cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tail light issues

Ramblin__Rosie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Winnebago Outlook 331C. The tail lights use the two filament bulbs that are commonly found in trailer light for the brake and turn signal, plus a single filament bulb for the backup light (refer to the attached picture.) We are having chronic problems with the two filament bulbs coming dislodged, thereby making the brake light and/or the turn signal inoperative. Removing the lens and jiggling the bulb solves the problem, but the problem re-occurs after we get back on the road. IS there any effective solution to this problem?

Is there any way to replace these light fixtures with LED fixture? If so, can anyone recommend a specific product? Ideally, I would prefer something that can be surface-mounted, so I don't have to cut holes in the fiberglass for a recessed mounted fixture.

Tail light picture
Cartersville, Georgia
2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C Class C
(Chevy 6.0L 6000 Vortec Chassis)
17 REPLIES 17

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the socket with the 2 metal strips that contact the bulb they are terrible from day 1. You can replace that socket with the older style that actually has the springs with decent bulb contacts. I did that with mine several years ago which gave my tail lights a permanent fix. These sockets will replace the old style and fit into your original fixture. LED bulbs won't help a bad socket make contact.
Brian

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If bulb fits loosely in plated plastic socket, try wrapping sides of bulb with aluminum foil, gluing foil to sides of bulb, to make better contact. Adding some solder to bulb contacts on bottom and filing smooth may help contacts there.

Your plight reminded me of problems I had with an old orphan Higgins Delta Class C.I had to patch broken obsolete plastic tail light lens with a red plastic repair kit. Surprised that Winnebago used poor design/quality tail light parts and cannot supply replacements for a 2007 rig.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was not able to view your taillight pic. I searched for your model rv and see that your light is a square. That is an easy DIY fabrication.
I fabricated two different rear lights on my own by using a new light inside the OEM light. I drilled a new hole next to the old socket and ran the wires to it.

The second time, because it was a squared lens and easy to fabricate, I used a white plastic dollar store cutting board in place of the red lens. You might be able to screw it in place or as I did , glued it in place after installing an LED light onto the cutting board. If you shop for a large light the fabrication won't look too bad. It will look like white trim surrounding the new LED and blend into the rear of the rv. Just use a matching sealant on the seams to make it blend.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the same problem on a car a few months ago. It had a loose fitting socket. I pushed a couple of flat toothpicks in between the socket and bulb. It's a McGyver fix, but it's been working fine for 3 months now.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Ramblin__Rosie
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Might be time to go to a body shop and them fabricate a fiberglass cover for the OEM taillight. It can be made to blend the fabrication into the body contour of the motorhome. They can add a new LED light to that fabrication.

This is not a bad idea, as long as the cost is reasonable.

CharlesinGA wrote:
That is the same tail light used on my 2007 Winnebago View. It was made in India. The socket is plastic and chrome plated to be a reflector. I had lots of troubles with the contacts. The bulbs are 1157 bulbs and yes, polishing the contacts carefully, bending the ground contact strip on the side of the hole where the bulb fits (socket is hard brittle plastic, remember) and adding solder to the bulb contacts helps. There is no replacing the socket, as it is the entire light assembly (sans the lens) and it is no longer made.

Good luck

Charles

Sounds like I have the same fixture. The housing is flimsy silver plastic, and the contacts in the light housing itself cannot be replaced, without replacing the entire unit. They are Rinder units, Model# 952-959. They have been discontinued, and are very difficult to find.
Cartersville, Georgia

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be time to go to a body shop and them fabricate a fiberglass cover for the OEM taillight. It can be made to blend the fabrication into the body contour of the motorhome. They can add a new LED light to that fabrication.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
That is the same tail light used on my 2007 Winnebago View. It was made in India. The socket is plastic and chrome plated to be a reflector. I had lots of troubles with the contacts. The bulbs are 1157 bulbs and yes, polishing the contacts carefully, bending the ground contact strip on the side of the hole where the bulb fits (socket is hard brittle plastic, remember) and adding solder to the bulb contacts helps. There is no replacing the socket, as it is the entire light assembly (sans the lens) and it is no longer made.

Good luck

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pinching the socket down a bit is a free and easy approach. I’d try that first. If no worky, replace socket or tail light assembly?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 bad socket

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Rosie,

I bet you dollars to donuts that you have a defective socket or two. I have recently run into several sockets that were defective. If you don't have to seriously push on the bulb to get it to go into the locked position or can't get it there at all, that is what you have.

There is supposed to be a slot or a forming that causes the pins of the bulb to lock into the bayonet. This feature is a kind of L shape with the short part towards the lens. If this is the case, and it does not cause the bulb to lock in, it can be repaired buying a replacement socket is the better bet.

Some years back, I ran into sockets that did not have springs, but had rubber plugs for the contact base and the rubber aged out. If that is what you have, just cut the effort and go buy new sockets.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Ramblin__Rosie
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I,m 74. been in the auto business for most my life ,never seen a bulb come loose in the socket there spring loaded . push in twist they lock in the socket. I have seen where the glass and the brass come loose and the light still worked . pull the blub all the way out so you have the complete bulb in your hand look at the number and buy a new one. or stop at autozone and they,ll change it for you.

We have replaced the bulb several time, with brand new bulbs. I think there is a problem with the bulb sockets.
Cartersville, Georgia

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The socket can be replaced, but you may have to remove the whole tail light housing.

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Drop a small dab of solder on both connections of the bulb. File down slightly to make them flat and still fit in the socket. WFM, YMMV
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Have you tried giving the socket a little squeeze so it holds the bulb a little tighter?
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin