cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stranded in Marietta, GA

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our way to Florida in our 99 American Dream diesel with 43000 miles.
After pulling off of I75 in Cleveland, TN for a rest break, I lost pressure to my air brakes.
A local tech was sent out by Good Sam, who looked everything over and said I had been on the brakes too much and I should continue on my way (I'm trying to make this brief).
So we drove another 89 miles to our overnight destination in Acworth,GA.
While maneuvering in the campground my brakes locked up from low air pressure and it took me an hour to build up enough pressure to move it into our space. A mobile service came and found a deteriorated filter in the air dryer, which was to have been checked by a service garage before we left on our trip. They also determined that the governor was defective and replaced it.
When testing it out it first appeared to be working perfectly, with pressure building to 125 very quickly. But after several cycles of test braking, the pressures failed to recover past 60 pounds.
So they checked further and found an issue with a sticking unloder in the compressor. They were unable to get a new compressor until late next week, at which time they had already scheduled work with their regular truck customers. So they did not bill me for the parts, and their labor rate was very reasonable.
Now I am faced with the prospect of having it towed, possibly to a Campers Inn service location nearby (6 miles).
I'm debating whether or not to attempt to drive it there in order to avoid towing. I'm more concerned about potential towing damage to my pristine old motorhome than I am about the cost of towing.
Does anyone have any thoughts they would care to offer?
Thanks in advance.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
18 REPLIES 18

BILDER
Explorer
Explorer
Bypass the air dryer and see if it works,
I had a relay valve on a cement mixer, cause low air on a tag axle.

good luck

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
You would almost be better off at this point to get a good compressor at Lowes or depot and hook it up to your auxiliary port on your rv. Plug in the compressor and start the generator so you have power to the compressor and drive to where you need to go and figure it out later.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Already on the hook for $2000 with no solution in sight
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
The 4th different mobil service is now trying. They went out to locate a new dryer assy. I have no confidence that this will fix it. I have no confidence this will solve the problem.
Ready to offer this RV cheap to the nearest dealet and drive my toad home.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
A week? Its not the space shuttle, surely any truck shop or mobile mechanic can fix it.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:
Been stranded for a week now. This is very frustrating. Georgia Truck Doctor is on the way. I hope he can figure this out.

Keep us posted
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Been stranded for a week now. This is very frustrating. Georgia Truck Doctor is on the way. I hope he can figure this out.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure air dryer is good. Sometimes the filter in the dryer will disintegrate and mess up the dryer. Sometimes it can be cleaned up , and sometimes it needs to be replaced.

If you need a new air compressor Iโ€™d locate a new one and have a mobile mechanic replace.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
JR may have hit the nail on the head. The OP has already stated the air drier/filter was trashed.

Now I wonder where he is and if he's moving.
Hope his air drier is working.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger Smith wrote:
haste maker wrote:
From what you have said, sounds like you may have a air compressor governor going bad, if this is the problem only way to fix this is replace the governor...most good 18 wheeler truck repair shops can do this job.

In his post he said they replaced the governor.

Correct I missed that...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ro646a wrote:
Freezing temps at night.
The mobile tech went through all the air components when be was here. They are pretty confident that I need a compressor.
My greatest fear is my RV getting damaged by towing. The other concern is time. Nobody so far can fit it into their schedule.

For decades most trucks have had air dryers from factory. If they are maintained, airline freeze-up is not a issue. In the years before I retired I noticed a large percentage of pro drivers did not understand opening valves in the bottom of the tank to check for moisture buildup is a good idea. Bet most RVers never knew. There is a good chance, IMHO, that a tech from the south has never dealt with a system freezing up.
The outside temp can be well above freezing, and ice still form where air moves from high to lower pressure.
Look at the system. Trace the big air line from compressor to the first tank, it should have a petcock, (Maybe auto drain valve, maybe valve with lanyard) Use your propane torch, heat that tank near that valve until you can touch, but can't hold with bare hand. Open the drain (If auto, may need to remove. If you have pressure in tank unscrew part way to let it leak. Don't let it hit you if it blasts out.) If you don't get any water out, then I might think about a bad compressor.

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Freezing temps at night.
The mobile tech went through all the air components when be was here. They are pretty confident that I need a compressor.
My greatest fear is my RV getting damaged by towing. The other concern is time. Nobody so far can fit it into their schedule.
Roland
2011 Jeep Liberty
Brake Buddy

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just another thought; How cold is it there? How long has it been since you drained air tanks to check for water?
Damp air, going thru valves where the pressure can ice up cause problems to make you pull your hair out.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you have a tow car get the part number, take lots of pictures, and
go looking for one.

Acworth/Marietta Ga is right there at Atlanta so you should be able to find plenty of
large truck ( semi ) parts stores.

The post above using a small 120v compressor is what I would do, then drive it to
a truck shop