https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZotLkM6kCprK9s5S9

Inlet Attachement: Quick Connect
Inlet Size: 5/16 "
Item Grade: Standard Replacement
Maximum Amperage (A): 5.0
Maximum Free Flow Rate (gph): 28.0
Outlet Attachment: Quick Connect
Outlet Size: 5/16 "
Package Contents: Electric Fuel Pump, Terminal Hardware, Extra Fitting, Seal, (2) Retaining Clips, (2) Splices, Instruction Sheet
Product Condition: New
Pump Location: External
Pump Type: Electric
Relief Pressure (psi): 99.0
Strainer Included: No
Voltage Rating: 12 vDC
Wiring Harness Included: No
Working Pressure (psi): 44.0

RELATED ITEMS
REPAIR GUIDES

Repair Guides for your Vehicle See Details

hope to install this this Sat

$84.xx plus Tax
order online pickup in store..same day

got it from autozone, several other places have it online for less $$
but nobody was closer or faster
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s
33 REPLIES 33

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
My 1990 E350 EFI 460 Class C has two fuel pumps - one in the tank, and a high pressure pump that feeds the engine.

Both of these are on the inertial switch circuit. This is so that in a crash, the fuel pump does not continue to pump out gasoline through potentially ruptured fuel lines and cause a fire hazard.

Hopefully you wired your new pump into that same circuit. Otherwise you may have a safety problem in a crash.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

MrWizard
think i might have to add a heat shield for the pump
the exhaust pipe coming off the 'Y' might be too close to the pump , 4-5 feet ?
got to take another look, but i think it is on the passenger side of the drive shaft
days like the last few, near or at 100* F, i have experienced some power lag (like failing pump)
when stopped for a few minutes with engine idling

i think this is akin to 'vapor lock' except in the pump, because of too hot and not enough fuel flow too keep pump cool

engine returns to normal operation after a couple of minutes of driving
but that first take off ( after long idle) must be slow and easy, when this happens or the motor falls flat with NO OOMPH
remember i mounted far forward at the fuel filter, NOT in the rear near the fuel tank, this way i did not have to cut the Ford OEM fuel line to install the pump

has Not happen at lower ambient air temperature
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance on that parts list? Thanks.

MrWizard
that walbro fuel pump is for INSIDE the fuel tank

The Walbro TU205 OE Replacement Fuel Pump Kit. This kit is rated to operate at 12 volts and has a minimum flow of 124 liters per hour against a normal operating pressure of 45 psi. This fuel pump is typically located In-Tank.

nice pump

but i did not want to drop the tank,
that is the whole idea of this thread, how to stay running with an external fuel pump install while NOT cutting any OEM fuel lines
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Reviews on Amazon are not very good.

Also, be careful. If your chassis has "returnless" fuel, the fuel pump control module will cause the pump to run hot.

its been many years since i have seen a factory production gasoline vehicle that was 'returnless', i think my 92 pace arrow 454 even had a return line

i know i saw a line on this one, that looked to be a return line

its all part of the fuel economy and smog regulations
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Walbro
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Reviews on Amazon are not very good.

Check out Walbro inline fuel pumps

Also, be careful. If your chassis has "returnless" fuel, the fuel pump control module will cause the pump to run hot.
which of those Walbro's is for the F-53?

Edit: Nevermind. I found the cross-reference chart.

MrWizard
i think mine is on the floor between the steering column and the dog house
but i will look again
no drivers door hard spot to get out of, once i'm squeezed in there
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same job at one time. You have done well.
The only recommend I have is to use a relay coil to crash switch n/o to fuel pump. The crash switch needs to disable the 40 psi fuel pump in case of crash. It is located on the steering column.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
My fuel pump went out and I used an ATV lift to bring down and raise the new tank. What happened is when I went to undo the bolts to remove the pump, every one of them snapped off which mandated a new tank. The guy I bought the tank from said that bolts snapping off is the single biggest problem with replacing the in tank pumps. You may have dodged an expensive bullet by not pulling the tank.
Ford tech warned me a while ago about the bolts said to make sure and pre-soak and turn forward/backward in small amounts.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Mine was designed so the back jacks were in the way of one of the straps. That sucked.
My HWH jacks are like that. I can't even see how they tightened some of the nuts. Any tips on how you handled this?

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
My fuel pump went out and I used an ATV lift to bring down and raise the new tank. What happened is when I went to undo the bolts to remove the pump, every one of them snapped off which mandated a new tank. The guy I bought the tank from said that bolts snapping off is the single biggest problem with replacing the in tank pumps. You may have dodged an expensive bullet by not pulling the tank.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

MrWizard
In the battery control center, I found an unused dash fan connection with 15 amp fuse, powered only with key in the on position
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for reposting pic, pic worth a thousand words. Where did you tie your wires into ?