cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Started our Class A search and met with Spartan Motors

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We recently began focusing our search for our next RV on Class A motorhomes and quickly realized there's a whole lot more to consider than gas vs diesel. While we've always enjoyed drooling over motorhomes at RV shows we never really got into the weeds until we really started shopping. It was then that we really started looking at the structure that keeps it all together...the chassis.

We see each RV manufacturer tout the chassis used in each model as if it's part of the winning equation, but we what's really important to us?

* Do we need the million mile capability of a diesel pusher chassis? Probably not.
* Is the extra cost worth the better fuel mileage? I doubt it.
* Is the extra power from the diesel pusher worth the extra cost? I think so.
* How about ride quality, reliability and safety? Yes, I think.
* Freightliner, Spartan, Ford, Cummins, Detroit, V10? Jeez, we're not sure.

We had a lot of these questions and the more we searched the more questions we came up with. We're leaning towards a diesel pusher for many reasons, but there's still the question of chassis. A motorhome is a huge investment and don't want to base our decision based solely on floor plan and color cabinets without understanding what makes it all tick.

So when we had the opportunity to speak with the folks over at Spartan Motors we jumped at it and I'm glad we did. They were super knowledgeable and it's not everyday to have the chance to see these details up close and personal. They have us the grand tour, answered questions (lots of them) and even got some tips on what to look for in a used motorhome if we decide to go that route.

Checkout the below video to see some of what Spartan Motors had to show us.

https://youtu.be/Rl3P4F788n4
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
9 REPLIES 9

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I had DP and I've had gas coaches. Our needs change and so when we want a different coach, we go with what suits our needs at the time. Currently we have a gasser and we got rid of the diesel. Not because the diesel didn't serve our purposes at the time, but because we were ready to change.
One thing we have found out is ALL of our coaches have made it to the top of the mountain. All of our coaches were the right choice for that period of time.
We also found out was that the diesel was quieter but a little insulation under the dog house of a gasser lowers the noise level enough so that conversation is fine.
Years of experience going back to 1970 has also shown us that we spend more time parked in our coach than we do driving it, even tho we average 12,000+ miles per year. Comfort when parked is still the most important for us and always will be.

Great insight, thanks for sharing! Hearing other peoples experiences is very helpful at the start of our own journey.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had DP and I've had gas coaches. Our needs change and so when we want a different coach, we go with what suits our needs at the time. Currently we have a gasser and we got rid of the diesel. Not because the diesel didn't serve our purposes at the time, but because we were ready to change.
One thing we have found out is ALL of our coaches have made it to the top of the mountain. All of our coaches were the right choice for that period of time.
We also found out was that the diesel was quieter but a little insulation under the dog house of a gasser lowers the noise level enough so that conversation is fine.
Years of experience going back to 1970 has also shown us that we spend more time parked in our coach than we do driving it, even tho we average 12,000+ miles per year. Comfort when parked is still the most important for us and always will be.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:
Congrats on your search! IMHO your going about it the right way! I made a similar search as you and went to gasser because, I didn't RV enough in one year to justify the cost of a DP! Good Luck to you whatever you decide to buy.

Thank you! We're planning to take our time and look at all our options. At this point our trips are anywhere from weekends to 2 weeks at a time, but we're looking to drastically increase the length of our trips. We're not in any hurry and want to make sure we find the best fit for our family.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
msturtz wrote:
We have owned both a Gas MH (Ford V10) and very low end DP (Freightliner). Both units were similar in size and features. The lack of noise & heat from the engine is a major benefit, add to that the stability and comfortable ride provided by the air suspension. There is no comparison. The stability and comfort provided by the DP is no comparison to a gas model no matter how nice.

If we go diesel I'm leaning towards going used and remodeling the interior. I think the jump in quality from the gas to DP chassis is worth it in the end.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
rr2254545 wrote:
You missed tow major advantages of a diesel pusher

1. Much more quiet - I can actually talk to the wife now
2. Much more storage space to take "stuff" - we spend 5-6 months a year in the MH during the winter

The quiet thing came up for sure. We have spoken to several full-timers and that always seems to be at the top of their list with a gasser. You're always above the noise...engine while driving & generator while sleeping.

Storage wouldn't be a huge deal breaker for us now, but within a few years we're hoping to hit the road for months at a time and potentially go full-time, so we should bump that up our priority list.

In the end, I don't recall anyone saying they regret going with diesel over gas, but the initial cost hurts a bit.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your search! IMHO your going about it the right way! I made a similar search as you and went to gasser because, I didn't RV enough in one year to justify the cost of a DP! Good Luck to you whatever you decide to buy.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A gas pusher would fit the bill.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned both a Gas MH (Ford V10) and very low end DP (Freightliner). Both units were similar in size and features. The lack of noise & heat from the engine is a major benefit, add to that the stability and comfortable ride provided by the air suspension. There is no comparison. The stability and comfort provided by the DP is no comparison to a gas model no matter how nice.
FMCA member

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
You missed two major advantages of a diesel pusher

1. Much more quiet - I can actually talk to the wife now
2. Much more storage space to take "stuff" - we spend 5-6 months a year in the MH during the winter
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks