cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge protector and water filters

GusCalifornia
Explorer
Explorer
Just picking up my new (and my first) class c in 2 days. We have only done tent camping so we have not stayed at an RV site before. I understand I should get a surge protector for when I plug in. I went on Amazon and the price differences are pretty big yet they all seemed to have pretty good reviews. Any brand names people trust? I rather not spend $200 if I donโ€™t have to. I saw some a quarter of that price. Will the cheap ones do the trick?

Question 2- do I need to put a filter at sink? Or a filter outside to catch sediment?

Would love to know from the experienced what you suggest.

Thank you!
15 REPLIES 15

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
You may also want to consider getting a water pressure regulator. Here is a link with info and regulators: https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/water-pressure-regulators. I bought the Fairview 55 PSI inline regulator with great flow and am very pleased with it. My setup is the Camco blue water filter and the Fairview attached to it so that the pressure is controlled before it gets to my hose. Last thing, I use a Zero G water hose that is really easy to coil even in cold weather. Enjoy your rv and camping.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
There does seem to be a bit of confusing misinformation out there. Im not an electrician but CGโ€™s need to update their old elec systems if they plan on charging rvโ€™ers to stay with them without damaging their new expensive rvโ€™s due to low voltage at a given pedestal.
The CG will not repair or replace appliances that become burnt out bc their elec system is sub-par but they want my money to stay with them . I have used my Autoformer a dozen times , only after asking the CG owners and never been refused.
Autoformers are different than autotransformers and as far as i know, the jury is still out and will probably still be out on this one.
There is so much debating going on about this topic that i stopped reading about it and just use it after asking. I want to protect my rv and feel i dont have any other choice but to ask to use it .

It was explained to me that a voltage booster converts amps to volts. The breaker on the pole regulates the maximum amount of power you are able to draw, it would be impossible to use more power than what is offered.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
You are not looking for JUST a surge protector, you want what most of the manufacturers refer to as a EMS (Electrical Management System) which is somewhat of a misnomer but in any case, they do alot more than just catch surges. They have a relay in them that will close after they check the incoming circuit for crossed wiring (which would be at the pedestal) and they also monitor voltage and only allow voltage between about 105v to about 125v to prevent burning up devices such as A/C units (generally due to low voltage). They will also (usually) monitor and shut off power if the voltage is too high or low after you plug up, and also the cycles (Hz) is out of range.

Here is the text of a post I made on another forum in response to almost the same question about surge suppression/electric management..........

I installed a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C in the Winnebago View motor home I had previously. Sold it. Unit worked good, I liked having the display inside that showed the volts, amps, cycles, and previous or current error code. Its gone now, so I gotta do it all over again.

Planning on a portable unit this time, get a new RV, and keep the device, they are too expensive to keep giving away when I sell something.

Considering the Progressive EMS-PT30X. It has the same display built into it, so if you want to see it, you gotta go to the pedestal and look at it. Must hang vertically when in use (not sure why) so the lack of Bluetooth to an app or inside display and the must hang vertically are the Cons of this. Also, the surge suppressor in this unit cannot be replaced by the owner, and must be returned to Progressive. USA made and does display cycles are pluses to me. Other good pluses are a weather cover over the receptacle where the shore cord plugs in. $286 on Amazon, cannot be purchased from Mfg.

Second is the Southwire/Surge Guard 34930 OR 34931. This has all of the bells and
whistles too. It monitors cycles and shuts down if out of range, but does not display the cycles. The 34931 has the optional Bluetooth capability to a display inside the RV (I like that), but apparently no app to use on phone or tablet. No mention of a replaceable surge suppressor, in fact it says the unit should be replaced if you get a surge failure warning. $251 from Amazon, cannot be purchased direct from mfg.

Third is the Hughes PWD-30EPO which does all of the same things as the others, but will Bluetooth to your phone or tablet, no separate display available. I cannot find anything that says it monitors cycles, so not sure on that one. It does have a user replaceable surge suppressor in case yours blows. $255 retail from Hughes. $230 on Amazon.

Progressive features and comparison chart

Southwire/Surge Guard feature and comparison charg, scroll to bottom of page

Hughes features and comparison chart, scroll down the page to near the bottom.

For me, what I would like to have is the Southwire 40430 which is a transfer switch and EMS combined. I have a built in generator, so this would be perfect, but it is something like $600 and no one would talk about discounting it. I think it is an odd beast that may disappear from the market Southwire has not taken any pains to promote it.

I am liking the Hughes unit more than the others.

As far as the autoformer goes, it is a step up transformer (Boost) and as such draws more current than it puts out. Many private parks forbid such units as it puts additional loads on their already strained systems. The 2020 version of the National Electric Code says that autotransformers, autoformers, line conditoners, whatever you want to call them, and not allowed to be used in an RV park/campground. There is, of course, no teeth in this unless a local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) meaning a state, county, city, etc, has adopted that version of the code and incorporated it into defacto law. But, simply put, they are 1) trying to get campgrounds to improve their electric grids, and 2)stop people from causing even worse brownouts by some people using autoformers while others suffer with even lower voltage. I don't have any skin in the game, so it doesn't matter to me, but it is something to think about. Not trying to start an argument, just stating the simple facts as best as I can.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes CG's don't have enough juice, I use an Autoformer to boost the voltage but I surge protect it with an SSP30x between the pedestal and Hughes then between the Hughes and rv I use a Surge Guard 34930. I was advised to surge protect the Hughes then once the voltage is boosted I surge protect the rv.
The Hughes itself only has minimal surge protection built in.

Read MEXICOWANDERER

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28305082/print/true.cfm

GusCalifornia
Explorer
Explorer
This is great help everyone. Thank you!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWill the cheap ones do the trick?โ€ Surge protection isnโ€™t the right place to try to save money.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
I actually like the Southwire Surge Guard. It has a lifetime warranty like the Progressive. It also gives you English error codes. unlike the Progressive E-1 type codes that you have to look up to see what they mean. Also I like that the Southwire has an optional wireless remote sensor that you can mount in the RV and see the status of the power such as volts/ amps/cycles and the error codes. I had the Progressive unit before but feel like they are a little behind the times with their user interface. Both companies make excellent products and stand behind them. Here is a good video comparing the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qTMpc9aTa0

Edited to update the link.
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd say go with the Progressive unit. Not cheap but definitely worth. Had ours on 3 or 4 trips & it would give error codes. Called the company. They asked for pics and the error code number. Then they told me to cut off the plug & trash the entire unit, a replacement was on the way. Got the replacement the next week. Gott love a company that stands behind their product.
Water filter: We use the Camco inline blue filter for every tank fill. Get a new filter every year and haven't a problem.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
gdweb wrote:
Progressive EMS. Lifetime Warranty, rated for your rv 30 or 50 amp. hardwired or portable is a matter of choice. I like the portable. I don't use water filter since we only shower and wash dishes with campsite water.

Not to be a buzz kill but Progressive will almost always come up with a reason to deny claim coverage.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a good power protection device. A good number of power poles have old or damaged connectors. As far as filters, the little inline blue filters do an adequate job. We went with a whole house filter as it can be used to help add bleach to the water tank for sanitizing.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the things it's good to remember is that you're not on your own turf when you're traveling. The water will be different and the electrical system might be unprotected and create surges.

On surge protectors this falls into the "you get what you pay for" category. I went ahead and bought the nice Progressive EMS portable one because RV electrical systems are even more expensive to repair.

Because different water sources in different places can cause the trots I always have a filter. Nothing's worse than being out hiking and you have an explosion. Not pretty.

On the trailer I had an installed filter system. On my mh I have an inline filter for the water hose. It's easy to replace and they usually have them in the rv automotive aisle at Walmart.

We also have one of those water pitchers with a filter on it for added protection of our drinking water. Anything that goes into our bodies I'm very careful about and that includes drinking water. The pitcher with a filter is easier to store than stacks of bottled water too.

If you do any cold weather camping get some pipe insulation for your water hose and in-line filter. You might want to get a heated hose too. You'll thank me when you still have running water and your camp neighbors are out slamming their hoses to break up the ice. Here's one. Not cheap but it makes cold weather camping much less of a hassle.
Heated drinking water hose
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I also don't really worry about water filtration, as we don't drink from the fresh tank (or the other two, either). Bottled water for thirst, coffee, and cooking.

Check out this place. It has a good selection of EMS units and the prices are among the best around. NO, I don't work for them, but bought my EMS-PT30X from them. Fast and fair.
http://www.bestconverter.com/EMS-PT30X-Portable-EMS_p_514.html
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
I believe this is one case where you get what you pay for. To me, this is probably the most important item you need to buy for the RV. Progressive Industries and Southwire Surge Guard both make excellent products. You are probably looking at around $250. Expensive but well worth it. RV parks are notorious for having bad electrical hookups. The good ones will also protect you from under/over-voltage situations as well as miswired campground boxes and surges.
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive EMS. Lifetime Warranty, rated for your rv 30 or 50 amp. hardwired or portable is a matter of choice. I like the portable. I don't use water filter since we only shower and wash dishes with campsite water.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res