Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water leak from fresh water tank

paulooch1958
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I have a 2006 39k Journey. We are full-timers and the rig has been in constant use for about 2 1/2 years.

The last few months it has been leaking from the fresh water tank at a rate of about 1/4 tank per night. Not really a problem since I usually have a full hookup, but I would like to fix it.

As far as I understand, there are two inlets for water: One from the city water inlet via the "fill" valve, and one from a special port for a hose.... and as far as I know, there are two ways for water to get out: via the internal plumbing or via the overfill outlet.

I can see a pretty constant drip-drip-drip under the chassis coming from a pipe that looks to be at the bottom of the water tank. It comes out the rear side and immediately turns 90 down.

Anybody know what this pipe/tube is? Why would it suddenly start leaking? How to fix?
7 REPLIES 7

paulooch1958
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome post!
Thanks, Chris Beierl for all the details!

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the Plumbing Diagram for your coach. Unfortunately, this valve isn't shown very well on the diagrams. The pipe you are referring to is the fresh water tank drain, controlled via a cable operated blade valve. This valve is described on page 88 of the Operator's Manual for your coach.

Here's the Parts Catalog for your coach. You can see the valve on page 262.

Here's a replacement valve for that drain:
Valterra T1001PBC 1-1/2" Valve Body

Here's a replacement seal kit: Valterra T1001-9VP Bladex 1-1/2" Valve Seal with Hardware, (Set of 2)

I just replaced that valve on my 2005 Vectra last year because it developed a leak--I initially replaced just the seals, but ended up replacing the entire valve because I still had a leak (so now I have the spare seals available for next time). On my coach access was straightforward from underneath, after removing the insulated sheet metal panel from under the water tank. (I made some large wooden ramps/blocks to drive the front of the coach up onto to give me adequate height to work safely underneath without danger.)
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
wrgrs50s wrote:
Sounds like the pipe your referring to is your overflow tube for your freshwater tank.

It's possible that your City water fill valve may be malfunctioning and allowing a small amount of water to bypass into your freshwater tank overfilling slowly to the point of it seeping out the overflow. Also, the check valve built in to your water pump can go bad and allow water back into your FW tank when on city water. The best way to tell if either of these is your problem is to totally drain your Fresh tank and then monitor your guages when connected to city water and see if the tank is slowly rising, or just leave the valve open to your freswater drain and watch for a slow drip while connected to city water. Both ways will verify you have water feeding back while on city water.

The way I read the OP he is having trouble with water leaking OUT of the FW tank. Not water leaking IN to the FW tank. Am I reading it wrong?

I don't have your particular model motorhome and I am not specifically familiar with it but it does sound like a failed or open tank drain valve to me. Possibly the fitting where the tank drain is connected to the tank.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

paulooch1958
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips!

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the pipe your referring to is your overflow tube for your freshwater tank.

It's possible that your City water fill valve may be malfunctioning and allowing a small amount of water to bypass into your freshwater tank overfilling slowly to the point of it seeping out the overflow. Also, the check valve built in to your water pump can go bad and allow water back into your FW tank when on city water. The best way to tell if either of these is your problem is to totally drain your Fresh tank and then monitor your guages when connected to city water and see if the tank is slowly rising, or just leave the valve open to your freswater drain and watch for a slow drip while connected to city water. Both ways will verify you have water feeding back while on city water.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had good luck fixing leaks in plastic tanks with Shoe Goo. Not much will chemically bond to ABS type plastics but if you rough up the surface around the crack and dry the area well you can get a good mechanical bond to the plastic tank using Shoe Goo.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
It’s probably the low point drain for the tank. There should be a valve somewhere between the tank and that pipe that may be partly open or leaking. You should not have to remove any panels to see the valve although you likely will need to look hard.
FMCA member