridden in a F250 I have driven many express 3500s cargos.
I've heard of the legendary tow capabilities of the F 250 and higher.is this just the desil version there bragging about? or are the gassers just as good?

secondarley the cabover will be built as a aluminum shell structure, planned outer skin will be large aluminum sheets used to make semie truck trailer sides.

vehicle will be used while the hut is furnished w/ futon type sofa in rear similar to a conv. day van.
dinette, small galley counter sink induction hotplate, overhead storage.
the overland cab over is definitely a unnick vehicle.

I like fabbing w/ aluminum I could slap together a strudie shell probablly 1/2 of the allready manufactured that range from 1100LB to over 6K LBs. mine will be less finished on the inside all I'm wanting to not be exposed to outside atmosphere.so I guess timate starting a usable hut at 500LBs.
however slapping a allredy made travel trailer would be the quickest easiest way to have a overland type I assume they have there own sub catagory of being a B class w/ all wheel drive.

I love the concempt of the none permanent camper pure genius a 2 part vehicle.
how do do Guy's protect you're camper that's stored in the backyard? I've read this cab overs are highly sought after by thieves.

If you are going to do a ton of fabrication to redo the cab, may as well build the house unit custom also.

I was thinking you wanted a simple conversion where you took a stock truck and mounted a stock trailer (minus the axles). With the right equipment, that should be a weekend job to have a fully functional rig.

Having it easily demountable would be a challenge as now you need to figure out the structural mechanism to support the house unit will lifting on and off...given that the house from a standard travel trailer is not designed to be lifted like a truck camper. Not saying it can't be done but it would be very easy to trash the house unit if you don't do it right.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
RoyB wrote:

google image

The problem with a pickup camper on a flat bed is you still have the very restricted interior.

The other examples in the link by another poster are basically modified pickup campers again very small living space.

On the other hand with a cabover truck, you could mount a 17-20ft travel trailer body and have a much more spacious living area.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Redneck engineering at its finest.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You might get interesting stares but you wonโ€™t be voted best looking RV on the road. Even RoyBโ€™s first picture is practical but ugly.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

google image

Google images...

Here lately putting a TENT up on top of utility trailer has been catching my eyes..

Google image

Then I end up doing a trail tent haha

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/topic/14199-tandem-axle-conversion/

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A Camper Mounted on a Flatbed is fairly common.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be legal as long as you keep it at 13' 6" tall or less.
I just saw this about 2 weeks ago. It was a cab-over style flatbed truck with about a 20' travel trailer attached to the back. The trailer had the axles and springs removed and was sitting on the frame. Also, the tongue had been cut off to get it closer to the cab and have the door on the curb side. It was a neat little rig.

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of a completely self sufficient smallish miniamilish RV that can easily tow/launch/retrieve my 24' cruiser it's around 3K LBs and 11.5' tall off the ground.
had conversion vans 2 in the last 4 years I thought well a new express 1500 high top conversion s I always knew they are extremely difficult to find used for sale I've been looking for over 2.5 years for a decent 03+ express conv. and they are thin.
now I find the overland concept and prefer this type vehicle w/ homemade cab over, yes I've sean the big hinge for the front is this bolted to the front of frame then bolted to the hut?
main objective and expectations is as follows but not limited to.
tow and launch
vehicle will be short super cab. I really like the print super duty on the Ford. and I'm a chevy Man.
I never owned or even ridden in a F250 I have driven many express 3500s cargos.
I've heard of the legendary tow capabilities of the F 250 and higher.is this just the desil version there bragging about? or are the gassers just as good?

secondarley the cabover will be built as a aluminum shell structure, planned outer skin will be large aluminum sheets used to make semie truck trailer sides.

vehicle will be used while the hut is furnished w/ futon type sofa in rear similar to a conv. day van.
dinette, small galley counter sink induction hotplate, overhead storage.
the overland cab over is definitely a unnick vehicle.

I like fabbing w/ aluminum I could slap together a strudie shell probablly 1/2 of the allready manufactured that range from 1100LB to over 6K LBs. mine will be less finished on the inside all I'm wanting to not be exposed to outside atmosphere.so I guess timate starting a usable hut at 500LBs.
however slapping a allredy made travel trailer would be the quickest easiest way to have a overland type I assume they have there own sub catagory of being a B class w/ all wheel drive.

I love the concempt of the none permanent camper pure genius a 2 part vehicle.
how do do Guy's protect you're camper that's stored in the backyard? I've read this cab overs are highly sought after by thieves.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Already seen this done both on trailers and flat bed trucks, they would carry off road vehicles behind what they fixed to the flat bed
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ironically I thought of this recently after watching youtube video of a $500k offroad motorhome. Crazy expensive and absolutely tiny interior space.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a cab-over box truck (without the box). You might need to figure out how to position the sewer and make sure nothing in the underbelly gets crushed but as long as you are reasonably within weight ratings, should work fine.

One thing you may want to consider is modifying the bed to a 3 point support. The rear is supported at 2 points fixed to the frame. the front is supported by a large single hinge. This avoids a situation where the front and rear axles twisting in opposite directions....twist the housing of the camper...but this would only really be needed if you wanted to do some really rough off roading.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cant see why it wouldn't be legal, assuming you don't exceeded cargo capacity of the truck or some local or state law.