cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tiffin owners, is this true

Huskerblue
Explorer
Explorer
This blogger states his 2017 Allegro 32SA has a 2000 watt inverter that feeds all the 120 receptacles and microwave and that if the batteries run low the 7.0 generator automatically kicks on. Is this true? I haven't seen this anywhere else. Perhaps he has done some aftermarket mods? Thanks, we're looking at moving up from our 13 year old 26.5 Lazy Daze as we approach retirement and look to be on the road for longer periods of time.

Dave

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017/4/10/the-inevitable-ab-comparison-part-2-camping-review
35 REPLIES 35

Huskerblue
Explorer
Explorer
Nm

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
gonesouth wrote:
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

With wintering in FL, there's always a fiver and have seen them transported back and forth to up north, by someone with a truck and with the owners only owning a small car.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
My 98 Beaver was set up that the left side of the coach's outlets ran off the inverter and the right side just off shorepower. Shows that designers were thinking about this as far back as 98.

I notice from the OP that he doesn't have an A now, and didn't even know what auto-start is, so asking about it here seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
Huskerblue wrote:
Yes, agreed. As the OP I thank all of you for your responses. I learned a lot here.

Although thinking about it further if you intend to throw a few hundred watts of solar panels on your roof the auto gen start would not seem necessary. Have always had solar so I appreciate how well they take care of your batteries no matter how much dry camping you do.

what to do when dark out and batterys run low????? or cloudy rainy days????

Huskerblue
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, agreed. As the OP I thank all of you for your responses. I learned a lot here.

Although thinking about it further if you intend to throw a few hundred watts of solar panels on your roof the auto gen start would not seem necessary. Have always had solar so I appreciate how well they take care of your batteries no matter how much dry camping you do.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
wgoldman wrote:
Huskerblue wrote:
This blogger states his 2017 Allegro 32SA has a 2000 watt inverter that feeds all the 120 receptacles and microwave and that if the batteries run low the 7.0 generator automatically kicks on. Is this true? I haven't seen this anywhere else. Perhaps he has done some aftermarket mods? Thanks, we're looking at moving up from our 13 year old 26.5 Lazy Daze as we approach retirement and look to be on the road for longer periods of time.

Dave

https://openroadscapes.com/blog/2017/4/10/the-inevitable-ab-comparison-part-2-camping-review

Dave, I'm the blogger and these features were all Tiffin factory-installed on my new coach, not aftermarket mods.

-- Bill

Seems to me like the question was asked and answered not sure why this is already 4 pages.
Having said that we had auto start generators on USAF crash trucks in the 1950's.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP - A 2,000 watt inverter may very well do all the plugs and the micro. Mine comes standard with 2,000 watts, and ours has the 2,800 watt option with residential fridge. All outlets (at least that I know of) work, microwave, TVs, everything except ACs, W/D, and probably engine heater and hot water heater electric side.

As stated, you can have your gen auto start by voltage, or even AC demand, if you have the ECM30. It even features a 2 hour autorun prior to quiet time if you like.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
X2 I can't think of the last name used....surprised I forgot.

I think there have been a few.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
cvbdsl wrote:
I don't what hostage said as I put him on my blocked list a while ago as I did not find his responses very nice or helpful. I almost suspect he is the same troll that has been banned many times before based on his attitude and the number of daily posts.
X2 I can't think of the last name used....surprised I forgot.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:
I have a 2015 31SA which is the same as a 32SA but with a queen bed. It has a 800 watt inverter that powers the TV's, the refrigerator and one outlet. Also the generator doesn't start when the batteries get low. Maybe the 2017's are different but if you are unsure I would definitely call Tiffin and find out.

I doubt a system that only uses a little 800 watt inverter has more than min battery supply and would not have autostart;; u don't have to phone all u do is go into the remote inverter panel and see if it has one

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 31SA which is the same as a 32SA but with a queen bed. It has a 800 watt inverter that powers the TV's, the refrigerator and one outlet. Also the generator doesn't start when the batteries get low. Maybe the 2017's are different but if you are unsure I would definitely call Tiffin and find out.

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
cvbdsl wrote:

WRT to the CAPS response, some people are just not social and not helpful. I don't what hostage said as I put him on my blocked list a while ago as I did not find his responses very nice or helpful. I almost suspect he is the same troll that has been banned many times before based on his attitude and the number of daily posts. {snip}
Chris

Ditto on the blocking, as I agree the style looks very familiar.

Really now I mean really????
heres my reply to the OP:
very possible
I have a 2008 allegro bus and the 3000 watt inverter feeds most of the outlets and the generator will start when the batterys get below a set voltage;( u can set it to what your low voltage preference is )

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
cvbdsl wrote:

WRT to the CAPS response, some people are just not social and not helpful. I don't what hostage said as I put him on my blocked list a while ago as I did not find his responses very nice or helpful. I almost suspect he is the same troll that has been banned many times before based on his attitude and the number of daily posts. {snip}
Chris

Ditto on the blocking, as I agree the style looks very familiar.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Huskerblue wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Sorry my question incited CAPS response. Having bought a rig from direct seller in Cali and living in the Plains I have become used to going it alone on my maintenance with asking questions online.

Our LD is the only rig we've owned and we have solar so never looked into genny upgrades. In fact our genny has about 275 hours on it and 265 hours has been exercising the danged thing. Not much of a fan of gennys. I'm much more interested in the idea of running all electrical except A/C on the inverter. Will add solar to any rig we buy.

Bill, thanks for your blog, I have enjoyed reading it.

WRT to the CAPS response, some people are just not social and not helpful. I don't what hostage said as I put him on my blocked list a while ago as I did not find his responses very nice or helpful. I almost suspect he is the same troll that has been banned many times before based on his attitude and the number of daily posts.
Blocking someone is quite easy and it saves aggravation.

Most people here are helpful and quite nice so don't give up. Asking questions is the only way to find out - dealers don't always give the "full" story.:)

WRT to your original question many MH's have the automatic generator start and its been around quite a while, sometimes an option and sometimes standard. My new to me MH (2008) has it though I've tried it out yet.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)