cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tv problem

prento
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all I am changing the tv in the bedroom for one with a larger screen, the old one runs absolutely fine it has a power lead and ariel that goes in the ant socket (see photo)I have taken the Ariel out of the old tv and put it in the new tv (the one standing up)ant socket but have no picture,I’ve been through all the tv settings but had no luck,the picture comes from the front tv that works fine on the sky sat dish,anybody got some ideas
11 REPLIES 11

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Terminology is a little different over here. By aerial are you referring to
an antenna, which is what we use to receive regular tv stations?

I suppose an oyster dish and sky box is a satellite system.
This rear tv, is it hooked to the satellite or to an antenna?

I keep a length of coax cable ( 50 ft ) which we can purchase at Wal-mart.
If you temporarily substitute a long coax by just running it along the
floor to see if it cures the snowy picture.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A snowy picture can be from a poor cable connection. Perhaps there is a way to hook up a jumper coax cable directly from the antenna to the TV to see if that gives a clear picture. If it does, than the problem exists in your old coax cable from the antenna to the TV.

prento
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks all for your inputs I’ve now sorted it out by running “first time start up scan”BUT now still got problems with the new tv snowy picture that I had with the last tv thinking it’s old and knackered,
I run off a oyster dish on the roof through a sky hd box the front tv is absolutely fine and clear as was the old rear one but now gone all snowy,I’ve checked the Ariel cable and settings,any ideas?would a booster cure it?is there something with the United Kingdom signal?

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ariel was a Disney Princess and an angel in Hebrew. Now, an aerial is the thingy on the roof which brings in TV stations. Sounds like you need to change the princess to an antenna....:B..... Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We did have a dish box in our TT. It was a long time ago but we ran a coax from the coax out of the dish box to the rear TV and the HDMI to the front TV. When we scanned the rear TV cable or digital or something I don't remember, but it would find one station. We changed the station on the dish box and it would change on both TVs.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
prento wrote:
Hi all I am changing the tv in the bedroom for one with a larger screen, the old one runs absolutely fine it has a power lead and ariel that goes in the ant socket (see photo)I have taken the Ariel out of the old tv and put it in the new tv (the one standing up)ant socket but have no picture,I’ve been through all the tv settings but had no luck,the picture comes from the front tv that works fine on the sky sat dish,anybody got some ideas

Some confusing info here. The picture (for OTA....ariel) does not come from the front TV but rather from a splitter from you OTA TV antenna. You also mention "sky sat dish" which we do not have enough information to address.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The TV in question and thus I suspect the original poster is a British Model..

I often comment that we here in the good old USA do not speak English.
We speak American English. They are different.

And you have discovered, in this thread, one of the differences.

Ariel = Antenna in (Coax in on most TV's)

To the O/P I don't know about your side of the pond (Atlantic Ocean) but often those connectors are crimped on and not very well. if the connector has slipped a bit or if the center wire is cut too short connection may NOT have been made.

Unscrew and remove the cable from the ariel connection the as you push it back on feel for the center wire to make contact. there will be an increase in resistance If you do not feel the added resistance re-dress the cable (remove connector and replace) making sure you cut the center lead about 1/8" longer
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fishingbob61 wrote:
Did you do a scan on the new TV ?

Bob

Bingo, For "Ariel" also is called OTA (over the Air) you HAVE to do a channel scan for available Channels. You CANNOT just attempt to input lets say Channel 04(4.1 digital) and get that channel. The TV MUST have scanned and loaded that channel into its memory. Now, if you get NO Pic or display at all, just a blank screen and you cannot even display the set up screen, that would point to a defective TV. BUT, you MUST be in the OTA (air/antenna) input to get the MENU set up screen. IF the TV is set to HDMI 1, HDMI 2 or any other input, the MENU set up screen will not come up. So, on the remote with TV ON, try to select the AIR/Antenna input and see if it displays a screen. Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The old TV and feed may be through a coax cable. The new TV may require an HDMI feed. Check to make sure that your new TV inputs are set up right.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
fishingbob61 wrote:
After first changing the TV input to the antenna and turning on the antenna power amp if so equipped?

No photo. Do you have 2 input from sat and antenna and are they in the right connectors?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer

Bob
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP