cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

topher80
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back from the Rally (in Syracuse) and it seems to be the consensus that you replace ties at 5-6 years. My tires were made on 9/07 so I am ready to bite the bullet. Got a quote from a local, reputable tire dealer on Yokohama tires ...489/tire installed, balanced, valves, etc.

Michelin offers through FMAC tire deal 255/70 x 22.5 at 475, prior to installation.

I have heard good things about Yokohama, but it seems that Good Year and Michelin have bog share of the market.

Comments, anyone? Thanks.

Go Bruins tonight.
So after 33 years
I gave up golf...we'll see how this works
42 REPLIES 42

aeejbe
Explorer
Explorer
PF&PM wrote:
The tires on my single axle dump truck are 12 years old . They passed inspection .

Apple & Oranges.
Even with "extensive" motorhome traveling, my sense is that your dump truck usage & mileage is WAY different from the road demands put upon your Kountry Star. IMHO, I just couldn't rest at night if MY coach sported 12 year old rubber.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The NHTSA states that rubber degradation increases exponentially after 5 years primarily from ozone. Tires should be inspected regularly regardless of age and have more frequent inspection at 5 years. Tires should be replaced at the first signs of problems developing.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Aged out Tires

may want to read this

topher80 wrote:
Just came back from the Rally (in Syracuse) and it seems to be the consensus that you replace ties at 5-6 years. My tires were made on 9/07 so I am ready to bite the bullet. Got a quote from a local, reputable tire dealer on Yokohama tires ...489/tire installed, balanced, valves, etc.

Michelin offers through FMAC tire deal 255/70 x 22.5 at 475, prior to installation.

I have heard good things about Yokohama, but it seems that Good Year and Michelin have bog share of the market.

Comments, anyone? Thanks.

Go Bruins tonight.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

PF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
The tires on my single axle dump truck are 12 years old . They passed inspection .
2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog. Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
You might check on Hankook...great tires.

x2. I replaced the Michelin tires on our 96 Southwind with Hankook tires. I like them and, I'll buy Hankook again.

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
I had Toyo tires installed on my MH have put on about 2,000 miles so far and I think they ride nicer than the old Goodyear tires.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might check on Hankook...great tires.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

simple274
Explorer
Explorer
My tires was 6 years old, still looked good, had 14,000 miles on them. Paid $419.00ea. for new ones, I just replaced the steers, didn't think I had to replace the back ones, still looked good. Felt more safe to replace just the steers.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Yokohame makes a good tire!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Too Rich for Me! I have New Double Coin Drive Tires and Continental Steers. They run just fine and cost Me a lot less than anything that I have seen on this Forum!

I was a long term Michelin Fan, but they priced themselves out of My comfort zone.

We put about Ten Thousand Miles a Year on Our Rigs!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin and Goodyear are no better than the other excellent rated truck tires and offer NO more protection than the truck tires.....If you think the old cliche' of you get what you pay for and have more money than brains, then spend it how you like. I believe in getting the most for my money and in your case Yokos are a much better buy than the Michelin.

Also, the 5 year rule is pure BS and was dreamed up by the rich, not the average user. Michelin says on its website that their tires are good for 10 years, as do other manufacturers, so why are you wasting your money.....:?

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

topher80
Explorer
Explorer
how old were your tires?
So after 33 years
I gave up golf...we'll see how this works

simple274
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought new Michelin xrv, love them.