cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s the normal CCC for a 30 ft. Class C?

Ron_forrester
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the answer is ‘it varies’. Fair enough.

I’ve never purchased an RV before. Class Cs look like a good choice for our family but I’m not sure what to expect in CCC ranges for different models.

what is the typical range for ~30 ft. Class C?

Ron
10 REPLIES 10

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron_forrester,

The others have given good advice. It really does depend upon the rig, and also upon the era it was constructed. You didn't mention if you're looking for used or new.

I remember when we were doing our research back in 2003/2004, the Fourwinds 28A or 28D models, which didn't have slides, had about 2,800 lbs. of cargo carrying capacity. We were a young family of 6, with dogs, so we knew we needed the CCC. Unfortunately, without slides, it didn't have the interior space we desired. I figured that with our family, we would need just about 2,500 to 3,000 lbs. of CCC. The Class C's with slides of that era just didn't offer what we needed.

Also, keep in mind the the CCC number by itself is a bit misleading. There are individual axle weight limits which also need to be respected. On many Class C's, you'll reach the rear axle weight limit before you reach the GVWR (related to CCC). In other words, part of the CCC number is generated by the load capacity of the front axle, but it's hard to load the rig to add weight to the front axle. In fact, anything you put behind the rear axle unloads weight from the front axle and adds it to the rear axle.

We ultimately decided to go with our 36' dual slide Class A in our signature which provided the space and weight ratings we figured we'd need. "Super C's" were not very popular then so they weren't really part of our research. But now they are.

If you find yourself needing more space and weight capacity than the typical C's offer, take a look at the Super C's, as well as some Class A's.

Good Luck in your search,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Ron_forrester
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the help.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Ron_forrester wrote:
what is the typical range for ~30 ft. Class C?

On the low side, ~1000 lbs. (Assuming this isn't a Sprinter, since you said ~30 feet. Those can be even less.)

Typical would be closer to 1500 lbs.

Mine comes on two platforms, with two different OCCC:
E-350: ~1400 lbs
Chevy 4500: a bit over 3000 lbs

The highest I've seen in a non Super-C was a 27' unit with no slides that was a little under 4000 lbs OCCC.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few more factors to consider... The larger the Class C the less, sometimes a lot less, CCC you will get. Options like slides and levelers draw heavily from the preexisting CCC. My 24' E-350 has over 3,000# and we often use most of that. The venerable E-450's usually have around 2,000# +/- which is fine for most folks. If you find one with 1,000# or less "Run Forrest run!" as you will quickly exceed it.

As noted above watch your rear axle weights as they are often exceeded and creatively load, which can mitigate somewhat the CCC/rear axle shortcomings of the larger C's. If you can't run with a full water tank {assuming black and gray ere empty} without exceeding your CCC you probably bought the wrong coach.

As always... Opinions and YMMV

:C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said, and you guessed, it varies.

In general it seems to vary between "barely sufficient" and "not at all enough." I suspect a good many of the motorhomes you see traveling the roads are overweight per the chassis specifications. (Since they are not commercial vehicles or trucks with registered weights, and since the axle weights are well below the DOT maximum, it's not illegal, though it is potentially unsafe or, at least, less safe and not gentle on the chassis.)

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
New or used, slides or no slides, like others say it will vary. I used to have a 29' E450 based C with no slides. It was well equipped, and had about 2200 lbs of listed CCC. In reality, if the dog decided to nap in the back of the rig, we were slightly overweight on the rear axle. Around that time (early 2000s) Jayco made a Granite Ridge model, 31' with two slides that had less than 1000 lbs of CCC. Fill up the water tank, load your family, throw in a pack of paper plates and a 12 pack of beer and you were overweight.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Be a “liberal” with available CCC. Water, propane, batteries, people, dog and stuff add up quickly. Not counting people…1000 to 1200 pounds easy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ron_forrester
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, very helpful 

NavManCan
Explorer
Explorer
This dealer usually adds an OCCC estimate in the specs on their current new inventory. Keep in mind it's only an estimate, but I believe they're usually pretty close.
https://www.lichtsinn.com/

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
No one can answer that question because there are E350's E450's 24' length, 30 plus length. Every model is different, you need to do a search for each model you're looking at
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400