cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoCal beach recommendation

DesertDwellers
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking of driving from PHX to southern California for 3 days at Christmas. We've been to Chula Vista RV; we really enjoyed it and they have space available. Are there any other parks on the water that you would recommend? We have a class A, no toad, need full hook ups (that's my requirement LOL). Thanks in advance!
45 REPLIES 45

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Quote: " just retired from Southwest Airlines, I LOVE airplanes 🙂 thanks for the info"

If so inclined, within walking distance at Dockweiler, you can take hang glider lessons.

Norm
F1BNorm

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Mission Bay RV Resort (private) in San Diego is adjacent to the water and Mission Bay Park but not directly on the water. 2 week limit. Full hookups, a little pricey, (Good Sam discount) walk into Pacific Beach for shopping. Bicycles are a good idea.

Any of the State Parks i.e. San Elijo, Carlsbad, Doheny Beach are nice and on the beach. Reservations suggested.

See google maps for park layouts.

Just a general suggestion for the SoCal area. Do not plan on parking your RV on any public street overnight in beach areas, especially if you sleep in it. San Diego used to have a city ordinance prohibiting sleeping in ANY vehicle at any time. That may have changed recently due to public outcry. If you must, you can park overnight at some Amtrak/trolley stations, if appropriately sized spaces are available or at some Park and Ride lots but don't make a habit out if it.

Chum lee

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Huntington by the Sea RV park is okay. It is just a giant paved lot, but it has full hookups and is right on the PCH across the street from the beach. And although it's a little of a hike, you can walk down to downtown Huntington Beach and the Pier. Per Google is 1.5 miles to the Pier. Huntington Beach State park is there too, but the RV portion is further down the beach and a longer walk to anything, other than the ocean. Could be a problem without a toad, unless you like to walk.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DesertDwellers
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Some depend on your size. San Clemente State Beach is right next to the trestles if you want to try surfing. Doheny SBP is just up the road and right on the beach but is size limited. Crystal Cove is beautiful but most likely booked already, $85-$115/night. Newport Dunes IMO is overrated especially at $200/night. Further north is the State Beach in Huntington Beach, right on the sand. Reservations a must! It's called Bolsa Chica after the wetlands....BOL ..

BTW...please put your rig info in your profile. It helps everyone and you'll get better responses....Dennis

Your request has been duly noted.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some depend on your size. San Clemente State Beach is right next to the trestles if you want to try surfing. Doheny SBP is just up the road and right on the beach but is size limited. Crystal Cove is beautiful but most likely booked already, $85-$115/night. Newport Dunes IMO is overrated especially at $200/night. Further north is the State Beach in Huntington Beach, right on the sand. Reservations a must! It's called Bolsa Chica after the wetlands....BOL ..

BTW...please put your rig info in your profile. It helps everyone and you'll get better responses....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DesertDwellers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions and tips!! Love this forum 🙂

DesertDwellers
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Try Silver Strand, I believe it s state park just a hop, skip and jump from the Del Coronado Hotel. Reservations are needed. May be crowded and it is within an easy walk of the Bay. I also suggest a car or towed of some sort.

LOVE Hotel Del! Thanks for the info!

fmo
Explorer
Explorer
Newport Dunes is another place you may want to check out

DesertDwellers
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Try Silver Strand, I believe it s state park just a hop, skip and jump from the Del Coronado Hotel. Reservations are needed. May be crowded and it is within an easy walk of the Bay. I also suggest a car or towed of some sort.

Thanks! Added to my notes! 🙂

DesertDwellers
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Dockweiler is certainly convenient and secure but at xmas may be very busy so get your reservation in. I stay there because close to my kids when we visit. I like Malibu Beach. Great view.

Thanks! I'll look into it!

DesertDwellers
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
DesertDwellers wrote:
We're thinking of driving from PHX to southern California for 3 days at Christmas. We've been to Chula Vista RV; we really enjoyed it and they have space available. Are there any other parks on the water that you would recommend? We have a class A, no toad, need full hook ups (that's my requirement LOL). Thanks in advance!

Southern CA has a lot of shoreline, but there's one in particular that we liked in LA and right below the airport if you like airplanes. Didn't bother us and we liked it for the wide beach and view out our windshield and the wide bike path that went for miles in both directions. It's all blacktop with just some palms here and there, but a great location for visiting the sights around LA and Marina Del Rey is not far..... click it
To the south in downtown Long Beach is Golden Shores tucked in the Harbor and on the LA river. Great little place with bike paths everywhere along the shoreline and home of the Queen Mary and the Catalina Express.... click it

I just retired from Southwest Airlines, I LOVE airplanes 🙂 thanks for the info!

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
San Elijo / or campland on the bay - Ventura county SB don't offer beach camping with full hook ups. Faria and Hobson county parks offer full hook ups.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing. I would rent a car. Everything requires a drive unless you pack in your groceries and just stay in the park and enjoy the beach.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Dockweiler is certainly convenient and secure but at xmas may be very busy so get your reservation in. I stay there because close to my kids when we visit. I like Malibu Beach. Great view.