cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Did You Do To Your Class B Today ?

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I see the other types of RV's having this type of thread. I did a search and could not find one here. 🙂

Yesterday, I drove mine to work to "excercise" it. I have driven it to work twice in the two weeks I have owned it.

In the two years I owned my Class C, I drove it to work ZERO times. :E
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds
1,574 REPLIES 1,574

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Cranked it up and while it was running I dusted the interior. Getting it ready for a potential buyer to see tomorrow.

MAU_MAU
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job on the repairs Cubey!

You have an interesting rig there. How many miles?
Roadtrek 170 Popular

Cubey
Explorer
Explorer
I went out today and put on the plumber's tape to secure the toilet drain pipe now it's nice and secure. Also attached the tether line for the cap.

Then I moved on to my furnace. I bought a new, rare thermocoupler for it from ebay ($25!) that has 2 blade connectors for wires. Must be some kind of safety function. Anyhow, replacing that didn't do the trick a month ago when I got it.

Today I took my air compressor over to the van and blew air into the controls of the heater, with the on/pilot/off valve taken apart.

I ended up having a weird problem getting the thermocoupler to thread back in at the thermostat controls.. so I grabbed the original and put it back.. threaded in fine.. so I figured I'd try it first.

Reassembled the on/pilot/off control valve wrong at first.. took me a little while to figure out the right way but finally did.

On first lighting try... it went out when I let go. Grr! I decided to try it again, figuring maybe it needed a little longer warm up time on the thermocoupler than the 30 seconds the instructions say. Lit it again... held it for another 15 to 20 seconds then let go ... SUCCESS!! It's working great now!

So I have a spare, hard to find thermocoupler for it. It's much longer than the original (the thin tubing part) but I could only one reliable source to even buy one.. ebay. Where there was ONE listed. Length shouldn't matter on it since it has a large open air area where the extra length can sit.

Also attached a cable hookup thing on the roof for the antenna hook up. Who ever put that antenna on... they just drilled a big hole and ran in coaxial and put a bit of silicon caulk around it.. which of course didn't seal worth a damn. But now it has a nice sealed connection. Looks a little funny because they put it on the slope so you can see it easily from the side but oh well. It's better than it was, for sure.
1987 F250 6.9 NA diesel / 81 HR Aluma-Lite 30'
Full timer!

Cubey
Explorer
Explorer
Got the toilet outlet all fixed! Cost me about $40 including a new miter box with saw. I only needed 4 inches out of a 24" ABS piece of pipe which was $12 by itself but that's how it goes. Still WAY cheaper than having a shop do the work for me. It sticks out about an inch further than I wanted it to. With the cap on, it sticks out past the running board by about half an inch. The piece sitting on the ground is what was original and was cut off. With the running boards, the outlet was too far set back in there, you had to get down on hands and knees to reach the cap. I used two 22.5 degree elbows to lower it down around the running board as you can see. The 4" of pipe I neded is between the two elbows. I just need to fit a block of wood between the running board and the pipe and use some plumber's tape (metal strapping) to secure the pipe so it doesn't bounce around, since it has no support at the end right now. Also need to drill a small hole and put a screw, washer and nut to secure the cap's tether line to the running board.

(NOTE: My van has a Thetford recirculating toilet. It's drain valve is inside at the toilet itself. That's why there isn't one at the outlet).

Full timer!

dirtyharryo
Explorer
Explorer
Was on way to garage to get the brakes looked at it has been pulling to the left, it quit running no 12 volt any place, it was less than a 1/4 mile from garage, had friend behind me she took me to garage. I don't know the all of it but the alternator quit working they had to special order the alternator, they went and got it, and fixed it for $460.00. I have the good sam road service plan and forgot about it, this was a few weeks ago when it was way below freezing. The front brakes were all rusted, the fluid was like oil, the hose was leaking, they put every thing new on front brakes for $250.00 I am Going to take it out this weekend. I had done my own work in the past but to old (69) to cold and no garage. I have two tool chests of mac and snap-on tools and don't use them any more I am just getting to old, might as well sell them.

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
Aikensbest wrote:
Gave the generator 40 minutes of exercise. Checked the tires..added air..drove to the next town to eat lunch and read a book during the afternoon. Temp reached 70 so very comfortable with no heat.

That kind of talk is not nice Bob. 70 degrees is not what we are used to up here in February. See you in Ohio. Say hello from us to Barb. Miss you guys.

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

jimervin
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the refrigerator and found two muffin fans for additional cooling of the radiator. Not sure if one is locked out by a thermodisc unless it gets hot there, both have switches in inside cabinet. More checks when I get around to it. Coach House really does a well built coach.
jim

Cubey
Explorer
Explorer
First I partly installed the new CB mirror mount. It's just hand tightened for now. Still need to buy the cable for between the antenna and the radio.

Then I moved on to the toilet drain outlet. I bought a Thetford to Valterra adapter for the toilet outlet yesterday but I don't like how poorly the Thetford connection fits holds, so I will be returning it. Instead I cut off the end of the pipe (seems to be black PVC schedule 40.. strange!) and will be installing a Valterra connection on the end. I wanted to extend the pipe out further due to the aftermarket running board that was installed at some point, making the hose hookup being very hard to get at. So not only will I have a common Valterra hookup, but I will have it extended out further than it came from the factory due to the running board. Tomorrow I will go to Lowes for the generic pipe parts and then back to the RV shop for the Valterra part I need.

Lastly, I replaced a 120v outlet that was a bit worn out. It had an old dark brown 70's one that wouldn't keep things plugged in very well anymore. I put in a new almond color one that is much easier to see due to the dark fake wood cabinets. It was so annoying trying to find it and seeing which way to plug in 3 prong stuff because it's installed horizontally.
Full timer!

Aikensbest
Explorer
Explorer
Gave the generator 40 minutes of exercise. Checked the tires..added air..drove to the next town to eat lunch and read a book during the afternoon. Temp reached 70 so very comfortable with no heat.
Aikensbest
2001 GreatWestClassic

Explorer
Explorer
Plugged into my house electric to charge the coach batteries.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Explorer
Explorer
MAU MAU wrote:
One of the things that I definitely do not like on some RV's is the dealer and/or manufacturer's 'free ad' sticker that rides around on the back. Some are ridiculously large to include the address, telephone and website information.

Today I removed the 'free ad' that Roadtrek placed on the fiberglass center of the Continental Tire kit on the back of my 170, and it looks 100% better.

I used GraphXoff, which is simply applied over the vinyl with a brush, and ten minutes later, it is easily pushed off with the soft scraper.

We ordered our Roadtrek in "stealth mode" - no decals and no identification that said Roadtrek or RV anywhere on the outside. I had not thought about the dealer's sticker at the time, but when we took delivery they pointed out that they left their sticker off because that did say RV all over it.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

rufcut
Explorer
Explorer
MAU MAU wrote:
I drove my Roadtrek 170 to have the propane tank refilled, did a few errands, and then spent the night in it all warm and cozy as it snowed outside.

My wife looked out of the bedroom window a few times during the night and could see me parked in our back woods.

She says its official."You've gone completely insane"

What can I say, I love my class B!

Sounds like me! 🙂

MAU_MAU
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things that I definitely do not like on some RV's is the dealer and/or manufacturer's 'free ad' sticker that rides around on the back. Some are ridiculously large to include the address, telephone and website information.

Today I removed the 'free ad' that Roadtrek placed on the fiberglass center of the Continental Tire kit on the back of my 170, and it looks 100% better.

I used GraphXoff, which is simply applied over the vinyl with a brush, and ten minutes later, it is easily pushed off with the soft scraper.
Roadtrek 170 Popular

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
MAU MAU wrote:
I drove my Roadtrek 170 to have the propane tank refilled, did a few errands, and then spent the night in it all warm and cozy as it snowed outside.

My wife looked out of the bedroom window a few times during the night and could see me parked in our back woods.

She says its official."You've gone completely insane"

What can I say, I love my class B!

AWESOME!
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

MAU_MAU
Explorer
Explorer
I am safe and sound, and not as Bud suggested, in the 'Dog House'

However, when the Bride is on the war path, I run to the ultimate Man Cave and hide out. The room gives her the creeps, and she has never set foot in it. Now I have to figure out how I can fit it all into my B.

Roadtrek 170 Popular