cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump shuts off all by it self

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
The other day I was just finished my shower and it worked fine worked fine , Then went to run the water and the pump was off. Turned it back on and a few hr I tried it again and it was off. It still works fine but this is new. My coach is 7 years old. Maybe a ground wire or a switch , I have never herd of this problem but thought I would see if any body has had this problems and what they found out.
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The most common cause of failure of a water pump latching relay is water corrosion. Most OEM's install the relay in the water bay area and anytime you get a leak from the water system or even just the humidity from the water bay will cause the relay to corrode and fail. Cleaning the contacs does not fix the relay. Instead of cleaning, take it apart and look at the circuit board. You will find tell tale corrosion and cleaning just temporarily makes it work. Doug

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the controllers are great. You can add a 100 water pump switches if you want, by just running one wire. They're a great system and most last a lifetime.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Glad mine doesn't have a control module!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If you have multiple water pump switches that are "momentary" switches (you push them and they spring back), you have a latching device for your water pump. The latching device looks like this.......

They're typically located within 12"- 24" of the water pump and are all the same. They're available at Amazon for about $35.00. I carry a spare.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Same with me it was the control module. Opened it up cleaned the contacts put it back together and now it works fine.
🙂 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ct78barnes wrote:
Then went to run the water and the pump was off. Turned it back on and a few hr I tried it again and it was off.

What indicates that it is "off" ?
The switch in the wrong position.......or an indicator light OFF ??

Either way, it is probably a switch going bad or a wire loose on the back of the switch.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ct78barnes wrote:
The other day I was just finished my shower and it worked fine worked fine , Then went to run the water and the pump was off. Turned it back on and a few hr I tried it again and it was off. It still works fine but this is new. My coach is 7 years old. Maybe a ground wire or a switch , I have never herd of this problem but thought I would see if any body has had this problems and what they found out.

Something similar happened to mine once. It would toggle between Off/On and On/Off seemingly randomly. I never did figure out what caused it but it went away as soon as I pulled the wires off the control module (inside the wet bay very near the pump) and cleaned the contacts.

Can't help other than that because they are very reliable and don't go bad very often so not much expirience.

Has there been rain where you are? I'm wondering if you got a drop of water or two on the control contacts or on the contacts of one of the switches? Check the basement pump switch first, if you have one.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like there's a latching relay or "pump controller" involved that's developed a mind of its own.