cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is this part called on the fresh water tank

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 Roadtrek Popular 190 on the Dodge 3500.
There is a clear/yellow/plastic type fitting on the fresh water tank (close to the axle) where the fresh water drain low point is located. This clear little plastic fitting appears to be slightly dripping some water. Not a lot of dripping, just a drop or two now and then. I was going to replace it but my Roadtrek dealer doesn't seem to know what it is called. Roadtrek dealer says its a FILTER. Doesn't look like a filter to me. I am trying to find out what the part is called and where to find it. Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

RnRs-RT
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will find that the line does also go to the pump. It depends just how you have the valve on the line turned on he city water hookup. It will fill the tank, throw the valve and it will draw with the pump. Very simple set up.

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
arm wrote:
The filter treads into the fresh water tank at the very bottom/side and the drain line threads onto the filter housing. Your fresh water fill tees into the drain line so it back fills the tank and it is only a screen filter. The clear plastic cover screws off to clean the screen. It is best replaced on a hoist if you can use one, but I have replaced them with wheel ramps, but laying on the ground is not my thing any more. This location is for 1994 to 1998 roadtrek's, on the Dodge chassis, that I have personally changed, and location may vary for other models, but the two different filters on the shelf were for a number of different years and models.

Good luck.

Thanks for this. I had always assumed that was the line going up to the pump, not coming in from the city fill. Where is the line that goes to the pump then? Is it inside the tank?

arm
Explorer
Explorer
The filter treads into the fresh water tank at the very bottom/side and the drain line threads onto the filter housing. Your fresh water fill tees into the drain line so it back fills the tank and it is only a screen filter. The clear plastic cover screws off to clean the screen. It is best replaced on a hoist if you can use one, but I have replaced them with wheel ramps, but laying on the ground is not my thing any more. This location is for 1994 to 1998 roadtrek's, on the Dodge chassis, that I have personally changed, and location may vary for other models, but the two different filters on the shelf were for a number of different years and models.

Good luck.
2011 Roadtrek 190 Versatile
1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular
1990 Dodge 2500 conversion
1982 Dodge 1500 conversion

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
arm wrote:
It is a filter, but it filters the water that comes from the diverter valve that you have on the city water hook-up. The one you turn to fill your fresh water tank when hooked up to city water. I purchased the unit at dealer for $16.29 CND last week. There are two kinds with different mounting so be careful.

Where abouts is this filter located? It would be nice if the OP had some pictures!

arm
Explorer
Explorer
It is a filter, but it filters the water that comes from the diverter valve that you have on the city water hook-up. The one you turn to fill your fresh water tank when hooked up to city water. I purchased the unit at dealer for $16.29 CND last week. There are two kinds with different mounting so be careful.
2011 Roadtrek 190 Versatile
1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular
1990 Dodge 2500 conversion
1982 Dodge 1500 conversion

RnRs-RT
Explorer
Explorer
GaryKH x2

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the same as on my 1996 D190P, then it's probably an inline filter. It would filter the water prior to it going on up to the pump. Takes about a 1/14" dia. screen? When i took mine out a couple of years ago, the filter really needed cleaning.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Is it the fresh water tank vent?
About 1/2 inch in diameter and screen on bottom?

X2, this is what I was thinking. OP just post a pic it would help a lot on this one.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is it the fresh water tank vent?
About 1/2 inch in diameter and screen on bottom?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
So the dealer believes in filtering the water before it's dumped on the ground? Is it after the shutoff valve? If so maybe some sort of connector for an extension. Pure speculation. X2 on the need for a pic.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Need a picture !
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad