cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stability Issues

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering the purchase of a Class A. But I keep seeing posts about stability issues. How common are such problems? Are they more common on certain brands/models/ lengths? Have you had a problem? With what brand/model/length? What did you do to correct it? Did that solve the problem?
12 REPLIES 12

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Also be aware that the driver seat position of an A is higher up than a passenger car. This magnifies the driver's view of left/right "sway" and fools the driver into thinking the RV is swaying back and forth more. It is a feeling you get used to quickly. The passenger also gets this feeling, perhaps even more than the driver, but again, it is something which you get used to.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you mean stability when driving or when camping?

Driving: Most motor homes have leaf springs all the way around these allow the body to shift not only up and down (As you would expect) but side to side a bit as well. The addition of Track Bars (I added one on the front, I'm told rear is more effective, two are best) stop this "Shifting"

Good shocks handle side to side Rocking

And a good sterring stablizer. I went with Blue Ox due to the "Remote adjustment" button in the cockpit (next to the driver)

But Saft-T-Steer now has that as, last I knew, an option so it too would be worthy of consideration.

How much difference do these modifications make?

Before Mod I towed my car from Detroit to Las Vegas
It was a relief to park the house and drive the car

Then I added the front trac bar and stablizer

And again towed the SAME car to las Vegas
And it was amazing how much harder that car was to drive

(I'd gotten used to driving the stabilized motor home)

I can explain why but that is a longer post.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Our current 38ft gasser and previous 36 ft gasser, both drive and ride well. Very stable, no wandering, no handling issues.
I suspect a lot of handling issues are caused by improper tire inflation. Many folks seem to think that their tires should be filled to the maximum PSI or are unaware of the manufacturers recommendations on the placard.
2010 Suncruiser

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Since you previously said when askedโ€ฆ โ€œHow long and how much to spend?Shorter is better -- say 25 ft. Budget: maybe $30Kโ€, so, YES itโ€™s going to have handling problems.

Sure helps when you know the whole story! Hmmmmm
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll find typically a DP, the longer the better, will offer the most stability. Front engine gassers, just by nature of the beast, tend to be less stable, based on personal experience.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you previously said when askedโ€ฆ โ€œHow long and how much to spend?Shorter is better -- say 25 ft. Budget: maybe $30Kโ€, so, YES itโ€™s going to have handling problems.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I've had 7 different Class A's. As a general rule longer and heavier is going to be more stable. Gas models...35ft and over have been very stable...Diesel models 38ft and over have been very stable.

I've owned 32ft gas model that was a bear with side winds and truck traffic passing in the wind. Had a 35ft diesel that was bad. Drove a 40ft Bluebird Wanderlodge for awhile. It was heavy and had a tag axle. It was a dream to drive.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Stable as a rock.
yep X2
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I had 3 Class A's, gassers. All 31' or close. 2 I put Steer Safe Stablilzers on, the other I didn't need them.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few that that have had issues. Maybe some people expect there class A to handle like a car or SUV and maybe there are some lagit issues with coach handling but I have owned a Newmar 34' FRED, a Fleetwoof 37' gasser, a HR 39' diesel and my current coach 43' Winnie. None of them had handling issues and I never needed to do any suspension work on any one of them.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stable as a rock.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob