cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torque on Lug Nuts

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quick question. Has anyone ever had to have their lug nuts re-torqued after having new tires installed?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
26 REPLIES 26

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Chum lee wrote:

Oh, . . . come on. Please stop it. I'm not saying that owning something like a Dewalt/PorterCable 6 gallon 120 volt pancake compressor (no affiliation) is the most efficient, production line industrial/commercial way to live your life. THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M/WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE. Granted, when using a pancake style compressor, you may have to pause briefly to recharge the tank (to 165 psi) after breaking a few oyer-torqued lug bolts/nuts (maybe 650 ft-lbs in this case) but it WILL get them off so that you can, . . . git-er-done in an emergency situation rather than sitting dead in the water. (waiting for some (IMO) overpriced "expert" like you to show up)

Chum lee

I am sorry that you seem think that I infringe on your self-anointed "Expert Status."

You absolutely don't. (infringe on anything I do) You are free to be the biggest rolling a-hole you want. I won't hire you, I'm not impressed by you, I won't recommend you, nor am I intimidated by you. I call 'em like I see 'em. So, . . . have you ever taken a 3/4" drive pneumatic impact gun hooked up to a 6 gallon pancake style compressor and tried to remove some lug nuts/bolts @ 650 ft-lbs of torque? That's a rhetorical question. (which you needn't answer) I already know the answer.

Chum lee

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

Oh, . . . come on. Please stop it. I'm not saying that owning something like a Dewalt/PorterCable 6 gallon 120 volt pancake compressor (no affiliation) is the most efficient, production line industrial/commercial way to live your life. THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M/WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE. Granted, when using a pancake style compressor, you may have to pause briefly to recharge the tank (to 165 psi) after breaking a few oyer-torqued lug bolts/nuts (maybe 650 ft-lbs in this case) but it WILL get them off so that you can, . . . git-er-done in an emergency situation rather than sitting dead in the water. (waiting for some (IMO) overpriced "expert" like you to show up)

Chum lee

I am sorry that you seem think that I infringe on your self-anointed "Expert Status."

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
GREGORYJ wrote:
A torque multiplier works well to remove 22.5" wheel lug nuts with the 450lb. torgue specs, but you should use a torque wench when installing them as you can't install them accuracy to 450lb with the multiplier.

I think a lot depends on the multiplier. My trucks with hub-piloted wheels I carried a old Blue Point 4-1 and Harbor Freight half inch torque wrench. Would set the wrench to click at 120. Extension and friction in the multiplier would be closer than the torque sticks used at the tire shop.

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
A torque multiplier works well to remove 22.5" wheel lug nuts with the 450lb. torgue specs, but you should use a torque wench when installing them as you can't install them accuracy to 450lb with the multiplier.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a simple torque multiplier kit that easily removes my 450# lug nuts, look at Amazon. The kit I have was under $100, has one inch drive with several sockets and packs up in a small case. It has a hand crank that turns 58 to1 ratio. The unit is rated up to about 3500 ft lbs of torque. You do need to use a normal rated torque wrench to tighten the nuts.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee

To start, when I was working, as soon as I got a truck with Budd wheels to remove a wheel I went with inch drive, long anvil impact.
A big electric, or air gun with a small compressor might help if you need to get nuts off. But when the topic is re-torqueing lugnuts I would think the idea would be to get the torque right, not "quarter turn past as far as it will go with a 6 foot cheater"

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
Whenever anyone (well, . . . besides myself) touches the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc., on ANY vehicle I own, drive, etc.,
I ALWAYS check/retorque at least a few of the lug nuts/bolts before I leave visual range of the shop that just worked on it. I don't enjoy getting stuck with a flat tire, at night, while it's raining/pouring in the middle of nowhere with a lug nut/bolt that was torqued to 450 ft-lbs and now I CAN'T GET IT OFF with the tools I have. The factory spec on the MH is 150 ft-lbs.

Chum lee

Factory specs on ours is 450#. My biggest torque wrench only goes to 300#. Might be time,for a torque multiplier.

Wow! 450 ft-lbs. That's a lot. (well beyond the capability of mortal men) A torque multiplier is a good idea. If I was driving your vehicle (no, I'm not giving advice here) I would consider investing in a 120 volt pancake style compressor and a 3/4" drive heavy duty pneumatic impact gun like they use in the long haul truck stops.

Chum lee

A pancake compressor wouldn't last for one lug bolt, if that.

Oh, . . . come on. Please stop it. I'm not saying that owning something like a Dewalt/PorterCable 6 gallon 120 volt pancake compressor (no affiliation) is the most efficient, production line industrial/commercial way to live your life. THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M/WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE. Granted, when using a pancake style compressor, you may have to pause briefly to recharge the tank (to 165 psi) after breaking a few oyer-torqued lug bolts/nuts (maybe 650 ft-lbs in this case) but it WILL get them off so that you can, . . . git-er-done in an emergency situation rather than sitting dead in the water. (waiting for some (IMO) predatory overpriced "expert" like you to show up)

Chum lee

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Millions of miles on trucks. I always checked the lugs where at right torque every 50 miles or so until they stop moving. Then I put a dot of nail polish where each nut meets wheel. I can tell by looking if any move.
Works good on trailers or any other bolt you worry about.

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
From Harbor Freight
Bauer electric extreme impact gun...1050 #โ€™s
Incredible amount of torque, itโ€™s what I carry. $99
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
Whenever anyone (well, . . . besides myself) touches the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc., on ANY vehicle I own, drive, etc.,
I ALWAYS check/retorque at least a few of the lug nuts/bolts before I leave visual range of the shop that just worked on it. I don't enjoy getting stuck with a flat tire, at night, while it's raining/pouring in the middle of nowhere with a lug nut/bolt that was torqued to 450 ft-lbs and now I CAN'T GET IT OFF with the tools I have. The factory spec on the MH is 150 ft-lbs.

Chum lee

Factory specs on ours is 450#. My biggest torque wrench only goes to 300#. Might be time,for a torque multiplier.

Wow! 450 ft-lbs. That's a lot. (well beyond the capability of mortal men) A torque multiplier is a good idea. If I was driving your vehicle (no, I'm not giving advice here) I would consider investing in a 120 volt pancake style compressor and a 3/4" drive heavy duty pneumatic impact gun like they use in the long haul truck stops.

Chum lee

A pancake compressor wouldn't last for one lug bolt, if that.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee

Chum lee

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replies and info. Had the lug nuts all retorqued, everything is good. Taking her in after I reload everything and getting the front and rear weights and the setting the correct psi.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RV is on a light chassis with 19.5" wheels with a torque spec of 150 ft. lbs. so easy for me to check and correct. Usually the lugs are excessively over tighten and I need a cheater bar to get the off and reset to correct torque. I check anytime someone other than myself removes a tire.

The daily driver I also check so I know I can loosen the nuts on the side of the road with the tools that came with the car. Again most of the time they are over torqued and would be very difficult to get off to fix a flat without assistance.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Bruce_Brown
Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee

Factory specs on ours is 450#. My biggest torque wrench only goes to 300#.

Might be time,for a torque multiplier.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910