cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical price for Class A tire mounting and balance

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometime this year, I need to get new tires for our motorhome. I have Michelin tires right now, but I'd like to go to Toyo tires. I have found some places online to get the tires but am curious what the typical price is for mounting and balancing per tire is. I called Gator Ford today and they only sell Michelin and they quoted me $7100 for tires and installation (not going to happen)! I asked if they would mount tires that I purchased and they said yes for $250 per tire (mounting and balance). I thought that was crazy expensive but I have not had to purchase Class A tires before.

Motorhometires.com quoted me around $3600 for Toyo M154 tires. They send a mobile installation tech to your location and that included mounting and balancing. That seems reasonable to me.

I am in the Tampabay area if anyone could recommend any other tire places around here.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
16 REPLIES 16

DaveRVman
Explorer
Explorer
allbrandauto wrote:
I just did my tires second set of toyos 245/75/22.5 6 tires ran me 340 each bought tools to do it on amazon balanced with beads takes two people to do it but it can be done total investment 2400 dollars called motorhome tires they were 3800 plenty of videos to help you

Did you get one of those mayflower changers?

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
I just did my tires second set of toyos 245/75/22.5 6 tires ran me 340 each bought tools to do it on amazon balanced with beads takes two people to do it but it can be done total investment 2400 dollars called motorhome tires they were 3800 plenty of videos to help you

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
When I've had to change my tires on the DP, I've waited until I was in a state that didn't have a sales tax. It will save you several hundred dollars.

Bill

If your primary residence is in a state that DOES have sales tax. Then you just admitted to tax fraud...

You are incorrect. Period. But then, I also do live in Alaska with no sales tax, but that doesn't matter.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
oldave wrote:
They did have Yokohamas for $1451, that's pretty close in price.

I haven't called them yet but one of the local tire places here says they are a direct dealers of Yokohamas. I don't know much about Yokohamas but I haven't found any in the size I need (which I believe is 245/70r22.5) as a replacement size for the Michelin 235/80/r22.5

I ran Yokohama tires on my pu but not on the MOHO. However, some owners have used them and liked them over on this site.

https://www.monacoers.org/discover/?&before=1681843917&latest=1681828836

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
oldave wrote:
They did have Yokohamas for $1451, that's pretty close in price.

I haven't called them yet but one of the local tire places here says they are a direct dealers of Yokohamas. I don't know much about Yokohamas but I haven't found any in the size I need (which I believe is 245/70r22.5) as a replacement size for the Michelin 235/80/r22.5

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I got a quote yesterday on a couple of 295/80/R22.5 Toyos M144 x 16 ply at Southern Tire Mart for $1398.61 total. Problem was, no tires. They did have Yokohamas for $1451, that's pretty close in price.
Quite a bit of that was charges in addition to the $499 per tire.
For instance
$45 for mounting
$7.95 valve stem
$2.50 flow thru valve cap
$45 balancing
$10 disposal
$10 other ?
$41 FET
$46 sales tax

That's about $120 per tire not counting tax. I sold my take-offs for $100 each.
If you're able-bodied those big tires are not that hard to do, actually, they're easier than small tires to dismount & remount on the wheel. If I was younger, I'm
82, I'd do my own, and I still might. The savings would buy Centramatics for balancing or just throw in some balance beads. You would still have money for
whatever. Buy tire irons at Harbor Freight or other tool stores.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
MetalGator wrote:
snip...... I have a fairly long trip the end of May and once I get back, I will replace the tires.

That makes no sense at all. In your use case the tires are going to run out of life before they run out of miles.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm also in the Tampa area and when I needed tires a couple years ago, I went with NTCS. You have to pay a small one time fee to join... its good for ever and applies to any vehicle you may have. They , by far, had the best price on tires and arranged to have installation at a place of your choosing. When you get the tires, you are billed directly by Michelin... not NTCS or the tire place. NTCS website
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I looked up tires on tirerack.com and they only have Michelins. When I put in the 245/70R22.5 size, they listed no ties. I found Toyo tires on a couple other websites for a decent price but it was over $500 to ship.

I looked at motorhometires.com and they could install the same Michelin's for $5358 or Toyo M154 tires for $3699 and they will come to the house to install.

There is a local truck tire place that I am going to call and see if I can get tires cheaper. I see many people are paying around $2500 for tires and mounting but haven't been able to find that kind of price yet.

Speaking of Michelins, my tire size is 235/80R22.5 Only Michelin seems to make that size tire and in my research it looks like 245/70/R22.5 is a tire that would fit on my rims. That is the tire size that shows when I look at Toyos. Is this size a direct replacement for the 235/80R22.5 Michelin's?

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
...I have Michelin tires right now, but I'd like to go to Toyo tires...

That's exactly what I did. My Michelins were not old, low mileage, covered when not in use....and cracked...over rated and over priced.
2014 American Eagle

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sandia Man wrote:
I see you have a 2018 motorhome, are the Michelin tires worn out or exhibiting sidewall cracking.

My Michelin's look brand new. They have 23,000 miles on them. The motorhome is kept indoors in a garage so the only time the ties are exposed to the elements are when we are using the motorhome.

We purchased the motorhome new on June 9th, 2017 so the tires have been on the motorhome almost 6 years old. I haven't looked at the build date on the tires but my guess is the tires are almost 7 years old. I have a fairly long trip the end of May and once I get back, I will replace the tires.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
When I've had to change my tires on the DP, I've waited until I was in a state that didn't have a sales tax. It will save you several hundred dollars.

Bill

If your primary residence is in a state that DOES have sales tax. Then you just admitted to tax fraud...

Now since I do not work for the Treasury department that's all I'm going to say about it.. Other than you are obligated to report the purchase to your home state and pay what is called USE tax.. Same as Sales tax but for purchases made out of state where you don't pay sales tax.

I do know of cases where people have gone to an event and made purchases to be shipped, in order to avoid sales tax.. and gotten a knock on the door from the tax man.. In fact I attended a couple of those events (just did not buy anything other than hot dogs).

Now to the OP.... Based on the price I paid some years ago.. That sound about right.. And I do like Toyo tires as replacements.

At the time I bought mine that was the price for Mitchelins.. NOT mounted.. Toyos were cheaper by a few thousand after mounting and balancing... So with inflation That sounds about right.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see you have a 2018 motorhome, are the Michelin tires worn out or exhibiting sidewall cracking. I mention this because the original owners of our class A said that after 5 years they had to change out factory mounted Michelin 22.5" tires for excessive sidewall cracking although tires had just 15K miles. They also put on Toyo M154 tires and no cracking visible after 8 years, they still rode smooth and quiet.

Just over a year ago we paid about the same as above poster Yankee Clipper, our 22.5 inch Toyo M154 tires were $360 each and $50 to mount and balance. I shopped around online and from motorhometires.com, they were all much higher than local offerings. I could not readily source tires for our 40' motorhome locally although many tire stores claimed to, finally asked a local mobile RV tech, I would imagine Tampa Bay or nearby regions will have a few.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I paid $2500 for mount, balance, new valve stems and out the door for 22.5 Hankooks on my DP.....Local mount and balance for tires I bought from discount tire direct for my F-350 was $15.00 per tire mount balance and new valve stem.