Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel simulators, tire valve extensions and other questions

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Lost both of our rear-wheel simulators last summer on a trip. They held on fine for the 3 summers prior but I am guessing they could not grip as well any more. They were the cheap kind that used spikes to gouge into the metal on the inside of the rim to stay in place. I had even just paid someone to re-rivet the center hub sections in place as some of the original cheap/inadequate rivets had given out on one of them and it was flopping around. Grrr...

-Anybody have a recommendation on some wheel simulators that are kept in place by an alternative method such as by a lug nut or something? I am not looking to spend a lot of money on these, they don't have to be the best and brightest so-to-speak.

If nothing else, a good source/price for the original type of simulators (gouging kind). The rims are already all scratched/gouged up at this point anyway.

-Current recommendations on the best metal valve extensions that don't use braided hose etc.? Previous searches talked about the ones supplied by the "tire man" at this link: tire-man
Any other sources/recommendations/experiences on those?

-Plastic safe and more importantly food grade JB Weld-type of product. My water tank leaks at the fill port. The plastic "nipple" attatched to the tank that the fill hose screws into is coming separated at the bottom. Has a small hole/crack. I cannot fill the tank all the way and it leaks while filling. I am probably leaving 15 or more gallons behind due to the need to leave the level so much lower than the fill port due to sloshing while driving. Not good for someone that likes to go places with no hookups.

-Tires: I would ask about recommendations on those for our class C but there are a lot of threads here to go through...guess I will wade in.

Thanks all. Appreciate it.
9 REPLIES 9

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus and drewe:

Thanks for the tips. I googled the plastic welding online for the fix on the water tank. Looks like the better solution.

Now I need to find someone that can do that work, or a minimum, the supplies to try it myself. I am doubting a "rod" of polyethylene is easy to find locally to use in the "welding." Time is running out for shipping.

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a set of the pacific duallies. Originally only wanted the rears, but the full set shipped and arrived quicker and within my timeline to have them installed with new tires. Of course when I went and back a day or so later and looked at the rear-only option on amazon, that option now showed shipping as quick as the full set..... grr.

Ordered a set of the steel valve stems from the tire shop. I tried to contact the tire-man a couple of times but as was mentioned, the phone numbers appear inactive/deactivated.

We'll see how it all works out when I get them installed along with new tires. Tread is marginal after 42k miles of out-west travel.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
In the 14 years and 38,000 miles of driving, we never had trouble with our wheel simulators but I always wanted Alcoa wheels with Borg valve extenders and decided to do the upgrade when buying new tires. CLICK HERE to see them on our rig. I am happy with my $1620 decision. I sold 4 of my original 6 steel wheels with original tires for $400, and separately sold the original wheel simulators with valve extensions for $100 to reduce the overall investment to $1120.

I see the Alcoa wheel package HERE just had a price increase from $1500 to $1600.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Simulators and extensions, don't like them. Lug nuts if coming loose will leave a rust stain, can't see it with simulators. Almost lost a $400 tire due to failed extension.

Holding tank leaks, do not bother with different glues and adhesives. Unless you want to put a screen door in the bottom of a boat the Flex stuff is not good for much.

Your fresh water tank is a whitish, clear color? Google how to weld polyethylene or RV fresh water tank, sounds difficult but very easy to do and works well. Do not need to buy a welding kit for one simple repair.

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
There are very few epoxies or other adhesives that stick well to polyethylene, which is the (translucent) plastic most RV water tanks are made from. Fittings are generally welded in place at the factory, from what I understand. If enough of the cracked fitting is attached and it's big enough, perhaps you could drill it out and tap it and thread in a nipple or something.

That has been my concern: finding the right adhesive/epoxy. The plastic used on the water tanks definitely seemed like a type that would be hard to find something compatable with it.

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate it.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
There are very few epoxies or other adhesives that stick well to polyethylene, which is the (translucent) plastic most RV water tanks are made from. Fittings are generally welded in place at the factory, from what I understand. If enough of the cracked fitting is attached and it's big enough, perhaps you could drill it out and tap it and thread in a nipple or something.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a variety of extensions and simulators. The lug nut variety of simulator we had required a really thin flat washer between the simulator and the simulator lug nut cap keep it from flapping around. Otherwise it was a nice design but I had to search all over to find that special washer. The grip type simulators fell off after a couple hundred miles, so that was a waste of money. Currently I've sprayed the rims with grey metallic paint and it looks just as nice so we'll stay with that solution (at least until the can runs out).

We're well satisfied with Firestone transforce HT, and keep them aired up right at Discount Tire stores.

We have straight metal extensions for the inners and the U style for the outers, but the simulators usually have to get removed, and sometimes the tires too. The fronts have plastic straight extensions and they work just fine.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best type of simulators are like the ones in This Video

Pacific Dualies have many types for a lot of applications,I have them on my Class C. I got them at a better price on E Bay from Infmotor

As for the metal valve extensions the best are the ones from the Tire Man,I have them on my RV for more than 10 years with no problems. But sadly Chuck has passed and the website is up but no longer in business. The next best is the one from Tire Shop Dually Valve . A clone of Chucks original design but a pretty good product.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C