cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pressure

hermosilloleos
Explorer
Explorer
New to forum and we are in our 3 years as RV owners.
Our 03 Itasca has a Shure flow pump and a shure flow accumulator tank.
The pressure in the accumulator tank is suppose to be 20 psi.
About a year ago I notice it had 10 psi and now its at 0.
I tried to pump it up but it will not hold any pressure.
We have notice no pressure difference.
Winnebago Ind. told me since there is no pressure diff. not to replace it.
I appreciate any feed back.
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
There are two VERY different styles of accumulators. The better ones have a bladder that separates the air chamber from the water. Pump them up to pump cut in PSI minus 2 PSI. So around 22 PSI for most RV pumps. This is done with pressure water OFF, shore water OFF and a faucet opened to drain off residual pressure.

Less expensive accumulators are just sealed containers. These will eventually loose their air pocket and that air pocket needs to be re-established.

So, good place to start is to look up the brand of accumulator you have to see which kind it is.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

fltrker
Explorer
Explorer
When dry camping our water pressure is very low as it runs off of the pump. Can we purchase a better/ stronger pump to install without any adverse problems?

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
You can't add air to the tank because the tank is full of water and water in not compressible. There is not room for the air.

Over time the air in the tank is absorbed by the water and gets pumped out, eventually leaving a tank full of water but no air space.

Shut off the water supply and the pump. Open the waterlines to and from the tank. Allow all the water to drain from the tank.

The tank is now full of air at normal air pressure. (Zero psi differential)

Reconnect the water lines, turn on the water supply and pump.

If you wish you can now add a little air, as someone said above, no more than 3 psi. Just a stroke or two with a bicycle pump.

As water is pumped into the tank it will compress the air in the tank until it is equal to the pressure of the pump.

And you are good to go--until next time which may take years.

Note that there is not much air in the tank and every time you check the pressure you let some out. I never check mine: If the water pulses too much out of the faucet I know I need to let more air into the tank.

stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Yeah those can take VERY low psi of air.... Check with the manufacturer. I have one in my home that is 3psi

3 PSI?
This one comes preset @ 10 PSI.
The instructions @:
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/marine-and-rv/jabsco-water-pressure-systems/pressure-system-accessories/30573-0002-mini-accumulator-tank.htm
state: "For best results, donot pressurize tank above 20 psi".
Mel

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah those can take VERY low psi of air.... Check with the manufacturer. I have one in my home that is 3psi
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
To add air to the accumulator, first turn off the pump, open a faucet to relief pressure in the line. Now you can add the air, be easy it does not take very much. Bicycle pump type
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

hermosilloleos
Explorer
Explorer
Mel, the accumulator is the unit that we tried to pump up but did not hold or take.
Winnebago comment was that if there was no change in pressure or performance do not replace.
Thanks

stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
hermosilloleos wrote:
New to forum and we are in our 3 years as RV owners.
Our 03 Itasca has a Shure flow pump and a shure flow accumulator tank.
The pressure in the accumulator tank is suppose to be 20 psi.
About a year ago I notice it had 10 psi and now its at 0.
I tried to pump it up but it will not hold any pressure.
We have notice no pressure difference.
Winnebago Ind. told me since there is no pressure diff. not to replace it.
I appreciate any feed back.
Thanks

They told you "not to replace it"?
What do they mean by "it"??

When you said you "tried to pump it up but it will not hold any pressure" I assume you mean the accumulator tank.
If you can not successfully add air to the accumulator and bring it up to the PSI specified by ShurFlo, I would replace it.
Mel

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The accumulator tank smooths out the water flow so your pump doesn't have to work as hard. It does not boost your water pressure. It also stops the water hammer, but it's main function is to even out the flow of water between your pump and the faucets. If everything is functioning correctly, I wouldn't be too concerned..but, I'm in the "if it ain't broke, I'm not messing with it" crowd../

Since you indicate it will not hold any pressure, have you changed out the valve core?....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
my understanding of them is to stop water hammer in your lines. Could be wrong.