Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen Catalytic Converter

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Voyage 35L Workhorse W22.
Well it happened. Thieves cut off one of the two catalytic converters on our RV. Don’t know why they only took one. Reported and have insurance etc. Normally I would contact insurance and get it repaired. BUT… an OEM Cat will be 1-3 months wait. Here are my concerns.
1. If I go the OEM route, can I install a temporary straight exhaust pipe so I can use the rig and
run the motor without rousing the neighborhood? My concern is, will this cause the computer to code, give a light, and or reduce power. Even if that is not an issue, could having a Cat on one side and not the other damage the engine?
2. I can get an aftermarket Cat sooner. Not worried at this point about warranty on a 2007. I know these are not the quality of OEM, but are they Ok? Again, don’t want to throw codes or damage the engine.
Thanks in advance for the knowledge shared!
25 REPLIES 25

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Putting a vin number or any other type of ID on a converter is a waste of time as previously stated. If they have the ability to remove the converter they have the ability to remove any such markings.

Until we as a society are willing to convict and put thieves in jail for lengthy periods of time for stealing catalytic converters, jewelry, high end clothing, and appliances it will not stop in the near future.

There should be stiff penalties for anyone who accepts a stolen converter. But one problem we have is our open border when they can transport the converters to Mexico.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
That would make an electric fence module or welding / engraving pretty useless.

But assuming they're not wearing gloves, they'll most likely grab onto the exhaust pipe to help stabilize the tool and/or their cutting position. Giving them a good jolt when they did so would provide a bit of a "feel good" aspect for me. 🙂 YMMV.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rick Jay wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Putting the VIN on a catalytic converter seems like a waste of time. If I was worried about someone stealing mine I would use a welder to just write "STOLEN" on the Cat. If they see this, they may think twice, assuming that they can read.

Agreed. I also heard about some people welding a cage around the cats using rebar to make it more difficult to remove.

But NOW I'm thinking....if they made some sort of electrical insulator between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipes, perhaps the entire length of the exhaust could somehow be "slightly" electrified, electric fence style, to discourage anyone from grabbing onto them. Although, with those dang 02 sensors, they'd probably have an issue with that.

But it would be a bit rewarding to know anyone who attempted a theft would receive at least a little jolt in repayment! 🙂

~Rick

I’m willing to bet the vast majority of thieves stealing cat’s is doing so using a cordless grinder with a cutting disc on it.

That would make an electric fence module or welding / engraving pretty useless.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Putting the VIN on a catalytic converter seems like a waste of time. If I was worried about someone stealing mine I would use a welder to just write "STOLEN" on the Cat. If they see this, they may think twice, assuming that they can read.

Agreed. I also heard about some people welding a cage around the cats using rebar to make it more difficult to remove.

But NOW I'm thinking....if they made some sort of electrical insulator between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipes, perhaps the entire length of the exhaust could somehow be "slightly" electrified, electric fence style, to discourage anyone from grabbing onto them. Although, with those dang 02 sensors, they'd probably have an issue with that.

But it would be a bit rewarding to know anyone who attempted a theft would receive at least a little jolt in repayment! 🙂

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
We live just outside Leesburg, FL. Our community has an RV storage area. We literally can see our RV from our back porch. The compound is fenced and gate locked each night. The compound has lights like street lights. Not real bright, but reasonable. No camera etc. facing the compound. Thieves climbed over fence in back and hit four motorhomes. Seems to be the latest crime wave. Deputy said even when cameras are present, most often you get a bad image. Going to paint the new one bright yellow with high temp paint. Makes them harder to sell or a lot of work to clean. LOL!

2002_HR_Endeavo
Explorer
Explorer
No ability to add anything, but have a question: Where did this take place ? Were you in it at the time or was it parked and if so where (Park/Campground/Storage etc) was it ?
Thank you and sorry to learn of this for you.

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
BigDaddy1951 wrote:
Everyone take a chill. I don’t want to violate any laws, pollute the environment, or damage my rig. I have insurance, and any repair will cost the deductible. My only concern was straight pipe temporarily until
I can get am OEM or get an aftermarket. With a 2007 with 60,000 miles, aftermarket looks better and better. I have noted they meet federal standards and are much less. Tomorrow the quest begins! ??

BigDaddy, if you do decide to call Ultra RV I can guarantee you they will give you exactly what you need providing it's in stock. I wouldn't tamper with any off market items. I for a fact spoke with a person that did on a Workhorse chassis and experienced the dreaded check engine light coming on all the time. Sit down when they give you the price as I see it has gone up since I replaced mine but you said insurance is covering it except for you deductible so it shouldn't be a problem. Again Good Luck and hope all turns out well.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

trucker11
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Also, NOT having a required Emission system in place is NOT being a good citizen. Doug

OK LOL.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doug you have helped me to many times so I will concede, sorry.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Matt_Colie wrote:
Get a welder to write the VIN on the new converter.

Matt

I’ve seen this comment in many places since this ‘trend’ of thievery began. I cannot believe that a wrecking yard or metal recycler would check VIN numbers and try to confirm same with the local LEO’s.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Big Daddy,

Call the dealer and ask if there is an O2 sensor after the converter. If they say no, then it will run just fine with straight pipe. Nothing will should be damaged. The engine's calibration may be wrong, so it might run strangely, but when you replace the stolen converter, that will fix itself.

Put the straight pipe in with two band clamps and lots of nickle anti-seize. Get a welder to write the VIN on the new converter.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone take a chill. I don’t want to violate any laws, pollute the environment, or damage my rig. I have insurance, and any repair will cost the deductible. My only concern was straight pipe temporarily until
I can get am OEM or get an aftermarket. With a 2007 with 60,000 miles, aftermarket looks better and better. I have noted they meet federal standards and are much less. Tomorrow the quest begins! ??

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF it is on a W22 chassis, the engine is a GM 8.1L and NOT Ford. On my W22 there were FOUR O2 sensors. One before and one after each Cat Converter. Some W22 chassis only have two O2 sensors. In any case, these engine have a fairly sophisticated computer system, ECM, that will notice something is wrong if a straight pipe is added, especially to one side only. This can result in a "check engine" light, or in the worst case, send the engine in to "limp mode". On the OLDER vehicles, most of them would get better performance and better mileage with one or both of the cats removed. On the newer vehicles, because of the ECM, the mileage will certainly decrease as well as the performance. Do not compare 70s-80s vehicles with the newer computer systems. Your engine was designed to have two Cats and since you did mention that you have insurance, get a replacement OEM Cat. As I mentioned before, you can probably get a used Cat within a few days and have it welded in place.
The alternative is to pay hundreds of dollars and replace both CATs with a straight pipe and then pay several hundred dollars more to have your ECM recalibrated to not show a fault. Of course after paying that money you will have lowered your mileage and performance.