Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source Manager II (25) problems

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some suggestions on how to deal with my Source Manager inverter/charger in the coach. We have a 2000 American Coach Heritage with the 2500 watt model and from the troubleshooting I have done on it I am pretty sure the transfer switch has gone out on it....also not sure that is the only problem.

I realize the unit is 20 years old and from talking to a few other American Coach owners I am being told rather than try to repair it I would be better off just replacing it.

I must confess we really don't need much of an inverter at the present, we generally stay in place most of the time connected to shore power.

We don't currently have any solar but think we would like to consider it in the future now that we are in Arizona.

My skill/knowledge level of the AC/DC inverting/charging systems is minimal but trying to learn and understand what best to do. Looking for suggestions and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Phil
2000 American Coach 45' Heritage
8 REPLIES 8

Bruce_Brown
PM member Larry Cad. He has the same vintage American Coach and is an electrical guru.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
meleavingsoon wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
When I installed solar on mine I also installed a Magnum Inverter/charger. The charger is a great upgrade over the factory one. My recommendation is to do a package insulation at the same time and get a quality system.

Hi Charlie.... which Magnum unit did you choose? Did it replace the Source Manager in an American Coach coach?

I own a Newmar not American Coach. My coach has 50 AMP service with the auto transfer switch and an EMS built into the electric panel. The Inverter works with all existing equipment except A/C and washer/dryer. Just add a sub panel. I have the Magnum 2012 which I owned before purchasing the coach....otherwise I would have purchased the 50 AMP Inverter. I have 460 AMP battery group and 260 watt solar. I also operate power tools (saws, drill, grinders, etc.) with the service. We live a lot off the grid.

Here is a discussion on IRV2 about a Magnum 2012 and SOURCE MANAGER:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/heart-source-manager-20-replacement-470989.html

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
meleavingsoon wrote:
I would like to think ahead with the goal of being off shore power alot of the time.
Think solar! As much as you have room for.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

I'd suggest that any new inverter be a "hybrid" load support model. I own a Magnum, but if I were doing it again I'd go with Victron or Outback.

When dealing with solar and electric it may be best to stay within one "family" as then you know for sure that the items will play well together.

The link below may help with your decision on what to purchase.

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

If you plan on cold weather camping I'd suggest batteries based on SiO2 chemistry as they can be used right down to -40.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Give it some thought, but being hooked up all the time you really don't need much battery or inverter.

Now, if you want to change your camping style to no hookups that's different. I guess that's enough said for now.

Hello 2oldman....Yes I would like to think ahead with the goal of being off shore power alot of the time. Plus whatever I do I want to consider the next possible owner who would most likely appreciate the ability to dry camp.

Thanks,
Phil

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
When I installed solar on mine I also installed a Magnum Inverter/charger. The charger is a great upgrade over the factory one. My recommendation is to do a package insulation at the same time and get a quality system.

Hi Charlie.... which Magnum unit did you choose? Did it replace the Source Manager in an American Coach coach?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Give it some thought, but being hooked up all the time you really don't need much battery or inverter.

Now, if you want to change your camping style to no hookups that's different. I guess that's enough said for now.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer