cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two-wheel down car caddy .... can I tow with rear wheels up?

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if I could back my Mercedes up on the car caddy backwards since this vehicle is automatic and leave front wheels on pavement? I know I've seen some vehicles on the highway being towed this way, but, obviously don't want to damage anything. My front-wheel drive Solara is unavailable which is what I usually tow. As long as steering is locked, I don't really see a reason I couldn't tow it down the highway this way....but, smarter folks on this board may know if I'm overlooking something. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ouch.....apparently I can't even use this vehicle as thought. Manual didn't like towing this way (but didn't mention manual transmission at all in the manual, so, guessing it's also not recommended). Ok, thanks, will just wait on the Solara to be fixed.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check your Owners Manual or Remco Towing. Not All Manual Transmissions can be Flat Towed.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Not sure if I could back my Mercedes up on the car caddy backwards since this vehicle is automatic and leave front wheels on pavement? I know I've seen some vehicles on the highway being towed this way, but, obviously don't want to damage anything. My front-wheel drive Solara is unavailable which is what I usually tow. As long as steering is locked, I don't really see a reason I couldn't tow it down the highway this way....but, smarter folks on this board may know if I'm overlooking something. Thanks!

Have a Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect installed than you can flat tow..

I have one and it works great no issues...

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Matt speaks the truth....

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Always better to check with your owner's manual or manufacturer for the best answer.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Apraisr,

Don't could on the 6-speed being towable. Many modern manual transmissions count on the input shaft turning to pass the gear oil up the train. Find out whose transmission it really is. And if you really have to do this, over fill the transmission so that there is too much lube oil for anything to not have enough.

Matt - a refugee for OE labs of Detroit
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got a 1995 Z28 Camaro with 6-speed tranny so I'll just use that and will eliminate damage to my SL500 which is rear-wheel drive. Thanks all!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consult with the manufacturer. Don’t rely on guesses.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What does the manufacturer of your tow dolly say about backwards towing?
Do they recommend it?

You may want to check, is the steering wheel lock is strong enough to hold the wheels straight or if you also need to strap the steering wheel in position.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
If it's front wheel drive, probably not. But your owner's manual should have the final say. :h
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Googled some info, and, doesn't sound like this is a "smart" thing to do unless extreme emergency......will just make other arrangements!