cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission service price

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 Damon Challenger on the F53 chassis is due for a transmission service. I am capable of taking care of it, but not looking forward to the mess. I called the local Ford dealer here and they quoted me $329 to drop the pan and replace or clean the screen. Sounds like a reasonable price. I'd imagine I'll spend a good amount on the fluid itself.

Are there filters in the trans? This screen I was told about, is this a filter?
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
12 REPLIES 12

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2006 f53 I believe it has an external filter on it in a canister
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or tap into the color line.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
RJL wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
It should have a drain plug in the pan. What I do is change the fluid every 25k miles and the filter and fluid every 50k. So basically fluid every 25k then the filter skips a change. With the drain plug there is zero mess.
How many miles on the trans?

32,000 on the trans. We tow our Jeep though and have done many 2500 miles trips towing it. It's time, I think to change out everything.

No problem. I agree to change it all. I also tow my Explorer. I work it hard, so keeping he fluid fresh is the simplest thing you can do. I just wish I could monitor the trans temp other than the dash gauge. I could on my Excursion, but my monitor doesn't give you that PID on a 2011 chassis.

Get a scan guage.... allows you to monitor many parameters, including tranny temp. I had one on my f-53 based MH.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJL wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
It should have a drain plug in the pan. What I do is change the fluid every 25k miles and the filter and fluid every 50k. So basically fluid every 25k then the filter skips a change. With the drain plug there is zero mess.

32,000 on the trans. We tow our Jeep though and have done many 2500 miles trips towing it. It's time, I think to change out everything.

No problem. I agree to change it all. I also tow my Explorer. I work it hard, so keeping he fluid fresh is the simplest thing you can do. I just wish I could monitor the trans temp other than the dash gauge. I could on my Excursion, but my monitor doesn't give you that PID on a 2011 chassis.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Exceptional price, enblethen.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I get my 4L80 done at transmission shop done for right at $120! That is parts and labor!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
$120-150.00 in parts/fluid. $180-210 in labor. Hmmmm. It's a toss up.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is link to Wix transmission filter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think you might find that the filter is a filter and it gets replace as a unit. It does not get cleaned. You could ask for it so they will keep it. Don't think you will find that its made of brass.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, it is a very fine brass screen designed to catch any particles that may be in the transmission. Tell the mechanic that you want him to save/document any particles that he finds to foretell any future issues.