Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Have you upgraded your V-10 with a turbo? If so,

1. What was the cost of the system?
2. what was the installation charge?
3. How much time did the work take?

and then...

How was your gas mileage affected? Better, no change, worse?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
26 REPLIES 26

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering the Banks system. I see the 5 star tuner is illegal in the People's Republic of California. Just as a matter of discussion, if the 5 star tuner is installed, could it be removed for the smog testing and would it not permanently cause a smog test failure or would it revert to factory tune?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or upgrade to a diesel. They have a turbo and inter-cooler already.

I agree that adding a turbocharger without other modifications is going add heat to your engine which is one of the main reason engines fail.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I would not add a turbo as a stand alone mod. The exhaust manifold on the V-10 is iffy to begin with, adding more fuel males it hotter and will likely cause exhaust manifold studs, particularly the rear ones to fail quicker . Add a turbo to a Banks header system, lots of money but would have a better chance of success.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Preacher_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the tuner and a 5 Star tune for our 2nd production unit, 2007 Four Winds, old Cruise America unit. Made a significant difference in fuel mileage and towing ability.
Mark Walter
J-Angel Productions
Web and Media Company
2004 Sportscoach LE 376 DS
Cat 3126E, Allison 3000

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
There was a guy on Ford Truck Enthusiasts. He did a home made turbo setup. Thatโ€™s the only way you are going to get a turbo installed. However you are also going to have to do something with the trans. Stock.....it will not do good with the power.

With that said, a 5 star tune will really wake up a V-10. And depending on the gears that may be another place to put the money into.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Look at Banks Power Systems. Increased power significantly on our previous 2004 V10 with 2 valves.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Ford V-10 but this looks like fun. Ignore the stodgy old frats asking why.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
My previous rv was a 2000 37g Winnebago. The v10 didnt have any trouble hauling around almost 38 ft of motorhome. It was no speed demon, but considering you are driving a rv, that didnt matter to me. It had plenty of power to get the job done. I can imagine in a smaller rv, it would plenty of get up and go.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might help give you more power at high altitudes but in most of the country it is a waste of money.
As an old hot rodder, anything added to increase power results in much LESS fuel mileage because your right foot gets heavier just to see what that power can do. :B

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there are any prepackaged turbo kits for the V10, particularly in a motorhome chassis (where the configuration of the space for and access to the engine might vary with different doghouse designs).

Gas mileage will not increase by adding a turbo; a turbo just lets you burn more gas to get more power. Cars and pickups that get, or at least claim to get, better gas mileage with turbo engines do so by replacing a larger engine with a smaller turbocharged engine. For light duty, which is often most driving in a car, the turbo is basically idle and the smaller engine gives better mileage; but when more power is desired, it is available. For a motorhome, much of the driving is not exactly light duty/low power, and in any case you wouldn't be replacing the V10 with a turbo V6 or something.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
On the older (2005 and before), the turbo addition was a good thing. With the new (after 2005, its wasted money. Mine has never failed to get us and the toad where we wanted to go.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Why adding a turbo?

I have a 32 ft and that V10 takes on anything I have ever asked her to do with power to spare including towing a toad. just saying IMHO

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.