cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire inflations

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I wondered how everyone handles tire inflations? I was at the rv show in Dallas yesterday and bought a tire pressur monitor but I still need valve stem extentions, then I guess I have to buy a compressor? This all seams very labor intensive. Is this what everyone is doing or am I over thinking tire pressure? Is there somewhere to take the rig to get air checked and adjusted. My last question regards tire pressure. I have a 36' diesel pusher. I have 6 tires on the ground. My tire inflation guide on the wall next to the driver seat shows the tire sizes and under inflations on front and rear it just says max inflation 100lbs. Is it ok and safe to keep all tires inflated to 100lbs. Is there a good average inflation? So that my tire questions. Thank you, Lee
21 REPLIES 21

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a tire pressure gauge that's near 50 years old, show me a IR thermometer or a TPMS that is half of that.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many devices heavily advertised like the Dragon inflater or the Air Hawk.. I would recommend AGAINST these devices.

I have several choices For the 100PSI Plus tires I use a Crafstman six gallon pancake style 150 PSI compressor... Other companies make compressers like it but quality varies Some I'd avoid.. The one I have is 12 years old and still goign strong.

In addition to inflating tires it can remove and re-place lug nuts (with the proper wrench) lift the RV (Air/Hydraulic 12 ton jack) spray paint, Cut, Sand, Drill, Hammer, Chisel, and more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Years ago, the drivers used to "thump" their tires. A professional could tell from the sound if one tire was low on pressure. Some still do it that way. Good luck with doing that to an inside dual on an RV. It is easier to just use a gauge. :B

A few years ago, one of the tire companies ran "thumping contests" at various truck rodeos and other gatherings. On average, professional truck drivers selected the correct 20 psi under inflated tire only about 15% of the time. And many of those that did get it right admitted they guessed. The non trucker general public did nearly as poorly.

Probably right. That is why I said a quality tire gauge is the best way to check your tires each day.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Years ago, the drivers used to "thump" their tires. A professional could tell from the sound if one tire was low on pressure. Some still do it that way. Good luck with doing that to an inside dual on an RV. It is easier to just use a gauge. :B

A few years ago, one of the tire companies ran "thumping contests" at various truck rodeos and other gatherings. On average, professional truck drivers selected the correct 20 psi under inflated tire only about 15% of the time. And many of those that did get it right admitted they guessed. The non trucker general public did nearly as poorly.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
William B wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
TPMS will tell you what you have now, they will not tell you what you should have.
Tire manufacturer's pressure charts are a recommendations, and often not the best pressure for your application.

Monitoring tire temperature is the only real method of knowing what THAT tire is doing in THAT position. TPMS are a big help in doing this.

I have to say there are several comments you've made that I have a real problem with, no offense. "Tire manufacturer's pressure charts are recommendations" is one. Those charts give you the specific pressures to carry a specific amount of weight, they are not recommendations. And are you seriously saying all you need is your hand to check temperature to accurately set your tire pressure? Sorry, but I have to call foul.

Just ask yourself,, How did the truckers do it 20-50 years ago.
they didn't have the fancy stuff we do today.

If you mean fancy stuff like a tire pressure gauge and a manufacturer's load and inflation table, they sure did.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Let's keep in mind that all tire pressure settings are done cold and no matter what the ambient temp. is.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
By the time you wait for a tire to warm up in the Winter, you have probably put enough miles on it, under inflated, that the damage is already done. They do make inexpensive laser temperature gauges that are a lot more accurate, but you still have to have a place to start before you can find that one tire that is hotter than the rest. A good quality tire gauge still is the best way to start off each day.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
William B wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
TPMS will tell you what you have now, they will not tell you what you should have.
Tire manufacturer's pressure charts are a recommendations, and often not the best pressure for your application.

Monitoring tire temperature is the only real method of knowing what THAT tire is doing in THAT position. TPMS are a big help in doing this.

I have to say there are several comments you've made that I have a real problem with, no offense. "Tire manufacturer's pressure charts are recommendations" is one. Those charts give you the specific pressures to carry a specific amount of weight, they are not recommendations. And are you seriously saying all you need is your hand to check temperature to accurately set your tire pressure? Sorry, but I have to call foul.

Just ask yourself,, How did the truckers do it 20-50 years ago.
they didn't have the fancy stuff we do today.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Licreek wrote:
Hello, I wondered how everyone handles tire inflations? I was at the rv show in Dallas yesterday and bought a tire pressur monitor but I still need valve stem extentions, then I guess I have to buy a compressor? This all seams very labor intensive. Is this what everyone is doing or am I over thinking tire pressure? Is there somewhere to take the rig to get air checked and adjusted. My last question regards tire pressure. I have a 36' diesel pusher. I have 6 tires on the ground. My tire inflation guide on the wall next to the driver seat shows the tire sizes and under inflation on front and rear it just says max inflation 100lbs. Is it ok and safe to keep all tires inflated to 100lbs. Is there a good average inflation? So that my tire questions. Thank you, Lee

I weigh each axle and then add 10 - 15psi to the load inflation chart, obtainable online. This takes care of all the variables, such as side to side difference, ambient temps. over time in travel....etc..etc...
I mean, checking each day is enough while on the road without having to air up during your travels all the time.
With your DP, do you not have onboard air for pumping up your tires?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Your diesel pusher should have 120 psi on board all ready and its dry air as compared to using a portable compressor, so no need to buy one. Most pushers will have an air coupling available some where usually in the front generator compartment or some place else. Purchase two 20ft coil hoses and an air chuck from harbor freight and you are all set.
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Licreek wrote:
So how much do inflations vary? Is the average 100lbs? Before I get a weight should I run at max?

You should start by airing to a pressure that will show you a very slight bulge at the bottom of the tire.(cold)
Then there is a reliable method of determining your required tire pressure.
Knowing your tires will heat when under inflated, you simply start with a pressure that you know isn't over inflated, and test. (or your first hour on the road in the morning) then see if the tires are heating. they should never get too hot to touch, but should get warm as your hand.
If the tires are running cold, and you believe they ride hard, lower the pressure a little and repeat.

continue these temp checks at every stop, you will figure out what pressure your tires need to give the best ride but not over heat.
Never adjust your pressure during the day except to add pressure to make them run cooler.

TPMS will allow you to monitor the temps and pressure, which is handy when doing the tests to see which pressure is best for the coach you have.
I have noticed that my 22.5X10:00 Michelins will have the slightest bulge at the bottom when cold first thing in the morning, but that will disappear when warm.
I Find on my coach 95-100 is the best pressure.
Also, inspect your rims, they will have the maximum pressure allowed stamped on them. never exceed that pressure. (my aluminum wheels that is 120 psi)

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh your coach then find the correct TP for each weight, for each axle from the tire manual that came with your coach...or get one off the internet. Add 10% to the number in the manual and use the same TP for each side of the axle. Here's a great air compressor that is on sale, I carry one with me:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-6-Gallon-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor/4764588
2014 American Eagle