cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used Daymon Daybreak

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Currently thinking about buying a used Class A for cash and getting rid of the truck and trailer payments.

I am looking at a 1998 Daymon Daybreak 3270 with the Ford 460 with about 40k miles.

Downside is that the coach only has one 15k AC unit, will this be sufficient? I know my 15k BTU unit struggles with my 36 ft trailer (but it has 3 slides vs the 1 slide in the motorhome).

Unit has all new tires and looks like it has been well maintained.

Question is - other than the roof what items do I need to look closer at? Anything specific to the Damon that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP
9 REPLIES 9

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2-13,500 BTU A/C units in the Sahara and we rarely use the back one. I usually run the front one and use a fan to blow cool air into the bedroom at night. Then again, we never go to the desert, but we've been in 90ยฐ weather and one A/C seemed to keep up.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Watt's law is power equals volts times current. Therefore, 5000 watts divided by 120 volts equals over 40 amps from generator. The system is probably set up as 30 amp though.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
fx2tom wrote:
Sounds like I need to look further at the coach and see if, maybe, I can tell if it is prewired for the 2nd AC unit. It has a 5kw Onan gen, would that likely indicate a 50 AMP set up? Or, am I wrong on that?

I check my neighbor and his 5000 watt is only 25 amps. My other neighbor has a 5500 and his is 30 amps. Maybe Doug will ring in. He will know for sure.

Jabrad_s_Papa
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 Daybreak. One thing to look for, if it has hydraulic jacks is to check the lines running from the pump to the jacks. Make sure they are strapped away from the engine. They had a recall on this for mine and it could be a major fire issue.
I see your in Ca. If you travel in central Ca it could get warm in the summer. I don't get much help from the dash a/c.
I have the 5kw onan and it has 50 amp.

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet on a 30 amp set up. Even at 37ft, we rarely need more than one ac unit but at times we do. When we do need the second one, the 30 amp is sufficient.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like I need to look further at the coach and see if, maybe, I can tell if it is prewired for the 2nd AC unit. It has a 5kw Onan gen, would that likely indicate a 50 AMP set up? Or, am I wrong on that?
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Need 2 acs also in 2000 the ford v10 replaced the 460
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
make sure frig and furnace work. thats only couple thousand miles a year might be a real goody.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say you will need two. Our neighbor has a 32 and only one and his is always hot when we travel together.