cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Totalled RV

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
The hurricane has gone and the fallout continues. Michael dropped a pine tree on the back of our old RV and it's almost certainly totaled. Anybody been through the process of settling with insurance? How did your process unfold?
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief
9 REPLIES 9

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Michael flung something at my MH and hit the top of the ladder. It bent the ladder up, broke it loose from the top attachment brackets and then whatever it was bounced against the edge of roof as it went on down the road. I made lots of pictures and then wrapped and covered roof area with heavy duty garbage bag to prevent water from getting in around bracket.

Sent lots of pictures to dealer in ATL area, that I bought MH (used) from in May. That dealer has body shop and sent me an estimate within 24 hours based on my pictures. Called GEICO that night, adjuster came out the next day. Looked a MH briefly, but didn't climb on top. Not sure he trusted my extension ladder, and he didn't have one because he was vehicle adjustor. He took my estimate from dealer, added for taillight that I had missed had bad seal and cut me a check on the spot. Gave me a form to provide to shop for them to contact if the damage was more than what I had been paid for.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Our Toy Hauler got totalled last year in Irma. Ours was a little different as one of the Hatches on the Roof Blew off and allowed water to flood the Galley and Dining area to flood.

As soon as I could get to it, I took a bunch of pictures showing the standing water in the heater vents and also boxes that were on the floor of the slide that were socked half way up.

My Insurance Company (SafeCo) told me to go to a RV Repair facility and get a quote. I decided to go to the Independent Dealership where I purchased if several years earlier. They estimated the cost to be real close to what I thought was the value.

When I met the Adjuster, I was lucky as he knew a little about RV's and understood how much work would be involved to properly repair my rig. We both mentioned the worry about have mold after the repairs were done. He also made a list of anything that was not standard equipment and also anything that I had added to the rig.

Long Story short, I was shocked when I was told how much I would be receiving.

All in all it was pretty painless and I could not be happier with our I was treated.

One thing to remember is, these companies know what weather came through your area and should (key word is should) be reasonable to deal with.

I hope the process goes smoothly for you.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My 02. Just like a car be prepared to discuss FMV. Do some research as values can be all over the place. Be prepared to show the adjuster examples of similar rigs that have higher values than he/she proposes.
Kevin

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Call your Ins Company, they will walk you through the process;

Some companies have on-line claims process;

My last claim was totally painless, timely (< 2 weeks from start to finish) and no
negative aspects.

My only advice - don't get snotty with the person you're dealing with, this
will just annoy them and raise your blood pressure; Both of you are there to solve
a problem and there has to be compromise from both parties; I had a friend who
got snotty with the adjuster/ins company - it took 9 months to close the claim.....
Gerry

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are there anymore big trees left?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Call your insurance agent he will walk you through it.
Should be pretty straight forward, but might take awhile because of all the other claims form the storm.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 40' coach stolen out of the storage lot. They hotwired it and drove it right thru the locked gate. I called the insurance company and filed a police report. AAA called and we negotiated the value of the coach as well as the stuff inside. I did have to produce sales papers from our purchase and document everything I had done to improve it. When all was said and done it took about 2 weeks to agree to everything and they issued me a check. A week later the Sheriff's office called to say they recovered my coach, but it had suffered a lot of body damage. I told them the coach belonged to AAA....:)....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
You contact your carrier and file a claim. Normal comprehensive practices still apply to an RV.

But, if it's a total loss, the type of loss coverage you have will dictate what happens next. So if you suspect it is a total loss, you need to look at your policy and see what type of loss coverage you purchased with your policy. The typical three are Market, Declared or Replacement value.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours wasn't totaled, but very straight forward. Called them up, told them what happened, they asked where we wanted to take it, we told them, they said fine, the repair place sent them an estimate in a week, the insurance said fine, it was fixed, the bill was paid, it was very easy. Of course, we do have everything insured through State Farm. They like our business.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.