cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thetford Aria electric toilet won't hold water in the bowl.

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with the Thetford Aria toilet not holding water in the bowl. Is it worth trying to fix or should I just spend a couple of hundred dollars and replace it with a foot flush unit.
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL
11 REPLIES 11

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Well, I finally got around to replacing the motor assembly. It wasn't too bad of a job. It took me about 2 hours start to finish. But now the bowl holds water as it should and the flush cycle works perfectly. Thanks to all who replied to my post. And a special thank you to dougrainer. Your advice was right on target.
Brenda, Bill
400 hp Cummins ISL

bobtucker
Explorer
Explorer
Bend a cheap butter knife, (1/2inch) and while the seal is open fun the knife around the seal. Then use pluber's grease around the seal. Works for me and is what Thetford suggests.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
toilet bush worked for me
Bill

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I also had an Aria in my Diplomat. There is a knurled knob on the back that you can turn to manually open the gate valve. I would then clean the seal as described. Mine was still holding water after 10 years.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
When our Thetford Aria would not hold water I cranked the slide open. I then used a round toilet bowl cleaning brush. I pushed the brush half way down the hole and rotated it around the hole. I did this a couple times and have never had any problems since. I did not have to pull the toilet up.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Jim@HiTek wrote:
I usually clean as best I can, turn off the water, than pour a little ATF in the empty bowl. Let it sit in there a couple days. It will often cause the seals to expand a bit which will cause it to seal against water again. Usually only had to do it once a year after the rig had been sitting unused for a bit.

Both of you need to understand this type seal/knife system is NOT like a regular toilet seal system. You CANNOT clean this type with a toothbrush or any type tool. You must pull the toilet and remove the motor mechanism to do any cleaning or maintenance. Doug

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I usually clean as best I can, turn off the water, than pour a little ATF in the empty bowl. Let it sit in there a couple days. It will often cause the seals to expand a bit which will cause it to seal against water again. Usually only had to do it once a year after the rig had been sitting unused for a bit.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a toothbrush to clean the seal during my yearly maintenance and never have had an issue with it. Make sure you throw the toothbrush away when finished..:E..just sayin...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the fast replies. I will try cleaning the seal this afternoon. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll order the mechanism and change that out. What will take Doug less than an hour will probably take me all day. I have no experience with these toilets. But I am willing to tackle almost anything related to my rv.

I don't know how long it has been since the seal was replaced if ever. We just bought this rv a month ago. Due to a leveling jack issue, we haven't been camping with it yet. Hopefully that problem will be correct tomorrow.

Thanks again for you advice.
Bill
Brenda, Bill
400 hp Cummins ISL

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If the unit is more than 5 years old, I would replace the mechanism package. That is the motor and seals. You have probably impacted some debris in the end of the slide mechanism. You can pull the motor assbly and clean it out, but as I stated, if over 5 years old replace the motor assbly. It is replaced as a unit. Very easy to do after the toilet is pulled. The toilet uses a different flange than a pedal model. You would have to replace the floor mount flange also if changing toilets. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFB3FYM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-strip...

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Press both buttone together. The gate valve will open. Try cleaning the groove

I've had mine for 12 years and neve had that problem.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter