cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wanna bring a golf cart and a Jeep towed

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
We're selling our vacation home in SW Fla and plan on using our Challenger for future vacations of a month to 6 weeks. I'm thinking I might want to buy a golf cart to bring along with my Jeep towed. Is there a way to do this? Maybe something to put the golf cart on and then hook up the Jeep.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
46 REPLIES 46

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:
Me and the DW were starting to lean away from getting a Golf Cart to bring with us in our Gladiator, I think I will do it now just because I CAN! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Will it go in between the wheel wells?
If not they make a half size cart, that should be less weight, as well.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
We're selling our vacation home in SW Fla and plan on using our Challenger for future vacations of a month to 6 weeks. I'm thinking I might want to buy a golf cart to bring along with my Jeep towed. Is there a way to do this? Maybe something to put the golf cart on and then hook up the Jeep.
Are campgrounds that golf cart friendly anymore? I was going to sell the Jeep and do a Gladiator or F150 with a cart because my wife has difficulty walking these days, but a host that has traveled a lot says don't bother as they are mostly restricted now to just the host.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Goddam golf carts.

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Me and the DW were starting to lean away from getting a Golf Cart to bring with us in our Gladiator, I think I will do it now just because I CAN! ๐Ÿ˜‰

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
again look at the 4 tires cricket .it has room for 4 people or 2 with a basket carries 600 lbs you can take the middle out of it ,the top,the rear section.passes as a handicap vehicle steering wheel folds into floor.if your not on the gas it wont roll back super easy to load

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read this thread from the first, since we tow a 4 dr Jeep (2013) It just seems like a lot more trouble to get the golf cart set up to ride on the Jeep or truck or whatever the OP tows than it is worth. Not only does the issue of weight come into play, but the logistics of fitting it safely in/on the bed of whatever it will ride on and then the problem of getting it on there and back down when he wants to use it.
I don't have a dog in the fight but that golf cart must be really important to the OP. More so than it would be to me.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, hohenwald48 is right...our bone stock 2015 JKU hardtop weighed 4520 with about 8 gallons of gas. And that was before the base plate etc.

Gary

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
stvdman wrote:

Time will tell, but just speculating that these things CANT work or WILL happen by guessing isn't really helping.

IMHO, the speculation might alert somebody to a possible problem, cause them to watch closer when the do it. Maybe see the snot coming before it hits the fan...

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Does a 4-seat golf cart have a longer wheelbase? If so, I agree that it wont fit. If the wheelbase is the same, why wouldn't it fit?

And handling issues...well, anytime you add in weight to the bed of a truck you create "handling issues".

This is why you have to find out for yourself at times.

In this thread it was stated the Gladiator cant fit a Golf Cart (can only haul flowers). BUT , it appears a golf cart DOES fit.

Now it will create handling issues. What handling issues? Has someone actually done it and reported issues?

I have read a report from a Gladiator owner that put a 2-seat Polaris Razor in the bed and they backed it in as they thought it sagged the truck too much with it pulled in straight. Other than that, no handling issues reported.

Time will tell, but just speculating that these things CANT work or WILL happen by guessing isn't really helping.

Golf cart fit? YES
4-seat Golf cart fit? TBD
Within weight specs? YES
Handling issues? TBD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:

The owner of the truck stated the tailgate was rated for an evenly spaced load of 1800lbs. seemed kind of high to me.

Cart weighs 900lbs.

From another quick search:

"The three-position damped and power-locking tailgate extends the bed's utility for fun hauling and Home Depot runs as well. Dropping the tailgate stretches the floor to 81.3 inches and its 1,200-pound total distributed load capability can handle heavier long loads, such as a pair of dirt bikes. The tire-tread-patterned icons on the front wall will help you line them up. And to get that load to the tailgate's 35 inches from the ground, the gate will handle 600 pounds with a single ramp and 850 pounds with a pair.
That's a lot of utility in a vehicle with a 1,600-pound maximum payload capacity that still can crawl over rocks and ford 30 inches of water."

Now, add a 4 seat cart and it's too long. I wouldn't want tow that for more than a few hours. All that weight behind the axle is going to create handling issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer

The owner of the truck stated the tailgate was rated for an evenly spaced load of 1800lbs. seemed kind of high to me.

Cart weighs 900lbs.

From another quick search:

"The three-position damped and power-locking tailgate extends the bed's utility for fun hauling and Home Depot runs as well. Dropping the tailgate stretches the floor to 81.3 inches and its 1,200-pound total distributed load capability can handle heavier long loads, such as a pair of dirt bikes. The tire-tread-patterned icons on the front wall will help you line them up. And to get that load to the tailgate's 35 inches from the ground, the gate will handle 600 pounds with a single ramp and 850 pounds with a pair.
That's a lot of utility in a vehicle with a 1,600-pound maximum payload capacity that still can crawl over rocks and ford 30 inches of water."

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
I work at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer and see them quite often. Not much you can do with the bed other than haul some flowers.

Not that I am an advocate for it but:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/club-car-golf-cart-does-fit-in-the-bed-of-the-gladiator.20228/

In that link it has pictures too. Looks to be a little more than just "flowers". ๐Ÿ˜‰

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
What about thisTrailertoad
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 4 door Dodge Dakota with a 5ft bed and a Cricket in it . The tailgate is down and the Cricket sits on 2x6's. The Dodge has air bags and rides level.
Weight is 4780 lbs with full gas tank, just below my 5k hitch limit.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed