cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some folks just don't care...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had an interesting experience recently at the CG. I noticed our new neighbor had a beautiful, brand new Leisure Travel Libero B+. I wandered over and we started chatting out our rigs. Not being familiar with his coach I asked what engine/drive train it had. He thought about for a moment and then said: I don't know."

He walked around to the front and pointed at the Chevrolet emblem on the hood, "Some kind of Chevy I guess, I just put gas in it." I was more than a tad surprised, I mean this guy just dropped around $125,000+ on this gorgeous coach and he had no clue what was under the hood. Now I am not a motor head per se but am still having a hard time wrapping my head around not knowing or obviously caring. :h It obviously works for him and I have no problem with that, like a said a gorgeous coach, I am guessing it was the 6L. I didn't bother asking about the mileage. :B
49 REPLIES 49

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
The US economy depends on a flavor of people from those who do their own repairs, to others who hire repairmen. I'm in the first group of doing my own repairs out of financial neccessity. Yes it can be a painful learning process, but worth it for me. I always feel better when I do the math for my tax free hourly wage in getting the job done. I save big money and learn much from the repair. But that is how I am wired. We're all different, both types are fine as long as the bills get paid.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't say as I miss breaker point ignition systems and carburettors mixed with "30 below" (-30F in US money) at all.

EdnGay
Explorer
Explorer
After crawling under my car, in the driveway, with three inches of snow, to replace the exhaust system, I said once had enough money, NEVER AGAIN!
Same thing with computers, built my own for years, just not worth it anymore.

Ed & Gay
Phoebe & Phanta (Min-Schnauzers)
2014 Forester 3051s, Fiat 500

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
In today's economy with most things being very cheap (i.e. widescreen TVs,basic laptops,etc.) you can't make a case for repairing them.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I read a Readers Digest story one time..."Better to have a Man Handy, than a Handy Man". I fall into that category. I learned a long long time ago to NOT dick around with stuff. I have little or no mechanical aptitude. It cost me a lot of money and an injured ego....and now I have come to that place where I carry tools and stuff...for the person that is going to fix it.

I am good at a few things tho and I take a great deal of pride in that. And one of them is I know how to get things done. I don't have a need to do it myself..but I sure know how to reach out and get it done. As far as knowing how something works? I kid you not..I am sure that there are people inside my TV and I cannot figure how a phone works..but..they seem to perform and that is ok with me.

I have a 99 Ford E350 with a V10...apparently it has 10 somethings. I don't change the oil, or do any other stuff. Yep..I pay and pay..but I am also not having another person repair what I busted in my attempt to be Mr Fix'r.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I felt smug once when I showed a medical doctor how to install a mantle on his Coleman lantern at a Girl Scout camp out. I got over it. I can tell you a lot about electric and IC powered RC model airplanes and 1940's Indian motorcycles, and a few drive train things that I remember about our simple old 72 Dodge van camper conversion. I built my first simple RC system with tubes, etc., from a mail-order kit of parts, "overhauled" a 48 Harley engine with a crescent wrench and boyish enthusiasm. At 75, I am glad to find competant service guys and pay the for their time, skills and physical ability.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
For instance: I built our first color television so the rest of my life I'd know what was going on inside them.

Was that by chance a Heathkit GR370?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can understand folks not caring to repeatedly build or repair things around them that directly support their lifestyle, as they may have other on-going material or non-material interests in their lives. What I don't understand is folks not wanting at the very least a head knowledge of the complex world around them that is affecting every aspect of their daily lives - including exactly what kind of, and what's "inside", an RV they spent all the money on. The human mind is a wonderful thing ... it will not be damaged by exercising it's curiosity section every once in awhile.

For instance: I built our first color television so the rest of my life I'd know what was going on inside them. The DW and myself built the house we're living in so we would know how houses are made - including all electrical, heating, air conditioning, plumbing, and the well and it's storage tank system. Myself and a friend rebuilt a V8 engine once using only an instruction manual so we would know what is inside a V8 engine. I replaced the drum brakes on an old Ford pickup once to know how they work. My dad and myself built a TT RV once so now I know partially what things to consider in a TT's structure. I fixed my laptop's broken LCD screen several months ago so I'd know what was in there. I replaced the tumblers in a lock this fall so I would know what's inside a lock.

All the above kind of projects I have no desire to do ever again ... too much work for my lazy streak -> but at least after all that I know a little bit about what's around us in this world. It seems like everyone should want this to some extent so they're not living in a fog. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
My bet is Eric Clapton doesn't have a clue what engine is in any of his tour busses, but he sure could tell you a few things about guitars.
Different strokes.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed things changing about 10 years before retiring in 98. I was a computer guru for an insurance company. When one of the mainframes crashed, we had to "dump" the memory, print out a stack of paper about two feet high and find the error in order to fix it. It took hours.
The year I retired, a mainframe failed and as a few of us prepared to test, a customer engineer from IBM walked in the door with a part in his hand. He didn't even know what it was. IBM's "big mama" computer in Armonk, NY. had automatically analyzed the problem and ordered the guy to deliver the part to us. We replaced it and walked over to the monitor to restart the computer, but it had already started. I realized then, that I was just peeling the bananas for the monkey.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
I found this thread very interesting. I spent 45 years repairing electronics. Just about, everyone I dealt with knew nothing about the field or what was wrong with their equipment, I did not expect them too. However, they knew many things I did not, and I met many interesting people and learned from them.

At home, I repaired and built everything, including a complete remodel of my house. I rebuilt several engines and have owned two motorhomes and five trailers. In 1998, I was able to buy my first new truck, and I quit looking under the hood or changing my oil. My motorhomes were both used and I enjoyed working on them.

I have met many like me, and just as many, as it has been said here, the working end of a screwdriver is a mystery, and life for them is just as good as it was for me. I say was, because of age and health issues. I now have it all done by others and it frustrates me to no end. I know there are many in the same boat. So it is plenty okay with me if others don’t know what’s under the hood, because I know in some other area they are much more qualified than I.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

BillJ999
Explorer
Explorer
I can understand the OP's surprise. When you're interested in something, it's sometimes hard to imagine that others aren't.
This is especially surprising for options that can affect your enjoyment of the product. I'm sure the guy would have regretted his choice if he had found out after the fact that his MH had a very underpowered engine and that is was no fun to drive. To me, that is like buying a house and not asking how many bedrooms it has. I guess if you have enough money, those mistakes don't matter. Just sell it and buy another one! I for one can't afford that luxury.
I strongly believe that if people were just a bit more interested in the big ticket items they're buying, that the quality and unsefulness of products would increase over time. Manufacturers have it too easy ... just put the product in a nice colorful box and it will sell. Too many people just don't care.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
LOL.. a guy just asked me what rear end ratio my truck is. I don't know!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
AprilWhine wrote:
a fellow camper asked me what size engine I had. Told him 12.7 liters.. so I told him 475 HP and he was happy.
That's a hoot. These 'new' measurements have been around for many years. And my goodness, that's a big engine.

12.7 liters developing 475 HP. Torque is 1450 ft/lbs. That's why I can have cast iron cookware if I want it. ;)I have over 15,000 of CC left unused. :C
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one