cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your Class A MH today???

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun thread to watch, so I thought I would start one here.
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon
5,655 REPLIES 5,655

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
Well, since I'm getting to the party late, I'll catch y'all up to date with what we've done in the few months we've owned it.....
Wanted to balance the tires, but found out the steel 19.5's were out of round, so I replaced them with Alcoa aluminum wheels.
New tires all around
New shocks, because I found a few spots on the road where it was parked over night.
Banks kit with exhaust, air intake and computer chip, works like a champ too
All new LED lights for interior and baggage lights
Shampooed carpets
New 1 3/4" sway bar
New air bags for the front
New compressor on the front air bags with airless controller
Lubed entry steps
Adjusted compartment doors and lubed
aligned entry door, and lubed
New windshield wipers
New chassis battery
Repaired passenger front seat to swivel
Repaired dining table edge
Replaced awning fabric
Replaced entry light fixture
Repaired compartment behind right rear wheel, that had a blow out and completely bent so it was unusable

And, now I'm looking for a diesel pusher.....hahahahaha

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
Mike, I have one of those also. Care to share the specifics of the cylinder you used?

I bought the parts from Amazon. The part numbers are as follows:

RV Designer G22 20" gas strut with 20 pound charge.
RV Designer G825 3/4" gas strut brackets. (2 per package/1 pck req.)

Hope that helps.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, I have one of those also. Care to share the specifics of the cylinder you used?

As for those lucky enough to be able to play with their motorhomes in the winter, POO!
A few weeks ago I drove past the storage lot. Then I called them and asked why they didn't plow? The next day somebody was playing with a bobcat clearing snow!
So we pulled out and went to Pensacola!

4 days down, 2 days back, 5 nights in a beachfront full hookup 50 amp campsite = priceless.
Everything on and in and under the Knight worked as designed.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
One more small item I wanted to complete over the weekend on our motorcoach before the start of the new RVing season. I decided to finally replace that poorly designed door mechanism that Monaco uses. I don't know why they didn't get with the times like most every other manufacturer but they insisted on sticking with a poor out of date scissor type mechanism to hold the door open as well as act as a stop.

There have been a lot of write-ups over the years and I finally decided last fall that I had tightened up the scissor assembly for the last time and ordered the parts to convert it to the gas strut style.

Here is the only part where I really had to deviate from some of the other write-ups, my Dynasty had the small molded drip rail over the entrance door so it needed a small amount of trimming to clear the swing of the gas strut.

I then started measuring where I wanted to the bracket to mount on the coach. I ended up 4" back from the front of the door molding to the center of the first hole in the bracket. I also drilled a third hole in both brackets to give a little extra support.

I then opened the door to 90-degrees and marked where the bracket needed to be on the door itself. Then drilled and installed it.

This is what it looks like with the door closed.

Next I wanted to machine a couple of covers to cover the openings of the two OEM mounting brackets.

I used a pieced of .125" aluminum, measured, machined, drilled and countersunk the screw holes for the coach mounted piece.

I then used a piece of .188" thick aluminum that I flycut to flatten out, measured the bolt holes, drilled and countersunk for the rivets using a .375" end mill.

I made the part slightly oversize to completely cover the square recessed hole in the door itself. The part measures 1.5" x 3.0" overall dimensions.

I then flipped it over in the mill vise and machined the border to the exact size of the OEM bracket. This will allow the cover to orientate itself down into the recess of the door.

Cover installed on the coach inside the doorjamb.

Cover installed up on top of the door into the recess of the OEM bracket. Sadly this cover will never be seen up on top of the door. But I will know it is there and what it looks like.

All in all the complete job was quite easy and I highly recommend it to anyone who owns a Monaco coach with the scissor style door support mechanism.

Also not shown in the above pictures is after I completed the installation I touched up the heads of the six screws with some black paint to blend into the mounting brackets. It actually looks like something that should have come out of the factory this way.

Mike.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to head out tomorrow for a long weekend in Centralia,Wa to do some collectible and outlet store shopping. Also gonna try to get out to Ariel to Willapa Hills Creamery to get some excellent goat bleu cheese. Did some loading and started up the diesel to check out all the systems and while I had it running, just decided to try the gennie which hasn't wanted to start. Hit the preheat for 30 seconds and then the start button and it started right up. WOW. unplugged from shore power,dropped the temp on the A/Cs,hit the water heater switch and exercised the gennie for about 1/2 hour.shut it down, let it cool and then tried to start it again. Nope, no way.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
My steer tires showed up yesterday so I was able to get them installed and torqued onto the coach. I then took her for about a 15-mile test drive. Nice!!!

Have an appointment this afternoon to have the alignment double checked after making the alterations.

Mike.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
It's a basement heat pump and only has one zone. If it doesn't start the propane kicks in. I know I had the right heat source selected, far right on the selector switch. There was no high current draw as there should have been when the compressor kicked in. The unit was new 2012. I'll do a few more checks tomorrow using the generator. It won't run on the shore power where it is plugged in as the run is too long--a couple of hundred feet and the start draw drops the voltage to much. Just hope the mice didn't chew through any wires.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Started the generator, when it took over from the shore power I switched on the heatpump. Heat pump didn't start, the propane furnace took over instead. Too cold for the heat pump? About 7 or 8 C (45 F or so).

Then drained and refilled the dehumidifiers, and went out to check the batteries for water. They took about a litre (4 GCs) Glad I hadn't left them much longer.

Back inside went to wipe up a small spill on the counter--the paper towels are nothing more than a pile of shredded paper! :E Mice!

A quick look around didn't turn up any more sign, tomorrow we'll put the slides out and have a good look in all the cupboards and cupboards. I'll also see what I can of the heat pump wiring.

Shut the gen down--no shore power! Down at the breaker box the GFI had tripped. It reset without a problem.

Sigh.

At 45 degrees the heat pumps should start and still be effective putting out some heat. Maybe you did not set the thermostat right. Maybe you set it at furnace thinking you had set it for either zone 1 which is the rear heat pump or zone 2 which is the front heat pump. Plus you got to set it where it says heat pump.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Started the generator, when it took over from the shore power I switched on the heatpump. Heat pump didn't start, the propane furnace took over instead. Too cold for the heat pump? About 7 or 8 C (45 F or so).

Then drained and refilled the dehumidifiers, and went out to check the batteries for water. They took about a litre (4 GCs) Glad I hadn't left them much longer.

Back inside went to wipe up a small spill on the counter--the paper towels are nothing more than a pile of shredded paper! :E Mice!

A quick look around didn't turn up any more sign, tomorrow we'll put the slides out and have a good look in all the cupboards and cupboards. I'll also see what I can of the heat pump wiring.

Shut the gen down--no shore power! Down at the breaker box the GFI had tripped. It reset without a problem.

Sigh.

Outwest63
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the bushings for the anti-sway bar. Start to finish time for the project was 45 minutes. I was going to move the frame connection point and found that the original owner had replaced the OEM anti-sway bar with a Roadmaster anti-sway bar.

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! ZMotor!!! I just went to my rig in winter storage, through 2 feet of snow, opened her (Him ?) up, started it up and cracked open a beer. Outside temp was 2! While the engine ran I did my usual check of the top of each slide looking for water intrusion and in cabinets and around the floors for any sign of mickey and company! Let it run 30 minutes, finished with the beer, lock it up till next check 3 to 4 weeks inching to spring and summer.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
I have been needing to put new tires on our 2003 Monaco Dynasty. I have NOT been happy with the POS Goodyear G670 that were on the coach one bit. They have developed an irregular wear pattern and I thought I would have an alignment done prior to installing my new Michelin's.

The alignment was within spec but to the high side of the allowable thrust angle of the drive axle. Monaco Roadmaster rear suspensions are not adjustable, as many other heavy RV chassis are either. The guy who performed my laser alignment told me he wouldn't do anything with it as it was within the allowable range. That isn't me. Between he and I we calculated that the driver's side drive axle needed to move forward just under .125" and the tag axle slightly less than that.

On many heavy OTR trucks they use adjustable ends on their suspension links and Volvo uses an ecentric that allows for some slight adjustment. I thought about drilling the holes out and machining some ecentrics but wasn't sure if I wanted to lose any material on the chassis mounting points as well as several of them would be difficult to get a drill in due to space limitations.

Again, the gentleman who did the alignment suggested leaving it if there were no adverse handling issues. My wife and I like to travel mainly on two lane country roads when we travel and I notice that due to road crown the coach does drift off slightly when letting go of the steering wheel. On concrete interstates it is fine. I opted to move the driver's side forward .125" so it will actually help to hold to the road crown a bit.

First off, the reason for all this. Baby gets new shoes. Michelin XZA2 Energy tires in a 295/80R22.5 size. I am replacing all four drive tires, taking the two best tires from the drive axle and moving them to the tag axle and I will also be putting two new steer tires on. Good thing I am done paying for my son's college because there went a years tuition.:eyecrazy:

Here are the two trailing arms (control arms) that I will be removing to lengthen. Upper and lower on driver's side. Don't worry, all the weight of the coach is NOT sitting on those two jackstands under the hub. I have my 20-ton jackstands under the rear of the frame and those two 6-ton jackstands are merely holding the weight of the drive axle because I dumped the air out of the rear suspension to allow some movement of the axle.

Make-shift jig setup on my welding table. I clamped some large tubing down so I could make two borders to hold the trailing arm, take some measurements, cut and then insert the trailing arm back into the jig and clamp it to the correct length.

Cutting the trailing arm in my horizontal bandsaw.

I had measured the outside diameter of the square tubing of the trailing arms and had prepared for two separate methods of sleeving the trailing arm. I dug through my steel supply and found a piece of trailer hitch receiver tubing left over from one of the various trailer hitch projects. This measures 2" inside diameter and would work to sleeve the outside of the trailing arm. I was really hoping that the 2" square tubing that Roadmaster used for the trailing arms was .250" wall thickness because I also had a few small pieces of 1.5" O.D. x .250" wall square tube in my scrap bin. This would be my preferred method which would allow me to sleeve the trailing arm internally keeping the outside dimension the same as OEM. Not that sleeving it externally would be any weaker or stronger, just that I wanted to keep the trailing arm as near OEM appearance without sacrificing strength as possible.

All the planets were in alignment, the wall thickness of the trailing arm was .250" so I was able to use 1.5" square tubing to sleeve internally.:rocker:

I then went one step further and put the trailing arm back into the horizontal bandsaw and removed a .125" sliver of steel. This will allow me to have just enought of a gap in the joint to allow full penetration and let the weld bite hard into the inner sleeve as well as both halves of the trailing arm for a very solid link. In addition, I knew there would be some shrinkage or pull back putting that much heat and weld into the trailing arm. I actually set the overall length @ .156" thinking it would pull back approx. 1/32" upon cooling.

I also drilled a few .500" holes in both halves of the trailing arm to allow me to rosette weld (plug weld) the inner sleeve to the trailing arm. Root weld and rosette welds completed. For some reason I don't have any pictures of the internal sleeve but there is a 6" length of 1.5" square tubing inside the trailing arm.

While I was waiting for the root weld to cool slightly I decided to grab some polish and run a coat of polish around my wheels.

When my wife and I bought the coach in 2007 the previous owner had neglected the wheels badly. I don't think they had seen a coat of polish in their first four years. Upon our purchasing the coach, I removed all the wheels and polished them with a compounding pad using tripoli and jewelers rouge bringing them back to nearly new shine. Now once or twice a year I merely have to run around them with a coat of Busch's Aluminum polish and they look amazing and bead water off nicely.

I then moved on to complete to top pass on the trailing arm.

After cooling I threw it back into the jig to test for the final measurement. Dead nuts on @ 1/8" over the starting length. It shrunk back exactly where it needed to be.:rocker:

After cooling I applied a heavy coat of chassis paint, installed the lower trailing arm, removed the upper trailing arm and performed the exact same procedure. Here is the upper trailing arm completed and ready for paint.

Here is the upper trailing arm completed, painted and installed.

Here is the lower trailing arm completed, painted and installed.

Inner dual installed, Balance Master installed, Crossfire installed and torqueing the wheels on with my Proto 3/4" drive torque wrench. Yes that is snow that is starting to fall that you see on the ground. It started just as I crawled out from under the coach from tightening the last two bolts on the tag axle trailing arms.

View of completed project. You can see how much better it looks after all that work.:lol:

All in all, I am glad that job is done. Now to do another alignment just to confirm the modification.

Mike.

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
Resealed and cleaned the roof

BEisler
Explorer
Explorer
Drove past it sitting in storage and smiled, wishing for better weather when I can de-winterize and USE it! UGH!
Bill the Iceman
2015 Sportscoach Cross Country 360DL
North of Indianapolis

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Temperature was in the teens so I went and bought a 2nd Coleman Mach A/C to install. I just don't want it to get too warm.