cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of buying a Class A and seeking advice

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
A little background, I am a veteran camper having purchased our first camper in 2001 and camping for 23 years now. We went from a pop-up to a 25' Dutchmen TT, to a 30' Cherokee to a 33' Jayco Eagle to our present 35' Sabre 5er.

Our tow vehicles went from a Ford Expedition, to a Ford Excursion V-10, to a Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel, to our current 2000 F350 PSD, etc.

I only mention all of that for context, we've obviously camped a long time, with lots of different set ups, etc.

However, thinking now of going the motorhome route and leaning towards a Class A. I'm a teacher and with the kids long since grown and moved out, looking to travel during a week long Thanksgiving break, 2 week long Christmas Break, week long Spring Break, plus a week or so of personal days I can take. During Summer Break the plan is to spend 2 months at Mackinaw Mill Creek (hence the username).

When I say "travel" I simply mean leaving NW Ohio to venture south to get away from winter and set up camp at a local campground to hang out and be warm(er), as I've grown increasingly worse with seasonal depression issues, etc. I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid I plan on using as a toad.

This board has been a HUGE supplier of information for me since I joined way back in the day. I'm simply seeking any and all advice, the things I haven't thought of, or wouldn't...having never camped in a motor home.

Anything is appreciated....

(edit: Just noticed the signature is WAY out of date, lol)
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)
42 REPLIES 42

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
MackinawMan wrote:
I'm simply seeking any and all advice, the things I haven't thought of, or wouldn't...having never camped in a motor home.
Having been RV'ing for nearly 40 years, I'd be happy to offer advice. But in your well-written post, I don't see a question to answer.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Monkeyman_and_Lady wrote:
I've had a lightweight trailer and fell in love with the RV lifestyle. When the time came to upgrade our system (13 years in the trailer needed some AC repairs and the Tow Vehicle was in need of replacement), I opted for a gas class A.

I have worked with the guys at CMI in Columbus. These guys gut new and used rigs to customize for corporate and private customers. If anyone knows what to look for in a new rig, they do. Their advice to me was:

Don't get a full wall slide on anything. The structures are susceptible to warping and misalignment.
Stay with higher end manufacturers. Winnebago, Fleetwood, Newmar. Avoid Thor brands.

I took that advice (see signature) and am very happy I had that information. My V10 gasser isn't whisper quiet, but I never deal with the engine noise that others complain about. The handling is decent, as long as you remember you are driving a giant box down the road and don't try to race to your destination, especially on curves.

Since I don't leadfoot it (65MPH on the high end, but where the traffic paces and I feel comfortable is where I drive it) I get 7.5 to 8 MPG.

My one piece of advice to you, since you live in Ohio and plan on using it during the winter months - ensure you check the frame for rust, espc. on the fluid lines. If you buy new, get rustproofing on the chassis.

Good luck and I hope this information has been helpful.

Thank you...great information!!
Prodigy Brake Controller

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a lightweight trailer and fell in love with the RV lifestyle. When the time came to upgrade our system (13 years in the trailer needed some AC repairs and the Tow Vehicle was in need of replacement), I opted for a gas class A.

I have worked with the guys at CMI in Columbus. These guys gut new and used rigs to customize for corporate and private customers. If anyone knows what to look for in a new rig, they do. Their advice to me was:

Don't get a full wall slide on anything. The structures are susceptible to warping and misalignment.
Stay with higher end manufacturers. Winnebago, Fleetwood, Newmar. Avoid Thor brands.

I took that advice (see signature) and am very happy I had that information. My V10 gasser isn't whisper quiet, but I never deal with the engine noise that others complain about. The handling is decent, as long as you remember you are driving a giant box down the road and don't try to race to your destination, especially on curves.

Since I don't leadfoot it (65MPH on the high end, but where the traffic paces and I feel comfortable is where I drive it) I get 7.5 to 8 MPG.

My one piece of advice to you, since you live in Ohio and plan on using it during the winter months - ensure you check the frame for rust, espc. on the fluid lines. If you buy new, get rustproofing on the chassis.

Good luck and I hope this information has been helpful.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I'm old school. No slides for me.

What will we do when fuel reaches $6 per gallon?

I'd really love to move to an electric RV.

Electric? You're kidding right? Unless the energy density goes up many factors BEV is a pipe dream for the RV industry.

As long as you're not lead footing it a gas Class A is not horrible for MPG. I get 7.5 to 7.85 MPG in my rig and I've got a Toad behind me.

So $6/gal would suck, but my calculations for our most taken trips to Orlando show that once you factor in hotel costs that it takes it to $7/gal before you're not saving money taking the RV. Factor in "I'm in MY home, not some hotel room" and you can take it even further.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

The update is great.
But,IMO, don’t put a strict timeline on your decision.
I think a pusher is a great option for someone who is putting on a lot of miles. Which sounds like your plans will be in that category.
The big question and non of our business really is budget. Personally I’m a cheap sob when it comes to vehicles even though I could afford to buy new, so my perspective is different than some. But I feel there is great value in older used pushers.
Not so old that you look at it and are like “wtf?” But mid 2000s ish seems to be a sweet spot for overall value imo. (I’ve been lookin a bit, just thinking about what’s on tap next).

Actually the mid-2000's seems to be my sweet spot so you must have been looking and seeing the same thing I have been. Honestly from about 2003-2007 seems very doable, and I've come across several good looking rigs in ads so far, but of course the question is do they look as good in person as they do in the ads, lol.

I've also come across a couple of 2000-2002 that are very tempting, but we'll see.
Prodigy Brake Controller

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
MackinawMan wrote:
So for those of you that have gone from towing a 5th wheel to driving a Class A, how would you compare the two experiences?

Currently we tow a 35' Sabre 5th wheel that's approximately 9,500-10,000 lbs. when loaded with a 2000 Ford F350 with the 7.3L PSD. It's a SRW, long bed and crew cab..

It's a very comfortable tow, so plenty of power to cruise and it also handles very well, don't even know the 5er is back there most of the time. Even in windy conditions it does great.

Just curious....these are the questions I have.

I went the opposite direction.
My very 1st RV was a new 2007 40' Monaco Diplomat DP flat towing a 2005 Chevy Colorado 2 wheel drive auto trans. And there was a lot of expense setting it up for towing. And we then started our full-timing adventure. I had to be careful not to overload the rear axle (due to hobbies), so.....
We traded it for a 2008 43' tag axle Fleetwood Revolution DP.
Both were easy to drive. 4 slides on each but bathroom and fridge were easy to get to while "on the road". Of course, setting up both involved pushing buttons.

Due to my late wife's cancer, we sold the DP, left full-timing and bought a house in central Ohio. After her passing, I moved back to AZ and met my current bride. While living in a house, we bought a 27' Class C to take short trips in (mostly boondocking).

Now, I'm back to full-timing with my bride and we decided to go the 5th wheel option (see signature). This is our 1st 5th wheel and we are very happy with it. Setup is still pushing buttons just like the DPs. I can say that both type RVs have their advantages and disadvantages (we have never had to setup in the rain 😉 ).

With regards to your travel "windows", I think your desire to go to a Class A has very strong merits. We don't have time constraints. We're retired and our "drives" are 3 hours or less with a few days to a month in between most "drives".
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MackinawMan wrote:
Just an update, as I've done further research, looked at ads, etc...I'm heavily leaning towards going with a diesel pusher Class A instead of a gas.

Once I get closer to buying I'll undoubtedly have more questions and start more threads so thank you to all who have given advice so far.

Just one more hurdle to clear here and then I'll know for sure if I'm going this route...and hopefully I'll know early next week.

Thanks again!

The update is great.
But,IMO, don’t put a strict timeline on your decision.
I think a pusher is a great option for someone who is putting on a lot of miles. Which sounds like your plans will be in that category.
The big question and non of our business really is budget. Personally I’m a cheap sob when it comes to vehicles even though I could afford to buy new, so my perspective is different than some. But I feel there is great value in older used pushers.
Not so old that you look at it and are like “wtf?” But mid 2000s ish seems to be a sweet spot for overall value imo. (I’ve been lookin a bit, just thinking about what’s on tap next).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to include older XL Prevost coaches in that search. If it's just 2 of you (or only you), you don't need slides and the late 90's Prevosts are much nicer than any plastic coach you might find. Ride and handling will make those long, quick trips South a real pleasure.

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update, as I've done further research, looked at ads, etc...I'm heavily leaning towards going with a diesel pusher Class A instead of a gas.

Once I get closer to buying I'll undoubtedly have more questions and start more threads so thank you to all who have given advice so far.

Just one more hurdle to clear here and then I'll know for sure if I'm going this route...and hopefully I'll know early next week.

Thanks again!
Prodigy Brake Controller

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
So for those of you that have gone from towing a 5th wheel to driving a Class A, how would you compare the two experiences?

Currently we tow a 35' Sabre 5th wheel that's approximately 9,500-10,000 lbs. when loaded with a 2000 Ford F350 with the 7.3L PSD. It's a SRW, long bed and crew cab..

It's a very comfortable tow, so plenty of power to cruise and it also handles very well, don't even know the 5er is back there most of the time. Even in windy conditions it does great.

Just curious....these are the questions I have.
Prodigy Brake Controller

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some good discussion about how different vehicles/ setups/ class As drive.
You’re getting into the right time of year here up north where you live for “buyers season”.
If you’re looking used private party, that should afford you some opportunity to test drive different styles and models.
Everyone’s opinion of what drives nice, acceptably or poorly is different and with this you can make a very educated decision.
Back to price, or value, you seem pretty saavy in that department already, but worth mentioning, there can be and is great value in finding something old enough that it’s deprecated a significant % of total and clean/low miles/use enough that it’s comfortable and reliable. IMO part of one’s comfort with any purchase, short of being “rich”, is the value gained or not lost.
Nice thing about RVs vs say passenger vehicles, being for recreational use primarily is there is always a great selection of older low miles great condition RVs out there.
And you seem like a calculated patient person, but waiting to find the “right” one that doesn’t come with any buyers remorse is very valuable. To me at least.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mackinaw Man, you and I went a very similar path - I've owned a popup, 25' hybrid trailer, then a 34' Citation trailer. Tow vehicles were initially a Dodge Durango, then a V10 Ford Excursion (had that Excursion for years, was awesome truck!).

Then, moved up to the Class A world about 11 years ago. Started with a 36' Georgetown class A, that a few years ago was 'downsized' (but was a major upgrade) to a 31' Newmar (see signature), due to several life changes. One of life change was same as you - kids grown up, and no longer camp with us.

Like you, for many years our towed vehicle was a hybrid Ford Fusion. Must say, you are very fortunate to have one, as they make an excellent towed vehicle and are very easy to flat tow. I've flat towed a total of 4 vehicles (Kia Sedona minivan, Ford Fusion, Ford Taurus, and now Jeep Wrangler). Of all of them, it is a close toss up between the Jeep and the Fusion as to which was best, easiest for towing. What I really liked about the Fusion, was that the power assisted braking stays on all the time, so its much easier to set up an auxiliary braking system. That, and the simplicity of it, how you just throw it in neutral and go.

You've got some great advice so far, not a whole lot I can add, except that I think you're making a good decision, and will be very happy with a Class A, as long as you take your time and make sure you get the right one for you. Everyone's recommendation will almost always be 'slanted' some toward their own experience, what they like, but ultimately, there is no one size fits all when it comes to RVs. You have to focus on, think about what works best for you.

Not sure what kind of budget you have to work with, but I will say one thing: Yes, nothing beats the way the high $$ diesel pushers ride. However, you owe it to yourself to test drive a gas Class A built on the new Ford F53 chassis that came out I believe in 2020. Better engine, much more solid ride/handling...It ain't no diesel pusher, but Ford definitely closed the gap some with the updates they did. You need to try one out, before plunking down obscenely more $$ on a diesel pusher. As one thats owned both an older F53 with the V10 (2012 model), and the newer one (2021 in signature below)...I'm here to tell you, there is a huge difference.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Bruce_Brown
Lantley wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
As far as making the move from a towable to a MH, the best way I've ever heard it said was...

"With a towable the vacation begins after you're set up. With a MH the vacation begins as soon as you turn the key".

A few years back we owned both - I would 100% agree with the above.

I don't disagree with that sentiment. However I just had a discussion with a camping neighbor who had a very new class A gasser.
His comments were everyone enjoyed the traveling portion except the driver.
He felt he was worn out from driving his class A gasser. The passengers enjoyed the trip but he was tired out.
However his dad had a big tandem axle DP that he felt was much more enjoyable/easy to drive.
Driving his dad's RV was a much more relaxing experience vs. his demanding gasser. He felt the DP was much less taxing/stessful to drive.
My point is the vacation always starts on departure for the passengers, however depending on how well the rig performs the driver may have to wait until they are set up at the CG to start their vacation!
All Class A's are not created equal. Driving a rig that does not handle well is not a vacation.
Granted we are comparing a $175K gasser to a $600K DP. Nevertheless they are both class A's. I'm sure the driving experience between the 2 is very different.

I somewhat agree with this. Our current MH certainly is the best driving one we've ever owned.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes---Like I said, my current class A DP has the agility of a Honda Civic and the power of a Corvette. On the highway I just set the cruise control and ride. Life is good!