cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking About Winter Storage

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first year with a motorhome and I I have a few questions about winter storage.

1. Any recommendations on the fuel level to maintain over the winter months. We are in cold upstate NY.

2. I was told to add an additive. Any recommendations on type? Do you add it once and that is all?

3. I was planning on starting it at least once each month (unit is only 5 minutes from our house), is that satisfactory?

4. Also assume would need to test generator monthly as well.

Thank you in advance, i know about the winterization of the unit itself.

Mike
11 REPLIES 11

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, I am fortunate to have indoor storage available for our Roadtrek. For winter, here is what I do beyond winterizing.

1. Keep the gas tank full. Probably not necessary these days, but old dogs don't relearn their tricks.

2. Use a simple battery cutoff switch on coach and chassis batteries. Here is what I use:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Cutoff-Switch-Car-Rv-Boat-Truck-Link-Terminal-Quick-Disconnect-Kill-Key/119498120

You can buy them at Walmart or most places for under ten bucks. Make sure the batteries are fully charged before storage. In northern climes, some prefer to remove the batteries and store them inside a garage.

3. I drive my RT about sixty miles once a month for all the reasons others have mentioned. I fire up the generator and put it under a good load (the RT has a heat pump so I just set the thermostat sky high, crack the back windows and use that for a load.

4. I fill back up with gas before putting it back in storage.

I feel that it is imperative to run the generator for at least an hour and some manuals suggest two hours every month as a minimum.

5. Other than that, I protect it like I would any vehicle.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Run the tank low and fill it with alcohol free gas (assuming it isn't a diesel) add some red Sta-Bil and run long enough to be sure it is all through the system including the generator. You still may want to run the generator on a regular bases because some are very fussy sitting for more than a month. I would not start the motorhome. If you have power where you are storing you could but a battery tender on the batteries.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When I use Sta-Bil, I chose the Marine Sta-Bil over the regular (red) Sta-Bil.
It costs a few dollars more but, It's supposed to have more stabilizers and anti-corrosion additives.
It works well for me.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't most upstate New Yorkers in Florida by the time it's necessary to winterize? That solves the problem quickly! :C C'mon down!!!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Tammy and Mike.

Not where I live. The tank needs to be as full as possible.

My choice for storage is seafoam. It works for 12 months. It does NOT work for 18 months.

Run the math for us.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tammy and Mike.

Not where I live. The tank needs to be as full as possible.

My choice for storage is seafoam. It works for 12 months. It does NOT work for 18 months.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cardinals wrote:
This is our first year with a motorhome and I I have a few questions about winter storage.

1. Any recommendations on the fuel level to maintain over the winter months. We are in cold upstate NY.

2. I was told to add an additive. Any recommendations on type? Do you add it once and that is all?

3. I was planning on starting it at least once each month (unit is only 5 minutes from our house), is that satisfactory?

4. Also assume would need to test generator monthly as well.

Thank you in advance, i know about the winterization of the unit itself.

Mike

1) Depends on gas vs diesel but condensation in the fuel is mostly myth. If there is water in the fuel, it most likely came with the fuel. Look up the numbers on how much water is in 20gal of air. Even if the air changes over once a day and you squeeze ever last molecule out, there will be just a few drops over the course of the winter.
2) A fuel stabilizer is not a bad idea if it's gas. The ethanol causes gas to have a shelf life and this partially negates that.
3) Unless you put it in gear and get it fully up to temperature, you are doing more harm than good. Assuming you are up north where they use salt on the roads...Better to put her to bed and take the battery home and put it on a battery tender (or charger every month or so).
4) Same treatment for the generator. Unless you run it long enough and under enough load to get it fully up to temperature, more harm than good.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Keeping sun and rain off the roof, as much as possible, should be the first priority.

If possible without too much work, a 30-60 minute drive every couple of months would be very good. It takes that long for engine oil to get hot enough to drive out any moisture that may have accumulated.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add any stabilizer you want and fill the tank. The drive home from the gas station will get the stabilizer into the fuel system.
As for starting it and running it, it normally does more harm than good. Unless you are taking it for a 20 minute drive all you are doing is running the battery down and inducing water/moisture into the exhaust system helping it to rust.
Putting a battery tender on once a month to top off the batteries is not a bad idea.
My opinion. Others will have their own. Good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Could you please let us know the make and model and whether diesel or gas.
2010 Suncruiser

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
You are a little early to think about winterizing.
It's was 92 in Buffalo yesterday!