cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tranny service

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Below listed rig. 27K miles. When should I start thinking about servicing the transmission and radiator? We tow our JKUR almost everytime.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
8 REPLIES 8

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
At 27kI would just change the fluid. there should already be a drain plug in the pan. then at 50k do a complete service with the filter. I do my Excursion V-10 trans every 25k miles with trans filter every 50k. the coolant I do at 50k mile intervals.

There is nothing wrong with doing maint. earlier than the manuf. recommends. Don't forget about brake fluid as its going on 9 years at this point! that wont be in the owners manual, but is a very good thing to do.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Trouble I'm gonna have is finding a place I can fit into with the MH. I've done transmission services before on my vehicles, just hate the mess. Is this pretty much the same? Drop the pan, replace the filter(s), clean the pan and magnet, reinstall and refill? I'd imagine the overcharge on something like this would be huge.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
suggest you follow ford's recommended service. it'll be in your owner's manual or you can likely find it online.

Recommend service for severe duty !

Stick with the recommended Motorcraft ATF. Don't worry about doing a 100% flush. Simply replacing the fluid in the pan should be sufficient.

One thing you might consider doing the first time is having a drain plug installed. Then, in the future, draining the pan is easy.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think of it in this light - A manufacture will recommended a maintenance interval that is the minimum necessary to ensure continuous reliable service. Doing maintenance early may not be necessary but doesn't hurt other than to your coach maintenance budget.

For my model year, 2006, the recommended interval is 30K miles. The owners manual or schedule maintenance guide will provide the recommended interval and it will change. What was recommended in 2006 could be different for 2010 so check.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you bought the rig new, I would follow the manufacturers guidelines.
If you bought it used, I would consider doing it now, even with only 27000 miles. Then you know when it was done and it was done right.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
5 years or 60,000 miles which ever comes first.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
suggest you follow ford's recommended service. it'll be in your owner's manual or you can likely find it online.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Follow manufacturerโ€™s recommendations IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad