cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SMI Air Force One Brake system?? or other brake systems?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for comments pros and cons on the Air Force One brake system for two vehicle. Any other system you could recommend? Thanks
Brian
19 REPLIES 19

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Ready Brake before I switched to the M@G and will say it is a good braking system without a doubt....the M@G (or any air system) is frankly just superior. The main reason behind my change was the extra length of the tow bar made the fit into our barn more difficult but I am enjoying the superior performance.

As far as switching between toads, I consider that to be an insignificant benefit since I only have one toad. Besides, M@G gives a 50% trade in allowance if I ever decide to change. For those of you that have multiple toads or change every year than yes this is an important consideration.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I think "willald" makes a good point about the ease of use of the Ready Brake/Ready Brute as long as you're using it on a lightweight vehicle. We tow a 6K truck and wouldn't use it in that situation. We intend to buy a smaller toad for longer trips and it would probably be a good choice for something lighter.

I also don't like adding the Ready Brake to an existing setup, I think it gets gangly and extends the toad too far back. I think if you go that route, I would buy the Ready Brute with the system built in, but that brings the cost back up.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
...For a system that can be easily used on two different vehicles, that will be much, much more budget friendly than any of the systems already mentioned, look no further than the Readybrake.

Just can't beat it, IMO - Simple (one time) installation in towed vehicle of nothing more than a cable from brake pedal up to front bumper, only costs $60 more for same cable to install on a second vehicle, so you can tow either vehicle and use the Readybrake system. Simple, no-nonsense, no electronics cable operated system that simply works. Costs SIGNIFICANTLY less than the other systems mentioned, will work on almost any vehicle including hybrids (unlike M&G). And, almost all parts to it that could wear out eventually, could be found at any hardware store for less than $20 (and easily installed by the owner, no need for expensive labor). No need to wait weeks for the company to send you replacement parts like is the case for most any other brake system.

Now, it doesn't give braking quite as smooth and truly proportional as an air operated system like AF1 or M&G that works directly off of the MH's air brake system. If you have a MH equipped with full air brakes, M&G or AF1 is probably the best option (although much more expensive than something like Readybrake). However, if you have a gas coach or one that doesnt have full air brakes, then the Readybrake makes a lot more sense, IMO.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Wimsey
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a hybrid vehicle and got tired of the set-up on our Patriot system. We had an AF1 installed this past summer and absolutely love it! It works flawlessly with our hybrid vehicle and is easy to set-up when we are ready to go. And, as has been mentioned, it can be moved to a new vehicle. I wish we had made this change earlier.
Talboys -- aka 2005 40' Newmar Dutch Star 4011
Traveling home for Wimsey Bulldogs
Spartan Chassis
Blue Ox Tow Bar
2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Towed

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have the SMI Stay & Play. Now have 46,000 miles om it and I would buy another SMI system. The MG system wouldn't fit in the engine compartment of my 2000 Nissan XTerra.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hereis a previous post on this subject. This is my DIY one that uses a 1.5" air cylinder.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hybrid, and I don't believe the M&G system is available for hybrid vehicles.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the M&G system installed last Wednesday on a 2014 Honda CRV and it took them all of 2 hours to install including breakaway system. This is the second car I have used that system on. Works great.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
MaverickBBD wrote:
Went from an SMI Stay-n-Play to an AF 1. What a difference, I am kicking myself for not doing that in the first place. The proportional braking is unbelievable.

The Stay-n-Play is proportional braking also.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the SMI AirForce One for 2 years and over 20 thousand miles of towing. It has worked flawless and is out of sight and out of mind. Very easy to get ready to tow. Just connect one hose and the safety breakaway cable and your good to go.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Went from an SMI Stay-n-Play to an AF 1. What a difference, I am kicking myself for not doing that in the first place. The proportional braking is unbelievable.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

BUTCHPHI
Explorer
Explorer
Had US Gear from 2002 until 2015 on a Jeep Liberty (towed over 120,000 miles) with no problems. Loved it!! Bought a 2012 Jeep liberty in 2015 and could not find a new US Gear setup. I investigated many other brake systems but ended up going with the new version of the US gear system made by the inventor of original US Gear system. It is called SmartBrake and is relatively simple to install (and would be easy to move to another vehicle. It uses a standard brake controller which gives you full control of the towed vehicle. The unit is contained in one box which I installed in the engine compartment (drivers side). Made for a very clean setup. I have only towed about 3000 miles so far but I am very happy with the system.

Mikeborny
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed the AF-1 in my jeep wrangler. Connecting the Jeep take two minutes, same as disconncting. Braking works great. Exiting from the highway to a rest stop on the way to Florida, went from going 65 to a 15 mile an hour turn to get in. First time I ever had to stop that quick. Did not even notice a difference with the toad!
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390bh-40
hauling 2 Berners,3 kids

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Brian.....I don't think you can go wrong with either AF1 or M&G. I would have bought the M&G unit, but their wasn't room for the unit on the first vehicle I installed a brake system on. I've moved the AF1 unit to three different trucks over the years. With M&G, I believe you can exchange the toad portion of the unit (at a cost) when you change vehicles, if it will fit. Again, both good systems, but the AF1 might be a little more interchangeable if you change vehicles in the future. If your future vehicle doesn't have room for the M&G unit, you would have to start all over.

SMI has recently improved the Air Force One unit by making the toad controller smaller and incorporating the brake away tank into the controller. They also improved the unit that mounts to the MH. In the past, it was just a line tapped into a brake can. The DOT had issues with this and so did Freightliner. The new unit uses more safety features if an air line should break.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab