cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What constitutes a "new" tire?

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
I was dealing with a local supplier of Toyo tires and had an appointment set...until I told him I wanted the tires to be within 1 month of manufacture. That did not go over well and he said Toyo probably hasn't even made tires in 2021 yet, and that all that are available are tires from 2020.

So, why would one pay for new tires if they are not new?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
33 REPLIES 33

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree/6-9 months is quite acceptable. Then do your part afterwards by taking care of them.

grldst wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
They are new! Where is Toyo manufactured? If it's still Japan, how would you expect to find tires that are a month old? I have not looked into Toyo in many years so if they are now US built (not just distributed) I apologize!

Big TOYO tire plant about 20 miles north of Atlanta. Don't know just what tire sizes are made there but its a big plant.

Tires date stamped 6-9 months old are fine.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Have a set of 295/75R22.5's 10 years old on the back of my Kenworth T600. I use it to pull our 5ht with with. There still 70% thread on them. No dry rot nor showing any uneven wear. I will be swapping them out in a week or so. Not because I'm scared of them, just found a set of 14 month old tires for $125. each. These will last me longer then I need them. Or I sure hope so.
Now steer tires a different story. I lost a Steer tire a year ago Feb. That tire was only 14 months old. Still think I hit something unseen on the road. That was my second steer tire blowout over the last 40 years. First time was a 3900 mile Michelin steer tire. We got a bad batch of them in 1985. This last one was a Toyo. Replaced both with new Toyo's after that. Got lucky ordered them offline and they were 7 weeks old.
Now if I swap over to a Class A. Not sure I would take the chance of 10 year old tires. But would sure sure run them out to say 7 years. As long as there not showing dry rot.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
Anyone throwing away good tires because they passed some magic age, I'll take them!

im getting rid of six 10 year old samsons 275/70/22.5 next Tuesday.

the new tires were born 4820 and im ok with that
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone throwing away good tires because they passed some magic age, I'll take them!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
Just following up to say thanks for the tips...I bought the 6-month old Toyo's and all is well.

KangaBunnyRoux
Explorer
Explorer
I too would be okay for 6 months. I look hard at my tires at 5 years and aim for full replacement at 7. Likely start swapping one each time inspected at year 5 so I don't get a killer 2K bill all at once. I just got a road hazard flat after rolling over what looks like a huge nail, maybe a spike of sorts. 2.5 years old from date of purchase, with 1670 miles on them. Awaiting claim decision on reimbursement. You need read that in another thread. It was quite an ordeal. Corporate is working it for me now. But talk about disconnects on a routine situation.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
JALLEN4 wrote:
I'll tell you what doesn't make sense...this ridiculous misinformation that keeps getting spread about tire age on forums. If I still owned a tire store instead of being retired I would love it! At the current rate of travel, people on here will be advocating yearly tire replacements sometime in the near future!

The 5-6 year window is a myth to begin with. No less than Michelin, probably the worlds most trusted tire company, says 5-6 years is when tires should have a yearly INSPECTION. They state tires can last ten years but should be inspected for tread separation, bulges, etc annually after five years.

The reason tires deteriorate is because of UV exposure and exposure to the elements while in use. Tires stored in a warehouse certainly are not aging at the same rate as tires traveling down the road. Tires stored on a vehicle parked in a garage are not aging at the same rate as those sitting uncovered in a wide open parking lot.

Tires fail most often because they have been damaged while in use or because they are run at improper air pressures for their use. There is simply no reason to worry about a few months old new tire being installed as the aging process is no where equivalent to one in use. There are a ton of logistical reasons why tires are not immediate production line to mounting on a vehicle. By the same token there are a ton of reasons tire aging is not linear from the production line to the end of usability. People would be much better served to be concerned about tracking tire air pressures, weight load, and annual inspection instead of these amateur "the sky is falling predictions" you find on forums such as these.

Well I think he 5 year recommendation on trailer tires is accurate. Anyone that has had a tire go bad has been at the 5-6 year mark. You can't see the belts inside a trailer tire so an inspection doesn't tell you everything. But that is how I found a shifted belt on one of my 5 year old trailer tires. ST tires see different loads than a car/t I know/MH tire does. So that is why it is recommended. And you can't feel a tire going bad on a trailer because it is far behind you.

No my MH tires I will run until I see an issue. But yes hey should always be inspected. I found my failed tire when chocking it at a campground.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
fijidad wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
I would settle for tires up to 6 months old as new. Requiring one month, especially on a tire not made in the US is probably impossible. Only RVers are obsessed with the age of tires, especially if you replace at 6-7 years.

Thanks Ivylog. This is the first time I'll be replacing tires on a MH, so appreciate the well-reasoned response.

I think if I had a MH that used 22.5 or 24.5 tires I would talk to a local trucking co, offer to trade my original tires for some that had 50% tread. Tires that are 2 years old, and half tread will age out before wear out, in 4 years instead of 6. Win win

Well how many of you MISSED this is Class A MH?
The OP is likely looking at a less common tire size, so getting 30 day old tires is not likely going to happen, maybe six months. He is likely looking at true TRUCK tires, that a trucking operator would buy, run the tread down, then have capped at least a couple times.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
It is a commonly held belief within the tire industry that any tire within 6 years of the manufacture date can be sold as "NEW". I say "belief" because I know of no data that supports (or denies) this.

6 yrs or 6 months.

I seriously doubt you could get a manufacture to go on record saying a 6yr old tire is like new.

Also, are you talking about legally or realistically? Legally, new products that have not been sold before are considered "new". Find a dealer with a 1985 Ford Ranger that's been sitting at the back of the lot never sold, the dealer can legitimately sell it as new but realistically, they aren't going to lie and say it's a 2021 model.

If you read the rest of the post, I said they TESTED the tires and could not find a difference after 3 years. They did not test beyond that because they wanted to set a policy of 3 years and wanted data to back that up. No, they didn't publish the data - it was for internal use.

So what is the 3yr policy they were testing for?
- Can't sell a tire that has set in the warehouse for 3yrs: In that case, it's a flawed test. It should then continue out for somewhere around 8-10yrs as the 3yr mark doesn't test the impact on end of life condition.
- Buyers can use the tires for at least 3 yrs if they buy and mount them immediately after manufacture: Thanks for telling us the obvious.

This story doesn't make sense.

I think the key point you are missing is that tires age much more slowly when sitting in a warehouse compared to being in service.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
I'll tell you what doesn't make sense...this ridiculous misinformation that keeps getting spread about tire age on forums. If I still owned a tire store instead of being retired I would love it! At the current rate of travel, people on here will be advocating yearly tire replacements sometime in the near future!

The 5-6 year window is a myth to begin with. No less than Michelin, probably the worlds most trusted tire company, says 5-6 years is when tires should have a yearly INSPECTION. They state tires can last ten years but should be inspected for tread separation, bulges, etc annually after five years.

The reason tires deteriorate is because of UV exposure and exposure to the elements while in use. Tires stored in a warehouse certainly are not aging at the same rate as tires traveling down the road. Tires stored on a vehicle parked in a garage are not aging at the same rate as those sitting uncovered in a wide open parking lot.

Tires fail most often because they have been damaged while in use or because they are run at improper air pressures for their use. There is simply no reason to worry about a few months old new tire being installed as the aging process is no where equivalent to one in use. There are a ton of logistical reasons why tires are not immediate production line to mounting on a vehicle. By the same token there are a ton of reasons tire aging is not linear from the production line to the end of usability. People would be much better served to be concerned about tracking tire air pressures, weight load, and annual inspection instead of these amateur "the sky is falling predictions" you find on forums such as these.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
CapriRacer wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
It is a commonly held belief within the tire industry that any tire within 6 years of the manufacture date can be sold as "NEW". I say "belief" because I know of no data that supports (or denies) this.

6 yrs or 6 months.

I seriously doubt you could get a manufacture to go on record saying a 6yr old tire is like new.

Also, are you talking about legally or realistically? Legally, new products that have not been sold before are considered "new". Find a dealer with a 1985 Ford Ranger that's been sitting at the back of the lot never sold, the dealer can legitimately sell it as new but realistically, they aren't going to lie and say it's a 2021 model.

If you read the rest of the post, I said they TESTED the tires and could not find a difference after 3 years. They did not test beyond that because they wanted to set a policy of 3 years and wanted data to back that up. No, they didn't publish the data - it was for internal use.

So what is the 3yr policy they were testing for?
- Can't sell a tire that has set in the warehouse for 3yrs: In that case, it's a flawed test. It should then continue out for somewhere around 8-10yrs as the 3yr mark doesn't test the impact on end of life condition.
- Buyers can use the tires for at least 3 yrs if they buy and mount them immediately after manufacture: Thanks for telling us the obvious.

This story doesn't make sense.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:

6 yrs or 6 months.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you folks are nuts. Tire OCD perhaps.

I have tires (Bridgestone) that were purchased on Ebay in 2016, mounted OEM take offs from a GM truck on the OEM GM wheels . They were stored in my garage 2016 - 2019. They are currently on the truck with about 25K miles or so on them and are going strong. Manufacture date is 10-15. My only concern is the 2015 air in them.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
fijidad wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
I would settle for tires up to 6 months old as new. Requiring one month, especially on a tire not made in the US is probably impossible. Only RVers are obsessed with the age of tires, especially if you replace at 6-7 years.

Thanks Ivylog. This is the first time I'll be replacing tires on a MH, so appreciate the well-reasoned response.

I think if I had a MH that used 22.5 or 24.5 tires I would talk to a local trucking co, offer to trade my original tires for some that had 50% tread. Tires that are 2 years old, and half tread will age out before wear out, in 4 years instead of 6. Win win