cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Issue

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2021 Class C Forest River Forrester 25 Foot Motor Home.

We always connect to city water when we arrive and, in the past have had no issues. Today, while trying to figure out why there was water leaking out of the low point drain, I noted water coming out of the fresh water take. My neighbor says that a check valve is faulty and causing the water to go into the fresh water tank and it and it was overflowing.. We have shut off the city water now and will use the pump to circulate water......but is this an issue that needs the check valve replaced? We are not near our dealer, but are taking the unit to them in about 14 days for other issues, we are at our current location until Sunday. If this is not a major issue I can continue to manage with using the pump and keeping the fresh water tank full.
Same neighbor said that running the filter may free up the check valve, but I am not so sure.

The how point (cold water) is dripping as I cannot get the valve tight enough to stop the dripping...was told I need a hose clamp that you crimp.

Never a dull day in the world of our motor home.
6 REPLIES 6

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest that you simply use campground water to fill your tank, but then turn off (or disconnect) the hose and use only your onboard pump. 1. You never have to worry about the pressure being too high. 2. If there is a leak somewhere in your system, you will be alerted to it by the sound of your pump cycling.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
All was resolved yesterday, disconnected the city water, ran the pump for about 10 minutes. Then hooked up to city water again, this time with a pressure relief valve installed, and it works perfectly. Thank you all.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
All good advice above. Be aware that some campgrounds/campers will create a big fuss if you try to drain that fresh tank onto the ground. Years ago we got thrown out of a campground for just that reason! Cracked open the fresh tank drain and let it dribble out while we took the dogs for a long walk. Came back to a posse of campers screaming. Where we were was experiencing a drought so we figured there might be one green site. The owner said we had to leave immediately. No one wanted to hear that it was potable water. We thought we heard banjos as we were driving out.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simply tapping on the hose connection could loosen up whatever is stopping the check valve from operating properly. If not, they are easy enough to replace (vs paying a kid $75/hr to do).

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check valves sometimes can repair themselves but if not there are many youtube videos that show you how to fix or replace.
P.S. its always a good idea to have a full tank of water in case the campgrounds city water system develops a problem. Its happened to me a couple of times.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with your neighbor that this problem may fix itself. By removing the city water pressure and running the water pump it will flush out the calcium that is stuck in the check valve.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.