cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stay-a-While cracked

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
Smelled gas and ran my finger around the joints, assuming that's where the leak was. Turned the valve off and then saw the spray come out from a crack adjacent to the 1/4" supplemental connection on the body of the stay-a-while. Probably from 9 years of bouncing around but assumed it would last much longer.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks
6 REPLIES 6

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
That support is an idea. The leak was definitely on the casted body portion, not any of the machined areas.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I cut a piece from a 1X4 that was a slight press fit under the Stay a While T. I used some silicon adhesive underneath make sure it didn't vibrate out. Lasted about 11 years with no problem.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
A number of years ago the manufacturing of these items, along with many other similar components, moved to Mexico and in some cases the Pacific Rim countries. The quality of the brass castings went down badly. Cracking in the cast parts is not unusual since then, along with the quality of the machining of threads, etc. opening the door for leaks.

Since the fittings mentioned by the OP is installed on the high pressure side of the supply system it is exposed to pressures of 250 psi +/- and will leak much easier than the items on the low pressure side where pressures of about 6 ounces per square inch are normal.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
mmccray100 wrote:
What is a "stay-a-while"??

These go by a number of names, another popular one is extend-a-stay

It is a brass combo valve assembly that goes between the propane tank and the RV's propane regulator. They allow you to use an external portable propane tank to supply propane to your RV, they can also be used to operate a BBQ grill from the RV's propane tank / tanks.

This is the one I installed after a valve on the old one on my motorhome developed a slow leak

https://mbsturgis.com/rv-propane-hoses-sturgi-stays-quick-disconnects-regulators/sturgi-stay-quick-d...

The quick disconnects do make hook up much easier

I think I bought mine from Amazon

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I would have assumed it would last forever being brass. Maybe fashion some sort of bracket to keep it from vibrating while you tavel
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
What is a "stay-a-while"??