cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where is quality?????

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
We winter in Florida. During the past two winters 7 people in the campground I stay at have bought new RV's. They were of various makes. All of them, All of them required service and repair in the first couple of months!!!! Where is quality in the manufacture of RV's????
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel
70 REPLIES 70

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problems exist whether you buy a $20,000 trailer (or less) or a $2,000,000 Prevost (no that number is not wrong). There are so many layers of "quality". Is it the problem with the chassis, the converter or the manufacturer of the hardware. There are so many people involved and so many people responsible for the various parts and components it's impossible to expect a perfect coach coming out of the factory. I would not expect the car I drive off the showroom floor to be perfect either so I am not sure why this seems to be such a point of contention.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
oneolddog wrote:
I can only speak for Class A Diesel Pushers. They are getting better and better all of the time. As they became heavier manufacturers ran into issues with overweight front axles etc. This has been resolved for the most part. The 2006 - 2010ish range saw a lot of other issues from Tiffin and others. These problems seem to have been fixed. They are not only made better but floor plans have greatly improved and 'all electric' Coach's are now the most popular for many good reasons. If I was looking at used I would try and stay to 2012 and newer!

Just because its an expensive diesel is no more a guaratee of quality issues.
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you had a house built in 3-5 days? Was it perfect from the get-go? If you want them perfect then you had better insist that the dealer and you go over every inch of the thing before you hand over the check. All the dealers want is your money and I guarantee they won't remember your name when you drive it out of the lot. If you are the mechanically ignorant soul that believes what the dealer tells you, then you are in trouble.
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
After reading more into this slide problem it sounds like newmar screwed up and this full wall slide requires kid glove treatment every time its deployed
they should have never installed and sold this extremely convoluted system
I bet we hear and see a lot of problems regarding this issue over the next few years.
heres another unhappy newmar owner on the same thread
Good Gosh!! And I thought I had a long long list of problems taking 2 separate trips back to Nappanee with my 2015 Dutch Star but yours really takes the cake. Doesn't Newmar do any kind of all systems check out after these coaches are thrown together by what must be a totally untrained assembly line?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
I have a 2016 Newmar Mountainaire. I have had nothing but problems with the shades, windshield wipers coming off, macerated pump hose defects, slide outs that do not function and the largest slide out did not function and tore the wall loose and caved ceiling in. Has anyone had problems like this on such a new home?

found this on irv2 net

The initial post doesn't cover the full story. There is now speculation as to was the full slide was deployed correctly. Something like this rarely, if ever, happens unless there were other issues to cause it.

The shades, windshield wipers, hose defect have nothing to do with manufacturer quality. They come from different companies.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

oneolddog
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
I have a 2016 Newmar Mountainaire. I have had nothing but problems with the shades, windshield wipers coming off, macerated pump hose defects, slide outs that do not function and the largest slide out did not function and tore the wall loose and caved ceiling in. Has anyone had problems like this on such a new home?

found this on irv2 net

I saw this too. I would like to hear more about this as if it isn't exaggerated it is a rare occurrence. Newmar's Mountainaire full wall slide uses the same HWH system that is in all of the Dutchstars and up.
2009 Allegro Bus 36QSP (Sold March 2011)

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer

found this on irv2 net

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Cmon! You guys are asking tough questions and you'll scare the OP away.I ahd a Peterbilt and in 400,300 miles it was in the shop every other week. Had to get the oil changed and have it greased and washed and you know all the normal maintenence. It was in the shop 1 time for 2 hrs when a Injector melted.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
crasster and rgatijnet1 both nailed my concerns. I'm not interested in an electric fireplace, granite counters or a washer dryer in the unit. We want a basic reliable. I want the floor furnace to work when I turn it on, I don't want to go 200 miles out of my way to the dealer to get a part that cannot be found locally. I don't want to deal with problems when we've not even driven out of state. We bought our former unit used and expected we would have to fix things. I did not plan to drive directly back to the dealer before we got our new unit home to replace a tail light that didn't work.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

oneolddog
Explorer
Explorer
I can only speak for Class A Diesel Pushers. They are getting better and better all of the time. As they became heavier manufacturers ran into issues with overweight front axles etc. This has been resolved for the most part. The 2006 - 2010ish range saw a lot of other issues from Tiffin and others. These problems seem to have been fixed. They are not only made better but floor plans have greatly improved and 'all electric' Coach's are now the most popular for many good reasons. If I was looking at used I would try and stay to 2012 and newer!
2009 Allegro Bus 36QSP (Sold March 2011)

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
been following this for an few days now, and I'm wondering how many people complain just to complain. I think one person said here that if you own a motor home you better have a toolbox full of tools. Ive had two motor homes, and they both have been relatively trouble free. a few small minor bumps, but I've always kept on maintenance and items before they became issues. I thunk most mag's try to build a quality product
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
You can pay what you want, if you think Foretravel hasn't had to fly techs out to fix nightmare issues with coaches you're nuts. Everyone has built a lemon.

that's fact and why I laugh when someone touts a foretravel as the end all to be all of Rv,s

Foretravels & Newell are great. But I laugh too when people say they are definitely more problem free. We've seen brand new Foretravels at shows with wall panels that were broken/fallen off at RV shows and laying on the bed, messy grout tile work, etc. We went to see a 1 year old Newell, and the salesman apologized that he couldn't get the AC working because the coach was having electrical issues, he was on the phone with Newell, the electrical bay was open. All RVs have more issues than a Toyota Prius:-(
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
You can pay what you want, if you think Foretravel hasn't had to fly techs out to fix nightmare issues with coaches you're nuts. Everyone has built a lemon.

that's fact and why I laugh when someone touts a foretravel as the end all to be all of Rv,s

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We've had minor issues regardless of how much we paid for our units. Fortunately I can pick up a wrench or screw driver and fix most of the issues people rush over to the dealer for. We've had leaky fittings in our Newmar, DRV and ironically the only trouble free unit we had was our first travel trailer from forest river which was 15k. We had an engine leak in our Newmar that took Cummins 3 years to finally fix. Our DRV wasn't really built well either. The roof staples they used were pulling up and when the bedroom air came on you could hear the plywood rattling.

2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold