cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Via 25T Mercedes Diesel

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
I am driving a friends motorhome to NC next week. I picked rv up today and brought it home and was looking at it and I don't see a 1st or 2nd gear to shift to when coming down a steep grade. I sure don't want the brakes to get hot going over the mountain. The mountain I speak of is going from Helen, GA to Hiawassee, GA. I have traveled it many times but not in an motorhome, usually in a dually so I shift down to 2nd coming down the mountain. She is too chicken to drive it up there so I volunteered..lol! Thanks in advance...
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.
11 REPLIES 11

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update, glad to hear all went well!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
The Mercedes based mh are nice.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Success!!! Update on my travels with the motorhome. As a first timer driving the coach it was so easy. I took my time going over the mountain and only dropped it down to 4 from D, rpms never over 3000. Heck, didn't even hold anyone up. Thanks for the advice as I will be doing it again at the end of the season.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm....the mountain does have some 10MPH switch backs. I will take it easy and go just one gear down and watch the rpms. Our dodge dually has only 1 and 2 and that was the reason I go to 2. I will probably be getting a good cussing going slow but that's okay because I won't hear them...lol. Thanks all!

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Watch your rpm when down shifting. Take it one gear at a time. The Sprinter gear shift is very easy to control

On our Sprinter with a 3500# trailer I doubt if we ever went into 2nd gear. Even on the steepest roads in Colorado.

I stayed below 3500 rpm's, but that is the way I operated the vehicle.

In the end keep your speed under control and watch the rpm.

Best.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure you want to go low as 2? You are going to see some pretty high revs there.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea if this applies to your vehicle, but worth a try. I have a Mercedes SUV with the 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel. It does have a very effective exhaust brake which cannot be manually activated. The only time it works is in cruise control. Try setting the cruise while on a grade and adjust the speed down using the stalk control. You will know immediately if it is working.

Also, the transmission logic is very effective at selecting the right gear to keep the revs up.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Is this a floor shift? If so try tapping the shifter left or right.

Thanks, just got back in and once the shifter is in D and then tap to the left and it goes throught 4-1 and back to right and can get it back to D. So I guess I will put it in 2nd going down the mountain. Thanks again for the responses...safe travels!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a floor shift? If so try tapping the shifter left or right.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Ask your friend

I wish my friend knew...she has never driven the coach out on the road. Long story short but her husband can no longer drive it. I did notice a plus by the D but not sure what that means or how to get to that. Guess will need to pull out the manuals...ugh... Thanks...

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your friend
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress