cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire valve Stems

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time for new tires. Getting quotes on 6 new tires.
My question is it necessary to get new valve stems every time you get new tires. They put $85.00 for 6 tires on the quote. The last time I purchased tires I believe they used the old ones. The size of tires are 275/70R 22.5.
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 15 years I had one brass stem fail.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I had no idea that there was so many issues with metal valve stems.
So far my 26 year old brass stems and gaskets are working perfectly.
I did have one with a loose nut that I had to tighten.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
When I woke up my coach from a 4 month hibernation last month my driver side inner dual was about 35 lbs light. Tire tech struggled with finding anything & ultimately found the metal stem had a slight (very slight) leak. Leak was not where it screws into tire but stem was allowing a small amount of air out through the core & air was escaping past the TST cap. Didn't realize that could happen. Regardless he replaced the stem & we're golden. Anyway, new tires will likely run you several grand YES I would let them install new stems for $85. Nothing lasts forever.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once you have the dully kit you'll wonder why you didn't have them sooner. The kits are available for various rim configurations.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Six tires. Does this mean Duly's
How hard is it to check the pressures on the dulys?

Dully valves make it easy. they are more expensive but man oh man are they worth it.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go wrong with metal stems but if you can find stainless ones, that would be better.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
All are metal on 22.5s as far as I know. The small gaskets need to be changed even if the stems themselves are uncorroded,bent n holes or otherwise damaged plus the valves inside the stems themselves and the caps.
Only stainless steel or chromed stainless steel is acceptable. The caps themselves should be the best with the rubber gaskets inside.
The valve stem caps saved us once, on the left front wheel. The valve had been loosened and pressure was down but the cap kept most of the pressure in and if tighter it might have kept all in. The disaster awaiting from a blown low pressure hot tire makes the price worth while perhaps. The trend has been for shops to use the cheapest Chinese junk. Ask to see what they install and where it came from. Freightliner put on wheel nut covers that were loose and rusted in a few weeks from rain. They had barrels full of them they damaged our originals.Said that was all they had. Called Freightlner South Carolina. They had the American made stainless ones. They didn't want to pay for them and lied. hd them order the right ones.Caveat Emptor is the rule of the day.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF this is the first time you got new tires consider a company called Duly Valves or something very close to that.

I know on my Workhorse checking the inside dual was.. not easy

Till I had duly valves put on and then it was about as hard as the tires on my car.. Easier in fact.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Always use metal stems and replace sealing washers with each tire exchange and enjoy peace of mind and safety. Whenever we go cheap on our own projects we know who stuck it to us when we have a failure.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
$14.15 for parts and install on each wheel. Do it for the peace of mind and value. One service call to change out a flat due to a leaking valve stem will set you back a lot more than that.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had mine replaced with the second set of tires, just because....be proactive. After 14 years on the coach, I figured it was time.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
All the truck tire shop did on my last big truck was replace the rubber gaskets used on the metal stems, not replacing the complete stem. That seems to me not a needed thing to do, but don't know for sure. I would ask why and maybe even ask other truck tire shops the reason for replacement.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
getting old if they have been in that long.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the metal duly kit, easy access for airing and TPMS.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob