cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What the heck? I thought motorhomes lost value fast!!

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at 2015 forest river fr3 30ds class A motorhomes and see average asking price for low mileage ones is $65,000 to $70,000. Found an old ad from 2014 for a brand new one for $79,911 !! What the heck!!!!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze
33 REPLIES 33

Lee_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree, 2022-2023 there are going to be a lot of lightly used RV's for sale, so many that it might even mess with the new market as sales are up 54% right now! These aren't like cars and how most people NEED them. Nobody needs an RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
The prices of motor homes seem to be good (for sellers) right now, which worked for me. I sold a 2020 Winnebago Intent 30R last month, that I bought 11 months earlier. I lost about 7% off the purchase price, not counting sales tax which was about another 6% out the window. And I sold it to a big dealer just because I wanted to get out quick and easy.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

OCwildlife
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago 2019 was less than they sell for now. Supply and demand indeed. I would say now is not the time to buy a 3 year old RV to save money...if you can find one similar to what you want, in stock, new, buy now.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
When I got into class Aโ€™s 13 years ago CrankyApe web RV auction site was huge. All those Class Aโ€™s were getting repoโ€™ed. Give it time.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen the one's with no slide outs took a bigger hit .
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
It really reflects that itโ€™s the currency value that is dropping like a rock!

Everything costs more to buy wages are higher than ever!

You only need to look at a few old ads from just after World War 2 and compare the prices to understand whatโ€™s going on!

Itโ€™s called runaway inflation !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Granted list and sale are two different things but it's still nuts. I've seen listings for the same make and model year I have in the driveway at $2K less than what I paid back in 2011.

Wish I had remembered to make some CG reservation for July. Nothing but waiting lists now and not many choices for early August. 2011-2016 were some pretty good times looking back.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dad4papa2 wrote:
Interesting article on our local news last night was about the RV world right now. RV Sales are increasing way above normal. Seems as if people are looking more into RV's than ever before caused what they say by the Covid! They are fearful of staying in Motels and hotels and this is an alternative to keeping safe and still being able to travel. Just an article I heard on TV news and not my opinion but certainly makes since that the prices would increase from heavy demand!!

Dad

Yes, this is not news. Been happening for a year now. Everything camping related is impacted by COVID. From values being inflated, huge demand, low inventory, supply chains for parts impacted, and CG's full to the gills requiring further advanced reservations.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
3 years ago I paid $1750 for a 1987 Class A Gulfstream with 14,000 miles, and it cost $40,000 new. Ford 460 with C-6. By the time I got it running right and made all repairs, modifications, and customizing I had spent enough to the point where I would lose money by selling, even though I did all the work myself. But it's too much fun to even consider that! It runs better than new and looks great.

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting article on our local news last night was about the RV world right now. RV Sales are increasing way above normal. Seems as if people are looking more into RV's than ever before caused what they say by the Covid! They are fearful of staying in Motels and hotels and this is an alternative to keeping safe and still being able to travel. Just an article I heard on TV news and not my opinion but certainly makes since that the prices would increase from heavy demand!!

Dad
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
A 50+ year old farm tractor like mine sold recently near here for a little over THREE times what my grandfather paid for mine when it was new.

Depreciation is a non-existent thing today.

That's a little different situation. Depreciation eventually bottoms out and then the underlying condition and value of the item takes priority. Depreciation probably maxed out on your tractor at around 15-20yrs. After that inflation started pulling it back up relative to the non-inflation adjusted original price.

Of course a good tractor can be completely functional at 50yrs, so it retains a good underlying value.

Your average run of the mill 1970 RV in typical condition has a underlying value of a few dollars based on the scrap metal.

But to the OP's original post, once you update that to actual sales prices, 5yrs is likely resulting in 30-50% reduction in prices. Pretty typical depreciation.

CASE IN POINT....this weekend the Decades channel was showing the rerun of the TV series "Route 66". Buz and Todd drive a 1962 Corvette Stingray that sold for a little over $4000.00 brand new. Worth a bit more today!!!!

Gonefshin
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2015 Fleetwood Flair. Made the guy an offer. He accepted and said he had a lien on it. I said I would pay off the loan and give him what was left. He said he owed $5000 more than he was selling it for. NADA was 5k more than asking. He still owed 50k on it. He made many upgrades to it. Iโ€™m happy!

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Everybody seemed to latch onto RVing as the best way to socially distance while on vacation, dealers can't keep units on their lots. Camping World is running an ongoing campaign on FB saying "Why store it when you can sell it? We will buy your RV!" 2020 was the best *ever* year for RV sales even though the industry lost a few months of production.

Consensus seems to be that by 2022 the RV market will flip to being a buyers' market as many of the folks that bought RVs in the covid period decide that they don't like RVing and look to unload their lightly-used units.

If you don't have to buy right now, wait another year and you'll get a much better deal.

I agree. And factor in the "I have to pay HOW MUCH to store this" factor and 2022 might be a nice buyers market as you say.

Al