cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spending a night (or two) in a motel parking lot?

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be traveling (in our B) to an event at the end of this month -- and my brother and his wife will be with us. They have reservations for two nights at an Econo Lodge, where we originally planned to book a room also.

Now hubby's on furlough and we're trying to curb expenses -- which has me wondering about sleeping in the B instead of booking a room. After all, it's already there, right? We'd have everything we need and it would save us a tidy sum.

My brother and SIL would still sleep in the motel -- and since we're riding together, if needed, our license plate could go on the parking permit. It's in a decent part of town, so I'm not overly concerned about safety.

Has anyone slept in their RV in a hotel/motel parking lot before? Anyone do it frequently? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. THANKS!

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

25 REPLIES 25

AJRV
Explorer
Explorer
Some Best Western Hotels have RV sites. Some have listing in a magazine that they have RV sites. We found one in OK. I think they had about 15 sites behind the hotel. This is a bit different than just parking overnight, but a nice touch.
AJRV

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
Most places I have asked have said "SURE NO PROBLEM". But in Galveston, the San Luis hotel said "NO". In fact, they wouldn't let me stay in my Roadtrek even though we had rented a condo room for the weekend. Galveston has a "No sleeping in a vehicle law" and somehow our B-vans are included.

Kimbopolo
Explorer
Explorer
I've done this several times in stealth mode and it works very well. No one is liable to give you a second look because out-of-state license plates are expected.

I'm always careful to park away from the area where guests would be loading and unloading so as not to take up premium space. And I wouldn't consider staying more than one night without permission.
2010 Roadtrek 190 Popular
http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com

ROADTREKKER2000
Explorer
Explorer
Your brother is entitled to a parking permit as part of his reservation. Just display the parking permit in the windshield, close the curtains, don't make too much noise and you will not have any problem.
Papa :C, Lois 🙂 Griz 😛

2000 Roadtrek 200 Popular

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Don't run your generator even if you have permission to park. The paying customers deserve a good night's sleep.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

truepath
Explorer
Explorer
I have done this a few times and always asked for permission. My experience is similar to other comments here. The only additional comment is that some places that allow it have a rule that you cannot put down any kind of leveling system (even planks), and obviously, no slide outs, tables, grills, etc.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsolo wrote:
...Gene in NE? Did you then not rent any room, just asked to stay O/N plugged in for $?
We did not rent a room. The parking lot was only about 1/2 full and it was around 9:00 pm. If the lot was full or earlier in the evening, we might have gotten a different answer.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

qhor
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at a motel for dinner one evening after a long days drive, and while paying our check, asked if it was ok to park and sleep in the Van on the motel lot.

They thanked us for patronizing their restaurant and welcomed us to sleep in our van on their lot.

Good business's deserve our patronage and usually respond in a good way.

Barry

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we have in our Class A. We spoke to the front desk and explained that family was booking 2 rooms and we preferred to stay in our RV. They said no problem. They advised the security guard that we were there. Just call them and ask.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

drsolo
Explorer
Explorer
I think we may be talking about different situations. My RVan only sleeps one. DH brings a tent. But I been wondering about taking a friend along who is NOT a camper. So I too have been wondering about "rent one, plug one" where my friend would rent a room and I could just plug in. Of course I would add that I have dogs and dont want to take them into the room.

Gene in NE? Did you then not rent any room, just asked to stay O/N plugged in for $?
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There are hotels/motels that might have facilities available. If they are having a slow night, someone paying for a room just for a place to stay is a plus in their book.

I'd ask permission. Some places may actually be "B" friendly.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
why not have them get a room with two queen beds and sleep in the room with them if you are worried about sleeping in a motel parking lot, or go find a wally world and pick them up in the morning.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have stayed in motel parking lots in our Class C. Most business owners welcome someone spending the night in their parking lot as an extra set of eyes for security.

We even asked one motel if we could plug in, they answered that a plug was available at the base of their sign for just that purpose for a $5/night fee. Apparently the plug was installed for use by a refrigerated ice cream truck.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
mark1228 wrote:
I have done it. I asked at the front desk if it would be a problem and if so could they direct me to a Walmart. They had no problem with it and even offered me elecricity at no charge

Exactly.

Don't know why some have to be sneaky about things.

Just ask.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31